Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 105 of 331
25 December 2012 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
I'll be spending Christmas on Oahu this year, and am just about to head
out and treat the misses and I to some ono spicy ahi poke and shave ice, then check out
the gingerbread house in town to get into the festive spirit. I'm missing the snow and
hot Glühwein of course, but have substituted a tinstle-bedecked pineapple for the
traditional baubled Weihnachtsbaum. ;) Mele kalikimaka and safe journey!

Brah, your grinds are gonna be so much mo' ono than mine this Christmas! Though the
proper way to do it, island style, is to take the missus surfing tomorrow morning. Mele
Kalikimaka!

And one more for the road: I stayed up to finish
8 femmes tonight. It's a musical
murder mystery set in a country house on Christmas Eve. It's campy and candy colored,
like a French John Waters. And if that's not enough: with Danielle Darrieux, Catherine
Deneuve, Isabelle Huppert, and Fanny Ardant.

I've seen it before, and I'll see it again ... this is becoming one of my favorite
"Christmas movies."

Edited by kanewai on 25 December 2012 at 10:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5346 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 106 of 331
31 December 2012 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
"Kanewai and the Romantics" - did anyone ever tell you this would make an excellent name for an 80s group, brah? I'm feeling a wave of nostalia already. :)

Edited by Teango on 31 December 2012 at 11:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 107 of 331
01 January 2013 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
I just made a deal with a guy at a NYE party - I'll teach him to surf, he'll help me with
French conversation. 2013 will show if this is a real thing, or if it was just the
champagne talking.

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5502 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 108 of 331
03 January 2013 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
Interesting blog. =) Hope the new year has delightful surprises in store for your Spanish (and your others, as well). Good luck to you and the rest of team Pax!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 109 of 331
05 January 2013 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
French

I finally started Les Misérables, Book 3: Marius, and was almost immediately
frustrated by more of Hugo's tangents. There was one on gamin (which the English
translates as "Street Arab," which makes me cringe each time), and one on royalist
salons in the age of Napoleon, and it was like being cornered by a long-winded
professor and I just wanted to scream, shut up with the tangents and get back to the
story!

Seriously, the first 15% of the book was all tangents, or about 45 pages. But now we're
back to the story, and I've (almost) forgiven Hugo. I thought I might be impatient
with the novel after seeing the musical (which was fantastic!), but there is so much
more in the book that this hasn't been the case at all.

In the musical, Marius is a student revolutionary, but there's nothing really special
about his story. Well, in the book we learn about his royalist grandfather's hatred of
Napoleon, his mother's affair with a soldier, his youth in the grandfather's salon, and
his eventual discovery of his father's true identity. All in about 50 pages - the plot
flies along fast when Hugo finally gets to it! And none of this, at all, makes the cut
for the movie or musical!

I also find that my reading comprehension has leveled up a notch. I still have a long
way to go, but it's nice to feel some progress.

I also started Harry Potter et la coupe de feu. I'll alternate, a couple
chapters in Paris, a couple chapters at Hogwarts.

Ancient Greek

Greek was supposed to be an 'extra' language for me. I didn't have time to commit, but
I thought I'd casually make my way through Assimil as part of the A. Challenge.

That plan failed. The language is far too complicated to learn in an easy 30 minutes a
day. I took time out to spend two long days reviewing past chapters, I made some
declension charts to study, and then I finally picked up an old 1950's Teach Yourself
book and did a couple chapters.

I thought the contrast between the old-fashioned and modern methods was fascinating:

1950's TY: Thoroughly master grammatical explanations. Never be slack about
looking things up. Use the cross references. If any piece of Greek seizes your fancy,
learn it by heart. Work slowly, never passing on to new work until you have mastered
the old. This will be hard. You will love it.

Modern Online Advice: Greek is hard. Only five percent of auto-didacts succeed.
Ergo: you will probably fail. Don't try to teach yourself. Take a class.

2010's Assimil: Don't learn anything by heart. Use the literal translation to
help you. Listen closely to the recordings. Each lesson should take thirty minutes a
day. Don't rush.

