2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 65 of 72
19 January 2012 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
leosmith wrote:
FuroraCeltica wrote:
At that point, it is perfectly fair to be critical.

On this forum, it's always fair to be critical. If someone says something you disagree with, regardless if they are
getting paid for it, feel free to state your opinion.

In fact, this is the controversial method of learning languages.
If we disagree, we start interactions and we learn.
So...I strongly disagree...

touche
2 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5868 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 66 of 72
20 February 2012 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
I wrote a little intro to the Moses FLR method on my blog @

http://mainlymagyar.wordpress.com./

I'll check back in here from time to time and let you know my progress

how's your -first- second month going? :P

btw, FLR course's new version http://youtu.be/p9iC3-jWKIc

Edited by tmp011007 on 21 February 2012 at 3:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4821 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 67 of 72
07 August 2012 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Just wondered if there was any update from the people who were using this method?

Did you continue with it Liddytime? What are your thoughts?

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6028 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 68 of 72
07 August 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Sorry it has taken so long to correspond. Started a new job recently and things have been crazy busy.

I did not continue with the road-runner method. I'll try to write a full review at some point.

It is just not my style. It works well for Moses but I just can't learn languages out of context like he does. Personally, I do much better with a structured course which gradually teasches the "nuts and bolts" of the language.

In addition, one can find his entire method for free oline in his You Tube videos. There are no "secrets" in his DVDs. The DVD's simply remove the gruntwork that the learner must do (eg: translating key words and phrases for you). I believe that much of this tedium is beneficial to the learning process.

So in short, Road Runner method: not for me, works well for some, you can save some cash if you go online and do the detective work yourself!

Edited by liddytime on 07 August 2012 at 6:20pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4758 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 69 of 72
10 August 2012 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
I actually have Moses' Chinese FLR course, is pretty good to be honest and its right to
the point. Sort of like here is your instructions, here is your material - get going!
What I learnt during the course has stuck with me so it must work and what it does is
encourages you to get out there and use what you have learnt and that's what the method
is based around really - as you see in his videos.

The only negative I can think of is that the audio for the course could be better.

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4790 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 72
12 August 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
I wonder how this could work for my own studies. I just started watching the video
series, and will report my results on my language log.

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4326 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 71 of 72
12 August 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
Sorry it has taken so long to correspond. Started a new job recently and things have been crazy busy.

I did not continue with the road-runner method. I'll try to write a full review at some point.

It is just not my style. It works well for Moses but I just can't learn languages out of context like he does. Personally, I do much better with a structured course which gradually teasches the "nuts and bolts" of the language.

In addition, one can find his entire method for free oline in his You Tube videos. There are no "secrets" in his DVDs. The DVD's simply remove the gruntwork that the learner must do (eg: translating key words and phrases for you). I believe that much of this tedium is beneficial to the learning process.

So in short, Road Runner method: not for me, works well for some, you can save some cash if you go online and do the detective work yourself!

I hope you were able to get the refund like advertised on his website?

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4821 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 72 of 72
22 August 2012 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
Sorry it has taken so long to correspond. Started a new job
recently and things have been crazy busy.

I did not continue with the road-runner method. I'll try to write a full review at
some point.

It is just not my style. It works well for Moses but I just can't learn languages out
of context like he does. Personally, I do much better with a structured course which
gradually teasches the "nuts and bolts" of the language.

In addition, one can find his entire method for free oline in his You Tube videos.
There are no "secrets" in his DVDs. The DVD's simply remove the gruntwork that the
learner must do (eg: translating key words and phrases for you). I believe that much
of this tedium is beneficial to the learning process.

So in short, Road Runner method: not for me, works well for some, you can save some
cash if you go online and do the detective work yourself!

Thanks for the update! Although I was initially very enthusiastic about these courses,
having gained a little experience, I definitely wouldn't buy them. I think following
the advice on this forum, and using the commonly recommended courses will easily get
you as far.

One thing I am interested in though: did you take advantage of the tutoring sessions
with Moses ?

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version