United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 193 of 331
13 November 2013 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
I tried with Amelie, I just couldn't get into it. I actually liked it both times in the
beginning, but could never finish it.

As for Jacques Audiard's movies ... I don't like the way he fetishizes violence, and have
passionately hated everything he's done - and only realized afterwards that they were all
his.   

Edited by kanewai on 13 November 2013 at 3:31am

1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 194 of 331
14 November 2013 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
The Problem with Pimsleur
Japanese

I like Pimsleur, but sometimes it just makes me want to scream.

Here's Japanese II, Lesson 2:

This is Bill. Billu san des. Got it.
Nice to meet you. Hajimemashite. I remember this.
Unfortunately I have to go. ainikushitsureishinakerabanaranaendes. WTF?????

What kills me is that last phrase contains grammar points that are not explained at
all. I recognize "nae n des" from skimming ahead in another book, and can guess that
"shinakeraba" must be some new tense of "to do," though it isn't covered in any
of my beginning textbooks.

Grr.

Anyways, I've hit Book 2 of Living Language, and have re-started Pimsleur
II
from the beginning - I don't think I retained much from my first pass.

Français - I liked Stendhal in the beginning, but I
quickly lost interest. I read that he wrote Le chartreuse de Parme in six or
seven weeks ... and it shows.   After a great first couple chapters set during the
Battle of Waterloo the book began jumping all over the place. I'm not going to finish
it.

I'm currently 3/4 of the way through Pêcheur d'Islande, by Pierre Loti (1886).
It's a sad, romantic story set in the fishing villages of Brittany - of men who spend
the season fishing off the coast of Iceland & haven't seen France in the summer since
they were children, and the women who stay behind, never knowing who will return and
who will be lost at sea. I like Loti's writing style a lot - the novel feels like an
impressionist painting in words.

I took a look at an English edition in the library, and the translation was awful. The
fishermen all spoke like pirates in a budget movie ... they actually say "ahoy, matey"
to each other. This is a great example of a book that needs to be read in French (or
that needs a modern translation!). It's also short, which is nice.

ελληνικά - No action.

Español - I started watching Águila Roja again. I
might be able to finish the film part of my half-super challenge. The reading part
will only be possible of I finish all of my French by this month, which is unlikely.

Türkçe - I've started organizing my materials. My base
will by Pimsleur I, the FSI course, and my old Teach Yourself (I don't think
it's been updated since I bought it). I was tempted by Assimil's Le Turc, but
it's $110, and I don't trust Assimil with non-Romance or non-Germanic languages, so I'm
going to pass on that one.

I'm surprised that there's no Michel Thomas or Living Language Turkish course! Though I
think I already have plenty to work with. And I'm looking forward to working with
Turkish again; it's been awhile, and I enjoyed the language the last round.

Italiano - I will definitely order Assimil's Italian
with Ease
, though! I felt like I learned Italian quickly the last round, so I
think Assimil + a Michel Thomas review might be enough.   

Edited by kanewai on 14 November 2013 at 10:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 195 of 331
17 November 2013 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
L'écume des jours

I leave for Tokyo in seven days, and I meant to make this a Japanese weekend. Instead,
it's been totally Frenchie. It's as if trying to focus on a new language has the side
effect of invigorating the others. I even read some Greek this morning, for this first
time in six weeks.

But it's really been all about the French. I finished Pêcheur d'Islande, and
would easily recommend this to other language learners. Pierre Loti was a naval
officer, and set his novels in exotic locations. He doesn't seem to popular now, and I
would have never heard of him if a friend hadn't taken me to watch the sunset from the
Pierre Loti Café in İstanbul. Since then, I've always been curious about him ... not
everyone gets a hill and café named after them!

Next up: L'écume des jours (Boris Vian, 1946), a romance set in the age of jazz
and science-fiction. I want to read more modern fiction, although it means reading it
the old-fashioned way: a physical book, rather than a kindle.   I thought this would be
easy with L'écume, but things got a little surreal in the third chapter. As far as I
can tell, an attendant at the skating rink had the head of a pigeon, and one of the
skaters laid an egg while doing a spin. And I'm pretty sure this wasn't a metaphor.

I've heard great things about this book, but the surrealism is going to be a challenge
- I won't be able to understand new words from context if the context isn't based on
anything in the real world. I'm looking up everything in the dictionary.

It's a fun book, though. The characters are all obsessed with American jazz, and so
I've started playing the music they discuss while I'm reading the chapter.
Right now my "soundtrack" to L'écume is Duke Ellington's
Chloe (Song of the Swamp)

I also learned it's a movie
directed by Michael Gondry (Eternal Sunshine!), and starring Audrey Tatou and Romain
Duris. I really, really, hope it's good - I loved both of them in their early movies,
but haven't liked much of their work at all lately.

