Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4642 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 25 of 80
04 June 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Uh, good question. I guess I was on a pretty decent B2 after my Swedish courses at university, but now it's probably more of a B1. I haven't been practising the language for some time now.
How long have I been studying? Well, I did some self study for about a year, and then I had two semesters of Swedish at uni. Not very much, but Swedish is rather easy for Germans. But as I said, those courses were six years ago - damn, is it really six years already? I guess I'm getting old...

Edited by Josquin on 04 June 2012 at 1:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 26 of 80
04 June 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
I guess me too. Anyway, thanks for the answer.

Now - Dilemma.
Which lecturer for Latin test to choose? The one who requires more or the other one who requires... yes, you're right - less. Ambitions + the real sense of learning vs. pragmatism. I'll add that I've already quite many exams...
Thank God I have yet one week to decide.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 27 of 80
08 June 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Some fresh news ('fresh news', what a gobbledegook):
- my Persian exam overwhelms me. I don't know why this language is so difficult for me. I won't give up on my studies, but I'm not used to struggle with my language exams...
- Swedish - slowly, slowly... but I can already say some sentences, such as 'Jag kommer från Polen'. Better than nothing.
- Currently I have no time for studying German actively, but to take off and taking at least one advantage of spending too much time on computer, I've decided to put some vocabulary to Anki. 10 minutes daily won't kill me and can bring some nice results before my REAL relearning of German
- the rest of the languages not mentioned above are going quite well :)

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 28 of 80
15 June 2012 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Flash news:
Slovene - passed (72/80, so not bad :) )
Latin - passed (maybe not that amazing + my adventures with Latin is a long story, nevertheless - everything's fine :)
Swedish - learned. Maybe a bit slower due to exams, but learned, day by day, step by step

Upcoming tests:
Bulgarian
Bulgarian Historical Grammar (yuck!)
Persian grammar
...and some others, who are unrelated ;)

As for now, everything's fine. Except my Persian...

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4864 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 29 of 80
16 June 2012 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
ohhhh I'm curious, what does the Bulgarian Historical Grammar class entail? Is taking a historical grammar class
required for the study of philology in your university?

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 30 of 80
16 June 2012 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
Yes, it is. Do you think that in other case I would lost my time for such things? :D
Well, of course it's useful in understanding the language. But it's an an uphill battle.
In fact, for most of the time it's revamped OCS - imagine describing all of the changes in Latin during several centuries :(

Edited by prz_ on 16 June 2012 at 8:39am

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 31 of 80
23 June 2012 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
It's time for some news:
- I've passed my Slovene and Bulgarian tests and my grades were really good. For Bulgarian one I haven't even learned anything :D
- unfortunately, can't be that merrily so it's time for a fly in the ointment - I haven't passed my Persian exam... September, hello!
- and today I've had an occasion to speak Bulgarian with someone else than my teacher
- Колегата ми дойде в Полша на няколко години и тогава имах възможност да говоря български. И чух от него, че говоря по-добре от колкото пиша - нещо тотално обратно от думите на лекторките ми :D
- I mina Sverige - ganska bra. I wonder if it's not the first language in (my) history when I haven't skipped learning for more than 3 weeks! 7 lessons of Svenska utifran and 1 of Polish version of Teach Yourself Swedish is not much, but still IS!

Edited by prz_ on 23 June 2012 at 5:10pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 32 of 80
06 July 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Vacation has come and I've come back to my "borntown". Thank God I'll be there only a little bit more than 2,5 months because a feeling of my mother's controlling eye doesn't help in feeling free, especially that my BA dissertation is still not ready and she already KNOWS about it.

