Triglot
United States
Joined 4561 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 56
25 April 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
clugston is hysterical. Linguistics is a wonderful field, and I'm sorry that I didn't stay the course and complete a PhD. In many ways, the most wonderful days of my life were those in grad school.

I think clugston underestimates the tremendous amount of practical knowledge about language learning you can find in this forum.

Clugston brings back memories of cranky professors :)

steve
1 person has voted this message useful

pansitkanton
Diglot
Philippines
Joined 4396 days ago

6 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog*
Studies: Korean

Message 42 of 56
02 May 2012 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
I agree on some points he raised, but I strongly disagree with the idea that many
Philippine languages have so much vitality. True enough Tagalog is alive as well as many
major languages, but there are some under that umbrella that are on the brink of decline
(or already on it) like Kapampangan and Pangasinan. I also don't know how these linguists
he says are looking up to the language planning situation in the Philippines because IMO,
it's one of the most oppressive, pathetic, ill-conceived in the world.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ArleneJoyce
Diglot
United States
Joined 4317 days ago

6 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Tagalog, Ancient Greek

Message 43 of 56
15 July 2012 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
As a native English speaker who lived in the Philippines for 15 months, I found I did
not need either Tagalog nor Filipino to "get by". Nearly everyone I encountered from
the university faculty to the janitor in our apartment building spoke enough English to
get by. But when I really wanted to fit in -- to understand the humor, the subtleties
in the relationships between people, and the nuances in a highly-nuanced culture,
Filipino was really needed, even in Manila.

When I spent time in rural Nueva Ecija, Tagalog was imperative. Many people had
English skills, but were much too shy to use them. If I spoke Tagalog first,
especially because I spoke so poorly, people had much more confidence in speaking to
me, even in English. And Tagalog is the only language many of the village elders
speak. So if you want to spend any time in rural areas, and really make close friends,
even in Manila, do spend your time learning Tagalog. Even my Ilocano friends took it
as a compliment that I made an effort to earn Tagalog. Even though it was not their
particular language, it was a sister language.

There is one other major benefit of learning Tagalog. Many Filipinos expressed to me
that they use English because it is harder to speak about technology, business, and
administration in Filipino. They prefer to use English to text because it is shorter.
But when they want to talk about feelings and family and the truly important things in
life, you can actually hear the English disappear. For me, Tagalog is rich in its
nuances about the relationships between people, and it reveals the cultural importance
of interpersonal relationships in a way that other (European) languages I know do not.
9 persons have voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4284 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 44 of 56
08 September 2012 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Is Tagalog a dying language? A sober answer would be: No.

Is Tagalog the same as Filipino? Practically speaking, Yes.

Is there a true form of Tagalog spoken in the rural areas far away from foreign influence? Is there a true
form of (insert your mother tongue) in the rural areas far away from foreign influence?

But indeed, the Tagalog spoken in some provinces, such as Lubang island which I visited in 2007, will give
you a glimpse of what Tagalog must have sounded like a few decades ago.

Edited by Duke100782 on 08 September 2012 at 3:21pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

pansitkanton
Diglot
Philippines
Joined 4396 days ago

6 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog*
Studies: Korean

Message 45 of 56
24 November 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Interesting input, Duke100782.

I had a classmate in my masters class who is from Alabat, Quezon. She was insisting
that their native speech is a different language from Tagalog. When she was asked to
give out words commonly used, they are indeed quite far (and presumably archaic) from
the Tagalog many know. However, when asked to construct a complete sentence, the syntax
and inflection is obviously Tagalog.

Aside from huge lack of linguistic study in the Philippines, dialectology is also a
huge black hole in many of our languages. One very interesting area is how to reconcile
the differences (and similarities) between Dabawenyo, which many say is a different
language, Davao Cebuano, other Mindanao variants of Cebuano and Boholano, also
contended to have already split from Cebuano.
2 persons have voted this message useful

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6056 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2

Message 46 of 56
25 November 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
trainspotted11 wrote:

I predict that in the near future, maybe 10 years, Tagalog will be a thing of the past.
Like when I lived in Pangasinan, Everyone spoke Tagalog and English, so Pangasinan was
slowly fading away. The same is happening to Tagalog.

So, are you saying that once Tagalog disappears in 10 - 15 years time, the Philippines
will become a completely English-speaking country?

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4561 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog

Message 47 of 56
26 November 2012 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
I continue to be astounded by people predicting that Tagalog is dying.

Just walk down the street in Manila and listen to people talking.