And finally ... I found a site that streams
Les revenants. Two episodes in,
and I'm hooked. Also, there have been a few moments that I forgot that I was watching
it in French. I was following it without thinking, and only snapped out of it when one
of the teenage girls started talking & I couldn't understand her slang.

I'll get back to my Japanese tomorrow. Maybe.

Edited by kanewai on 17 November 2013 at 9:21am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 196 of 331
23 November 2013 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Tokyo Countdown

Seven hours until I hop on the bus to the airport, and (as usual before a trip) I'm too
wired to sleep.

I've put a fair amount of time into studying Japanese, but still feel like I'm only
half way to beginner level. I tried to run through some imaginary conversations in my
mind, and realized how many basic, little things I still didn't know. I'll be able to
order food, and navigate on the trains, but my skills won't go much beyond that.

I don't quite know why this is. Japanese isn't hard, really. I understand the
grammatical concepts so far. It's just really different. But Turkish was also
different, and had more complex concepts for me to grasp, yet it took less time.

We'll see how I do soon! My travelling partner speaks Japanese, so it's not critical
that I speak. It will be weird being the one needed help though - usually I'm the one
who does the translating.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 197 of 331
07 December 2013 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
The Problem with Pimsleur

Japan Trip Report

I did moderately well with Japanese. It took my a few days to get the accent right, but
after that could handle simple sentences (Where am I? Where am I going? and
I want to eat that.
All the important things in life). This helped immensely - I
seem to end up a lot in areas where no one spoke English. I wasn't even close to being
able to carry on even a simple conversation, but I could cover basic needs.

In retrospect, I would have done better to focus more heavily on the Living Language
course, and not so much on the last couple Michel Thomas courses. I like them, but I
wasn't ready to use complicated grammar in real life.

My traveling partner used to speak Japanese for work, and it was interesting: his
vocabulary was huge, but his grammar was atrocious. I was trying to use the correct
case endings, and he declared that I was making things too hard, and that he would just
mumble them.

People were friendly, though, and very quick to switch from English to Japanese when
they thought I understood. I also noticed that people spoke in a much more "sing song"
voice than I hear on the tapes. I remember the French did this too. My traveling
partner tended to speak in a gruff style, like someone from the old samurai movies. I
felt that I was getting a much nicer reception with my limited, but polite, Japanese
than he was with his rougher style.

There were some bumps. Once I thought I had asked for "two more glasses (of beer)"
(mo nihai o kudasai) , the waitress smiled and bowed, and I thought: I'm doing
pretty well! I was all proud of myself, until she brought out a single whiskey
cocktail. I'm still not sure where I went wrong with that one.

Français

One of the things I love about long plane rides is that I can bury myself in a good
book for hours on end. I've caught up with my Super Challenge, and have less than 100
pages to go. I'll actually finish!

L'écume des jours was really good. The surrealism, I think, helped the author
deal with some difficult issues. I also restarted and finished Le Père Goriot.
Last year I quit half way through. I thought it was too dry and too simple, and I took
the other Balzac books off my reading list. But what a difference a year makes - this
round wasn't as difficult, and the story seemed so much more exciting and dramatic.   
Balzac is now back on my list. I want to see what happens next, especially with the
cynical criminal mastermind Vautrin.

I'm currently reading Voyage au but de la nuit (Louis-Ferdinand Céline, 1932).
This, so far, might be one of the most intense and angry anti-war books I've ever read.
It's also wonderfully obscene - I don't even recognize half the words he uses to
describe his officers, but I know that I probably shouldn't use them in polite company.
The story is fast paced: a 20-year old youth is drafted, and decides he'd rather live
free than die in the mud. In the first 100 pages he's gone from the killing fields at
Flanders to a Paris hospital to a mental hospital to an experimental neurology clinic.

I also started on Lesson XXII of FSI. I'll do another lesson in Feb, and the
last one in April. It's helped to space them out like this, even though it's been a 2-
year process.     

ελληνικά - No action.

Español

I'm still watching episodes ofÁguila Roja, and just learned that season 2 is out
for Isabel. This will be enough, I think, to keep the language alive until I
can get back to properly focusing on it. I thought I might finish the film part of the
half challenge, but I'd have to watch four movies a week. It won't happen.

