Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Who has the worst accent?

Tags: Accent | English
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Which region produces the worst accents?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [8.62%]
12 [20.69%]
34 [58.62%]
4 [6.90%]
3 [5.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

91 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4868 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 89 of 91
30 October 2011 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I think we are mixing up two separate things. One is the difficulty
to acquire a language because of differences in phonological systems. The assumption
here is that the more the languages are different, the harder it is to go from one to
the other. That seems pretty logical. although I'm sure there are nuances. The other
issue is the end result in terms of intelligibility or aesthetic preference of a
certain accent in the target language, let's say English. Considering that nearly all
adult learners of a language will retain traces of their native language, which accent
do we find either most pleasant or most intelligible? This has nothing to do with how
difficult it was to get to this endpoint.

When we are judging aesthetics, it is of course totally subjective. But I bring this up
because I believe that at high levels of proficiency in the target language, native
speakers can often prefer the speech of a foreigner to that of a regional variety of
the native language. In other words, a slight foreign accent combined with good grammar
and vocabulary may be more pleasing than some low-status native language variety.

Then the question doesn't make any sense. TRACES of native language cannot affect
comprehension.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5242 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 90 of 91
31 October 2011 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I think we are mixing up two separate things. One is the difficulty
to acquire a language because of differences in phonological systems. The assumption
here is that the more the languages are different, the harder it is to go from one to
the other. That seems pretty logical. although I'm sure there are nuances. The other
issue is the end result in terms of intelligibility or aesthetic preference of a
certain accent in the target language, let's say English. Considering that nearly all
adult learners of a language will retain traces of their native language, which accent
do we find either most pleasant or most intelligible? This has nothing to do with how
difficult it was to get to this endpoint.

When we are judging aesthetics, it is of course totally subjective. But I bring this up
because I believe that at high levels of proficiency in the target language, native
speakers can often prefer the speech of a foreigner to that of a regional variety of
the native language. In other words, a slight foreign accent combined with good grammar
and vocabulary may be more pleasing than some low-status native language variety.

Then the question doesn't make any sense. TRACES of native language cannot affect
comprehension.

I actually agree completely. The reason I made this distinction is simply because many of the previous posts talking about "bad" or "worst" accents were actually talking about the aesthetics and not about the difficulty of learning or the intelligibility.

As I have mentioned a few times, one can assume that a related language is easier to learn than an unrelated language. So, all other factors being equal, we can assume that it is easier for a Swedish-speaking person to learn Norwegian than for a Spanish-speaking person because Swedish and Norwegian are closely related. Does that mean that a Spanish-speaker who learns Norwegian well--probably few of them but they exist--will be less intelligible than a Swedish-speaker? Probably not at all. Will the accent of the Spanish-speaker be "worse" than that of the Swedish-speaker in Norwegian? I don't know. Of course, if you compare the Spanish immigrant who has been in Norway for two weeks to the Swedish immigrant of two weeks, the difference is enormous. But is that comparison appropriate?

When I listen to international speakers of English on the radio, I notice of course the various accents.But in terms of intelligibility, i.e. the ability to distinguish what the person is saying, I find that the most important determining factor is overall proficiency in English and not accent per se. What I have noticed is that the most proficient speakers have usually, if not always, been educated in Western universities and/or have spent some time in an English-speaking country. My observation is that accent is not really a problem or an obstacle to comprehension if a) it is not overwhelming and b) all the other elements of proficiency are present.

Let me come back briefly to the example of Michel Thomas, the great language teacher. Nobody denies that he has a rather thick Polish accent in presumably all the languages he teaches and in English. But no one has ever remarked about his English being less intelligible because of his Polish accent. It doesn't seem to be an issue at all. Former governor of California, Arnold Shwarzenegger, has this rather strong Austrian German accent in his English. Is it worse or better than that of Michel Thomas? And more importantly, what effect does it have on intelligibility? None at all it seems to me.
3 persons have voted this message useful

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6889 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 91 of 91
18 November 2011 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
That's the thing isn't it? How we judge something as the 'worst' is totally subjective.
Some of us will lean toward pronunciation, others intelligibility. Other areas we may
consider could include intonation patterns, nuclear stress or something as specific as
pitch and tone. The possibilities are endless.

There's also my pet to consider... 'familiarity through exposure'. The more familiarity
you have with a specific 'accent', the more intelligible it typically becomes, which
in-turn, leads to a more positive perception often being formed. Those that drew
attention to Vietnamese speakers early in the thread, perhaps it is through a lack of
exposure that those negative conclusions have been founded. I can almost guarantee that
to a Vietnamese English speaker, a fellow Vietnamese English speaker is one of the most
intelligible, due to the vast amounts of exposure they have received throughout their
schooling.

Loaded question all the same.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version