Just walk down the street in pretty much any of the the Tagalog provinces.

Just turn on cable channel TFC, the Filipino channel, which broadcasts to an audience of Filipinos who live outside the Philippines, a group of Filipinos who speak English (and other languages) at a much higher level than the average Filipino back in country, and listen to what people are speaking. Tagalog is spreading to provinces where other Filipino languages are commonly spoken, so perhaps some of those languages are in decline.

There are many languages in the Philippines; some are becoming rarer. Tagalog has tens of millions of native speakers. With tens of millions of native speakers, I don't see how the language could be in any danger of dying out. There are millions of native speakers of Tagalog who are under 15. I think many outsiders don't understand how normal it is in the Philippines for people to speak several languages.  English when talking about computers, Ilocano when talking to grandma, Tagalog when talking to Susi (from the Visayas), and Kapampanga when talking with high school friends. Add this to the tremendous number of languages in the Philippines, and it can become difficult to figure out exactly what's going on.

I think that we are a long time from when most Filipnos will be unable to understand what's going on in the soap opera, when the wife comes home and finds her husband with his girlfriend and yells, "Hayop! Layas!"   

steve

Edited by sfuqua on 26 November 2012 at 6:20am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 48 of 56
05 December 2012 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Raчraч Ŋuɲa wrote:
I am aware of this situation you're describing, but I think the problems are too
systemic/endemic to cure.

I would assume that most Filipinos you've talk to are US residents, or mostly those
you've meet have 'good enough' English that they have enough confidence to talk to you.
If they've grown up in USA, then they wouldn't be fluent in Filipino. Most Filipinos
don't value much their languages by passing it to the next generation.

If they were born in the Philippines, then there will be other complications:

1) Filipino is not the native language of the majority (70%+) of Filipinos in the
Philippines. Some of these people have great pride in their own native languages as
well, so would rather talk to you in English, or would mix their English with only a
few Filipino words that they know of if talking to someone who talks Tagalog. They
would not spend a great deal of effort learning Filipino, as that is nothing more than
Tagalog, which is being foisted on them.

2) The Tagalog of well-off urbanites, especially in Metro Manila, is heavily
Anglicized. This is because Filipino/Tagalog does not possess the technical vocabulary
that English has and the language commission has not come up with any equivalent
technical vocabulary. And this borrowing happens not just for technical words but also
for common everyday words, because English is the medium of instruction of almost all
schools, thus Filipinos have been trained to use English to express themselves
intellectually. Business is conducted in English. Books, movies, and laws are mostly in
English. They would only switch to Tagalog if the expression is an untranslatable
cultural artifact.

Most rich Filipinos have colonial mentality too and fixated with English. Most of the
these rich Filipinos would not use Filipino even if it has all those technical lexicon
because it is the language of the masses. They don't want to be like the masses. As one
beauty contestant put it, she only talks Tagalog with the maids. or chauffeurs. And
this mentality is trickling to the masses.

Also, the Philippines has the largest call-center industry in the world, bigger than
India, and these are mostly located in big cities and uses English. Being employed in
this industry is an "in" thing. Heaps of young people aspire to break into this
industry. And this industry continues to grow in double digits.

So you can see that the whole system makes English dominate the other native languages.
This is why Filipinos switches into English most of the time, because they are simply
unable or wouldn't want to speak straight Filipino.

3) Tagalog spoken outside of these areas and in the lower social strata gets less and
less English admixture the farther you move out. They can speak it correctly, but would
have limited vocabulary outside of what's commonly used in their daily life, say 5,000
more or less words?

What's the more likely future? I think Philippines will have another creole language.
It has a Spanish creole (Chavacano) and now it will have an English creole (Taglish).

How to stop this? Remove English from being an official language. That is unthinkable
though since Filipinos will suddenly find that they have neglected their own for far
too long, that they can't walk without those crutches. In one sense, the Philippines is
still an American colony. Too bad most Filipinos are oblivious to it.

Am I Filipino? Yes, but I strive to speak my native language as much as I can with as
little borrowing as I can, but sorry, it's not Tagalog. Can I speak Tagalog without
code-switching? No, but I can write Tagalog without code-switching, provided I have a
bilingual dictionary.

There are a lot of immigrants from the Philippines in my city. Going to the mall usually implies that I will hear Filipino (although to be honest, it could also be some other language of the Philippines). Admittedly, the people I hear are mostly older, say 50's and on.

In any case, I wondered about learning Tagalog because of this important segment of population, but after hearing your description of the linguistic situation... I give up.

This discussion contains 56 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version