Türkçe   

I made copies of all my materials for the five of us going to İstanbul. They say they
want a study group, and we have a couple friends who are fluent ... we'll see who
actually sticks with it. I started Pimsleur, and it's been pleasant to revisit
Turkish again! I can't recall much on my own, but as soon as I hear a word it comes
back to me.

I feel like I'm re-visiting an old friend. I liked Turkish a lot, and loved Turkey
itself. The two are probably combined. It's nice to be able to dive right back in,
rather than having to struggle with the new concepts like vowel harmony and
agglutination.

I've posted two or three times that I didn't like Assimil for non-European
languages, and that I didn't like the Turkish speakers on Assimil. Then I found a copy
of Le Turc for $40 on Amazon. And ordered it. I find that I am constantly
changing my mind with language learning.

Italiano - I hope to start sometime mid January.
_______________________________________________________  ;  

My plan for the next four months is to work in shifts. At any one time I'll have FSI
for one language, an audio course for the second language, and Assimil for the
third language. Each three weeks or so I'll rotate.   I'm hoping this way will help me
balance three languages at once without burning out or becoming too compulsive.

I'd prefer to work on one language at once, but I study some languages just for travel,
and the economics of living so far away from everything means that me travel is always
clustered in the low season: October / November and March / April.   And that means
that my studying tends to cluster too.

The good news is that I now have somewhat of a base in most of my life-time target
languages! Any studying from here on out will be building on those bases, which will
be pleasant. My current lifetime goals:

Fluency
French
Spanish
Chuukese - Micronesian (though it's mostly faded, and I have no plans to re-up it)

"Travel Languages" - these will come and go depending on my wanders
Arabic
Turkish
Indonesian
Italian
Japanese

Little to no experience, but maybe one day: Greek, Thai, Portuguese, Hindi, Farsi (if
the US and Iran ever find peace) ... who knows, it's a big world

Reading Only
Ancient Greek
Latin

One day: German
Perhaps one day: Old English, Russian

That is a ridiculously long list, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has one
like it.

Edited by kanewai on 07 December 2013 at 9:56am

3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5322 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 198 of 331
07 December 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
One of the things I love about long plane rides is that I can bury myself in a good
book for hours on end. I've caught up with my Super Challenge, and have less than 100
pages to go. I'll actually finish!

I saw that! Congratulations on your progress. The thing that amazed me towards the end was how much reading I could get done if I really set aside some hours and focused.

A language learner is somebody who never needs to fear a plane flight or 10 minutes in line, and who has an excuse to watch all the TV and read all the comic books they'd like. :-)

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4999 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 199 of 331
07 December 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the film list, and the posts on L'écume des jours, Kanewai. I visited Librairie l'écume des
jours in Montreal, and later wondered about the origin of its name.

Your "shift work" plan sounds interesting. - Looking forward to following your continued progress in 2014!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 200 of 331
10 December 2013 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention
Kinokuniya
in Tokyo - a wonderful seven-story bookstore, and the top floor is all
foreign-language books, most at a better price than I can find online. We can add this
to the list of the world's great bookstores.   

EMK wrote:
A language learner is somebody who never needs to fear a plane flight or 10
minutes in line, and who has an excuse to watch all the TV and read all the comic books
they'd like. :-)
And it's an excuse to take long, slow walks. I'm much more
likely to walk the 20" to the grocery store than bike or drive when I have a tape or
podcast I'm working through. I've tried doing language drills on the treadmill, but
that was too mental.

songlines wrote:
Your "shift work" plan sounds interesting. - Looking forward to
following your continued progress in 2014!
I've come up with brilliant plans
before that never quite worked in the real world ... we'll see!

FSI, as usual, became challenging by the third tape in the lesson. I can usually
manage the first couple sections of each chapter using audio only, and then it gets
hard. Here's a sample exercise:

Instructeur: Il y a longtemps qu'on ne s'occupe plus de ça.
Etudiant: On ne s'occupe plus de ça depuis longtemps.

Instructeur: Nous avons repris les relations diplomatiques avec ce pays-là il y a deux
ans.
Etudiant: Nous avons des relations diplomatiques avec ce pays-là depuis deux ans.

I can read these with close to 100% comprehension, but when I try to do them using only
audio my accuracy plummets completely.   So I'm slowing down. I go through the section
reading only. Then I try doing them as written exercises - and I find that I make a
lot
of little mistakes that are easy to gloss over when speaking. The third or
fourth round I'll listen to the tapes again.   

This is probably good - I need to slow down and focus on the details. And as much as I
love using native materials, my experiences with my travel partner in Japan (huge
vocabulary, bad grammar) convinced me that we, as language learners, really do need to
go back and actively study from time to time.

This discussion contains 331 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version