80 messages over 10 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 9 10 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 9 of 80
05 December 2011 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Ok, it's time for a little report. Last week was rather weak and of course it was entirely my fault. Especially weekend - no comments. I wonder if you also have some days, when you do completely useful things for 10 hours a day.
But, as always, I resurrect and today was muuuch better day, and i'm in spe for a strong learning week. To be honest, it's unavoidable - tests, tests, tests! Last week - Slovene, on the day after tomorrow - Persian, on Friday - French, on Monday - Bulgarian. And I guess it's not the end. Czech is next in a row.

Btw., tell me, dear Mandarin (but also Cantonese and Japanese) learners - how can you learn all of the signs? Because as for now I think I've learned only 5, 3 of them being the very first cardinals... Also, how precise are you in writing the characters? And the very last question today - do you have any interesting techniques of memorizing the way that the words are spoken?
As for now, I find Chinese language very interesting, but definitely for people who have half of their days free...

Now I'm waiting for your comments (not only about Chinese, of course ;) )
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 10 of 80
07 December 2011 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
One of the most popular ways of learning the characters for Japanese-learners is to use James Heisig's book, Remembering the Kanji. For an idea of how the technique works, you can see the first chapter here.

His method is to break down the characters into elements and making a story out of them. I've used it and it is a very effective method, allowing you to learn the writing and meaning of a few thousand characters in a matter of months. Of course, you still have learn the pronunciation, but in Mandarin there is usually only one pronunciation pr character, so that is much easier than in Japanese.

I know he has also made a similar book for Chinese (2 actually) "Remembering the Traditional Hanzi" and "Remembering the Simplified Hanzi". I've never seen them myself, so I don't know how good they are, but I'm sure you can find the books at Amazon or elsewhere. And if you search the internet, I'm sure you can find out what other people think about them.

Of course, these books probably won't teach you enough characters. I imagine they only contain a couple thousand characters, which is not nearly enough for Chinese. However, once you know how the method works, you could probably apply it on your own to other characters.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 80
07 December 2011 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
Glad to see you were not pissed off by that, pee are zee underscore.

È davvero così che non si può scrivere su lang-8 in varie lingue senza avere più
account? Non me l'aspettavo affatto. Ma d'altra parte non ci sono stato per un bel
pezzo, non mi viene in mente niente da scrivere. Nonostante che mi sono ripromesso di
andarci regolarmente a esercitarmi, ma che vuoi fare.

Volgens mij was dit het geval niet de laatste keer dat ik op lang-8 was.

Najwyrazniej cos zmienili bo przedtem dalo sie wybrac z dlugiej listy jezykow. Moze ma
cos wspolnego z nowa opcja "premium"? Hm, powiedzialbym ze tak:

Free: Limited 2 learning languages.
Premium: Unlimited

Comme toujours quelque chose qui a été gratuite ne l'est plus.
you can also edit your profile as needed, listing the languages that you're going to practise this or that week/month/day :D a bit of a hassle but imo that's easier than registering several accounts and logging out/in as needed.
*blush* and i'm not sure whether you mean "more accounts" or "plus account" by più account.....

@OP, I feel the same way as you do. We have the rest of our lives to improve what we start in our teens/twenties. Besides, if you're going to have contact with the language anyway (in my case, watching football online:)), why not start learning it?

Good luck! It might takes us longer than those focusing on just one language, but we'll be there:)))

Edited by Serpent on 07 December 2011 at 4:36pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 12 of 80
21 March 2012 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Ooh, it was a hard time recently, but now I'm definitely back. And, luckily, motivated even more than previously. It's time for the massive language attack with thousands of ping pong balls!

So - stay tune.
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 13 of 80
17 May 2012 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Ok, it's high time to drop you a line about my "progress".
Firstly, I'm happy to say that I've finally gout out of the woods (at least in the aspect of languages - my thesis is still in its infancy when actually should be at least an adolescent)

So, how does it look like if it comes to particular languages?

ENGLISH
Mainly checking the words I still don't know (it has become my little obsession; what is worse, there are plenty , reading some English websites (this forum of course too - actually, you're the greatest source of advanced vocabulary ;) ). Recently I've discovered an option to write down the words in Anki, so I've switched into this from Interlex.
Nevertheless, I still don't know what to do with other aspects of my English. I'd like to pass CAE exam on autumn 2013 in order to fearlessly go on Erasmus. My Achilles' heel(s) are written forms, so I think I'm gonna ask in my favourite bookstores about some advice in spe they won't con me. Besides, since holidays I plan to find some nice CAE tests/courses on... ekhm, I guess you know what I mean. Eventually, sometimes the hardest thing is to improve the language you currently know relatively well.
P.S. Oh, I've forgotten to mention that I have enormous problems with English punctuation. But I guess you've already realised it.