Nevertheless, neither BA, nor my mater, can stop me from my language plans. Since, very recently, I've found a book called "The power of ticking" (well, something like that, don't remember the exact name), I've found a motivation to write my plan and, later, of course, this plan is to be "ticked" ;)

So, what are my plans for languages this summer?
Minimal plan:
- Persian - I have to revise the whole material (especially the second semester) to make this test finally passed...
- Bulgarian - for 2 weeks I'll work with children - an ungrateful job - but the idea has come to my mind to teach children a bit of Bulgarian. I wonder if this will succeed... So, I have to prepare myself for that ;)
+ challenge - 'Столичани в повече' are waiting for me!
- Macedonian - revise some grammar + it's time to finally SERIOUSLY take off with my Macedonian book 'Големите скитачи'. Reading the whole would be hard, but let's say that 1/2 of it it's my minimal plan
- Czech - I have a crazy hitchhiking plan that, I hope, will succeed, so I'll definitely revise some of my Czech. I have a nice book which author is my Czech teacher, which will make my Let's say that 5-6 lessons will stick perfectly .
Of course I'll continue my super challenge participation, but I'm not sure, If I'll be able to read more than 1 book this summer. I become a little afraid of the reading part of this challenge...)
- Italian - luckily my average Italian course had one advantage - great notes in my notebook. I think I've never had such great notes anywhere, so there's nothing left but just sit and learn ;) + some flashcards and voilà
+ I'd like to take advantage of being here, on the province ;) , and make use of satellite TV. Rai Uno, here I come! Minimum is to watch news twice/three times a week
- Slovene - definitely important language this summer for reasons that can be clearer after reading the whole post - if you're smart enough. The plan is to revise my notes and do several lessons of "Gremo naprej". Can't say exactly how many, because I've just took a glance of it
- German - for 2-3 years I had a little aversion to German - you know, bad school memories, especially considering the fact, that my German teacher was at the same time my class master. But now, after 3 years gone, I'm ready for comeback. The plan is to revise essential grammar (especially declension!!! I'm extremely weak at this) + some vocabulary (luckily I haven't thrown my old notebooks + I have a nice book, prepared for... junior high school pupils :] 5 chapters will stick perfectly for this period)
- Russian - another language from (my) super challenge. Plans? To watch as much films as i can (my general goal was one movie per day, so let it be 2 Russian films for more than a week) + to read 3 books + to revise/do the whole самоучитель, entirely if it's possible, since it's relatively easy
- Swedish - since Loreen's victory it was the only one language that I've been learning everyday. Literally: E V E R Y D A Y. So the expectations are high. My minimal, absolutely minimal goal is to do 30 lessons of 'Svenska utifrån' (currently I'm at number 10 and 6 of 'Ucz się sam - szwedzki dla początkujących' (Polish version of Teach Yourself Swedish). Unfortunately, if it comes to the second one, I can't do more than 6 lessons, since... my copy doesn't have more.
I haven't forgotten that Swedish is my newborn supper challenge language, so probably today I'll watch a Swedish film for the first time in ages.

Maximal plan:
- everything above +
- French - I don't know why, but I feel awful with my absolutely minimal knowledge of French, so it's one of this languages, coming back to me like a boomerang (only behind Croatian)
- Dutch - Dutch has hard time since has been recently replaced from the first place of my most wanted Germanic languages. Nevertheless, if I'll see that I can cope with time (hue, hue, hue...) I'd like to do the whole 'Hugo - Dutch in 3 months' textbook. I've already done several lessons in the past, so it can't be that difficult
English - the serious kick off will start on November due to my plans to finally pass CAE Exam ---> to have a chance to go to Erasmus (okay, in theory I can get confirmation of my English classes, but CAE looks much better). But currently, while trying to the leftowers of reality in my plans, I can't really find a time for English in my schedule. But if - 1. Solve several examination sheets 2. Finally finish Burnett's 'The Secret Garden'
- Several languages - to write some posts on lang-8

Since you're not my mother, I allow you to control my achievements (or 'achievements' - but I hope that the apostrophes won't be necessary) and criticise ;) . I'm really in spe of much better results than during the last summer...

And last but not least, some breaking news - yesterday I've bought tickets to and fro the Budapest, so, if all things will go well, except the unforgettable journey, it will be occasion to learn some basics of another languages ;)
Details - probably already after the trip (since I won't have my laptop there)

Edited by prz_ on 06 July 2012 at 4:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version