Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
128 messages over 16 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6270 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 121 of 128
13 December 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
That's it for the 6 Week Challenge this time.

Top target-language learners:
1. JPP4
2. HComputatralis
3. Ketutar
4. aloysius___
5. smallwhite_hk

Learners with best total time spent on languages:
1. JPP4
2. smallwhite_hk
3. Ketutar
4. HComputatralis
5. aloysius___ (with 18 minutes difference to hribecek)

Way to go!!!

Everyone else, don't be demotivated. If you work full-time, it is impossible to spend 4
hours on your target language and 3 hours on other languages every single day, as JPP4
did - that should just be your guideline for when you're on vacation ;-)
Anyone who did a lot more hours than usual should consider himself as having won this
challenge. All the more if you manage to keep up some of the new-found good habits, and
continue to squeeze out your time table for extra language-learning time. Go you!

The next challenge will be in February. Have a look at the planning going on at
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=30339 .
Thank you all for participating!
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6270 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 122 of 128
13 December 2011 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
This is when I'm really happy with the new graphs: I just saw that JPP4 studied languages
for 795 minutes (more than 13 hours) one of the days! Also, his typical session length is
30-45 minutes, like mine, so that's encouraging, and apparently he spent most of that
time on listening.

http://6wc.learnlangs.com/stats/user/JPP4

JPP4
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 4531 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: French, German, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian
Studies: Japanese, Greek

Message 123 of 128
13 December 2011 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
This is when I'm really happy with the new graphs: I just saw that JPP4 studied languages
for 795 minutes (more than 13 hours) one of the days!
http://6wc.learnlangs.com/stats/user/JPP4

I never did 13 hours in one day! That was 2 days' work: November 7, updated after midnight central European time, was added to tha time I spent on November 8. To avoid that happening again I then started recording my updates as they were done, not in a lump sum at the end of the day.
As for time, I have quite a bit at my disposal, my part time work averaging about 40 hours a month, not a week. Computer maintenance (assistance, upgrading, repairing) to help the more technologically challenged members of the local foreign, mostly retired community.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5108 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 124 of 128
13 December 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
I came second again but I did more than last time, yay!
Thanks, Sprachprofi!

JPP4
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 4531 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: French, German, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian
Studies: Japanese, Greek

Message 125 of 128
13 December 2011 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
Thanks, Sprachprofi!

In a way you're responsible for my first place overall, by your not updating properly after the first week. It was obvious that we were vying for first place overall and then you disappeared. Only to pop up from time to time, but never updating fully. (Not even on the last day.) So I was left guessing!!! And as a result worked my *ss off to try and stay in touch with the phantom runner.
Would you please not do that sort of updating again in future.

mick33
United States
Joined 5724 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 126 of 128
13 December 2011 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
That's it for the 6 Week Challenge this time.

Everyone else, don't be demotivated. If you work full-time, it is impossible to spend 4
hours on your target language and 3 hours on other languages every single day, as JPP4
did - that should just be your guideline for when you're on vacation ;-)
Anyone who did a lot more hours than usual should consider himself as having won this
challenge. All the more if you manage to keep up some of the new-found good habits, and
continue to squeeze out your time table for extra language-learning time. Go you!

The next challenge will be in February. Have a look at the planning going on at
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=30339 .
Thank you all for participating!
I finished in 13th place this time and I do not feel demotivated. I am very pleased with my progress, especially since for the August 6WC I finished in 33rd place. I think of the 6WC as simply a way to motivate myself to constantly improve my studying in a few ways; by increasing amount of hours I study, (if this is possible) and becoming more consistent and organized in my studying. I can hardly wait for the February challenge.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5108 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 127 of 128
14 December 2011 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
JPP4 wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
Thanks, Sprachprofi!

In a way you're responsible for my first place overall, by your not updating properly after the first week. It was obvious that we were vying for first place overall and then you disappeared. Only to pop up from time to time, but never updating fully. (Not even on the last day.) So I was left guessing!!! And as a result worked my *ss off to try and stay in touch with the phantom runner.
Would you please not do that sort of updating again in future.

You didn't have to guess. I work very steadily. I did about the same hours I did last time (only 2% difference).

The phantom runner was studying for an exam and was more interested in studying than in Twittering.

mcsice
United States
Joined 4573 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 128 of 128
14 December 2011 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
This was my first 6WC and I found it to be extremely motivating. My goal was to finish in the top 15. I ended up at #10 (icelinkdesign). I'm very pleased with that and can't wait until the next challenge. So thank you for doing this!

This discussion contains 128 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version