LATIN
Well, it's quite funny story (I hope I'm gona think the same after 6 weeks), because I've already had Latin classes on my studies. However, I was exempt from passing this because of having Latin in my high school. Now, on my other studies I also have Latin. The problem is that they require passing the exam, what wasn't obligatory on my first studies. So now I have to revise all of the things I've learned a couple of years ago. Haven't started yet, but I hope that one month is enough.
Absolutely strange feeling.

BULGARIAN
Despite taking part in Super Challenge I have a feeling of neglecting it, especially that it's my primary language on my first faculty. But at least I can say that I've already passed the magical B-level border.
P.S. Old Bulgarian and Middle Bulgarian are horrible!

CZECH, SLOVENE
Listening regularly to SLO1 and Radiožurnál... And it's probably the only one thing that I do regularly - at least if it comes to learning these two languages. Luckily I have decent materials from my teachers, dictionaries + nice Czech m-books and some audiobooks. If i only had the same amount of stuff in Slovene...

RUSSIAN
Can I complain a bit? Well, it's my log, so no one can forbid. My Russian classes are TERRIBLE. Terrible and squared. I haven't got anything out of it. So, I have to paddle my own canoe. Except several, nice language books, the enormous help will make up taking part in Super Challenge. Plus memrise. I want to learn Russian as soon as possible in order to come back to my beloved Ukrainian. Living for almost 20 years about 8 kilometres from the border and not knowing the language of my neighbours - for me using the word 'shame' here would be an euphemism.
P.S. If you know some good Russian radios, having a good balance between news and entertainment - please let me know.

PERSIAN
Oh gosh. Generally I often have some backlogs, but here they are incredible. If I don't want to walk the plank, it's high time to begin the intensive learning.

CHINESE
Ooooooooooooooooh! Myyyyyyyyyy! Goooood! Did I say something about the incredible backlogs? So what about my Chinese classes? I'm on the edge of aborting my Chinese adventure for some time.
Well, the current problem I'm struggling with lack of good method, appropriate for myself. Memrise is good, but only when I've seen/learned the characters before. So, probably first of all I'll be learning the characters by preparing manual flashcards

ITALIAN, FRENCH, MACEDONIAN, DUTCH
All of them have been postponed till the holidays. Only from time to time I listen to the Macedonian radio. "Големите скитачи" are still waiting for better times...

Anyway, hard times are comming (Ugh, again?!) - the examination session begins on 15th June and I'm desperately looking for a cure for my dying thesis...

THE PAROCHIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. If you have any idea, advice, information or even critical opinion - don't hesitate to share it with me
2. If you see shameful mistakes in my posts - also don't hesitate to inform me
3. And finally - if someone who's native or at least decent speaker of any language I'm currently learning, I would be extremely grateful, if you'd like to converse with me from time to time. And the other way round - if you learn Polish, I'd be pleased with helping you.

Okay, don't want to overrun ad infinitum, so, as for now, thank you very much for your attention ;) 'Write ya!' :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4642 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 14 of 80
25 May 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
What are you studying that you're taking so many language classes? I thought it was Slavic philology, but how does Persian fit in (and Italian, and French, and Dutch...)?
If you need help with your Latin, just tell me.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 15 of 80
25 May 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Both, Slavic and Persian. The real hell of work, but I hope somehow ;) Italian and French - just one year of classes (but I plan to revise the material during the holidays) and Dutch - well, I have a friend from the Netherlands + it would be nice to leave there someday in future...

Ok, so, some plans for the following weeks:
- prepare to my exams - there are several of them - unfortunately not only languages ;)
- to watch some films for Super Challenge and, finally, to read at least one book. I've taken off with "Loneliness on the net" (Polish book, but relatively known in Russia), but it seems that I've overrated my "Slavic skills" it's not as easy as I've thought.
- come back to writing on lang-8
- get a good sleep after 5 short nights...

P.S. Thank you very much, If I have some problems, I'll definitely ask you.

Edited by prz_ on 25 May 2012 at 1:09am

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 16 of 80
03 June 2012 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Ok, I can officially anounce that learning Swedish has been begun!
The very first impression: yeah, this pronunciation is tricky. But If there are so many people who learn this language, it can't be impassable, isn't it?
And the second impression: gosh, why do they speak so fast in these dialogues?!
If someone's interested in what do I use for learning Swedish - it's a Polish version of Teach Yourself Swedish + Svenska utifran.
Ok, I've been a good boy today, so for a good night I can listen to Lena Philippson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFbo76bF-Ns&feature=related

P.S. If anyone of you can add the "Eurovision" tag, I'd be delighted. Nothing brings as much attention as some quirky tags.

Edited by prz_ on 03 June 2012 at 1:13am

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version