I like Assimil, but I had to go back and do some good old-fashioned un-Assimil-like
memorizing of texts ... I needed a more solid base in order to go on. I was too lost.
Maybe we're too quick to dismiss some of the older methods. Although I also feel that
my work so far with Assimil has made it easier to use the older books.

Now, check out the dialogues!

Teach Yourself Greek (1952), Chapter V

Daphne began the work at once, but what should she see but a bull with the face of a
misanthropic general! The image of the animal frightened the good girl so much that she
couldn't utter a word, but held up her hymnal mid-air, which the animal swallowed
thinking it was a gift of food.

or this:

Hector ... used to ride a cycle round the cenotaph, studying arithmetic and biology
aloud and declaring that he was a mystical methodist. Then he tried cosmetics and
strategy, contracted ophtalmia and chronic hydrophobia and turned a diabolical
heliotrope color.

Chapter 6 jumps right into using quotes from Aristotle, Plato, and St. John.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5124 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 110 of 331
05 January 2013 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Your posts have the strange quality of giving me the oddest cravings, and right now you are making me lust
after Ancient Greek. When I have not even mastered the alphabet of Modern Greek. I do not know how you
do it.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 111 of 331
11 January 2013 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Your posts have the strange quality of giving me the oddest
cravings, and right now you are making me lust
after Ancient Greek. When I have not even mastered the alphabet of Modern Greek. I do
not know how you do it.
How I do it??? I'm in awe of how much commitment
folks like you have.

Ancient Greek

As per Ancient Greek, Solfrid, my advice is: Don't do it! Erase that thought out of
your mind this very instant! Or else be prepared for it to become your main focus ...
it is a greedy little language that will push all your other languages aside and demand
all of your mental energy.

I added it as a side project, something fun I could do for the Assimil Experiment that
wouldn't take too much time away from my focus languages. Ha ha ha. The learning curve
at the beginning is very steep, and instead of being a side project it is becoming my
unintended focus. I'm hoping I can reach a plateau soon.

Even though I feel a bit overwhelmed, this still feels doable. Working with grammar
books alongside Assimil has helped a lot. And I need to remind myself that my goal is
not to be able to read Greek fluently. My goal now is to be able to read the Iliad and Odyssey, and the Athenian dramas, in parallel text. That alone would be amazing.

French

Les Misérables, T3: Marius - OMG Hugo is such a wind bag sometimes. I want to
reach back through the centuries, shake him, and demand that he get on with the story!
'Cause it's a great story. I've reached the section on "The Friends of the ABC" - the
group of students that meet in the back of a coffee shop and talk themselves into
staging a revolution. This was by far my favorite section when I read the book in High
School. I really wanted to be in Paris fighting and drinking and arguing philosophy all
night, not stuck in my little midwestern farm town.

Harry Potter et la coupe de feu - I'm using the dictionary less and less for HP!

FSI - Up to Lesson 19.4. The focus is on the subjunctive. I skim the lesson,
attempt it on tape, skim it again, and do the tape again. It takes a week to finish
each section, but it's been valuable.   

Spanish

I was planning on doing Spanish for the upcoming 6W Challenge, but I don't have time to
do intensive Spanish and still struggle with Greek.

I want to do something to keep my Spanish alive, and it has to be something easy, at
least for the immediate future. I can't quite read literature yet, even with the
Kindle dictionary, and Assimil's active wave requires more time and energy than I have.
So I just ordered two parallel text books: Alicia en el País de las Maravillas
and Aura, a novella by Carlos Fuentes. I'm hoping that these will be fun, and
enough to keep my Spanish from completely rusting away.

3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4999 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 112 of 331
12 January 2013 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

Les Misérables, T3: Marius - OMG Hugo is such a wind bag sometimes. I want to
reach back through the centuries, shake him, and demand that he get on with the story!
'Cause it's a great story. I've reached the section on "The Friends of the ABC" - the
group of students that meet in the back of a coffee shop and talk themselves into
staging a revolution. This was by far my favorite section when I read the book in High
School. I really wanted to be in Paris fighting and drinking and arguing philosophy all
night, not stuck in my little midwestern farm town.

Your writing's so vivid; I'm enjoying your log, as ever.

This discussion contains 331 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version