United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5345 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 329 of 331
13 June 2015 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on the 6WC, brah! With Honolulu 12 hours behind the clock, I noticed we were amongst the last two standing (or should I say tweeting).

I'm impressed you can make head and tail of the dialogue in Kaamelot. I tried out an episode last night during a quick break, just for a bit of fun, but man was that hard; I felt like the language equivalent of a 100 pound weakling trying to bench press 500 pounds on his first day down the gym! Maybe I should follow in emk's early footsteps and start with something more my level like "Ulysse 31" (I wen love da kine, small kid time!) ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 330 of 331
15 June 2015 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
I need the script for Kaamelott, otherwise I'm completely lost.

Congrats on finishing ahead of the pack! 188 hours of Hawaiian is seriously epic. What
materials have you found? I looked at the State library for books a few months ago, but
didn't really like what I saw - nothing looked good for a self-learner, and I don't have
time to join a study group.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 331 of 331
20 June 2015 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
50 Days

I've been tracking my minutes on an excel spreadsheet for the past 50+ days. I started it to make the 6WC challenge easier, but I love being able to graph the results like this, so I'm going to aim to track things for a full 100-days.

(wish list for any new HTLAL site: an easier way to post graphs like this! Making them is fun. Formatting them for posting sucks).

First up: cumulative hours for French, Italian, and German. This one is heartening: I'm close to fifty hours for fifty days for Italian, and it's been a nice steady progression. I have fifty days until I leave for Naples; I hope I can keep this pace up!

German has been a trip. Having spent so much time on Romance languages, the basics of German actually seems intuitive. Anything in English that isn't from Norman French must be from Saxon German, right?

Though I'm using Michel Thomas, and he holds your hand so much that everything seems easier than it is.

Here I track the average minutes/day spent studying, using three-day averages. I thought I might see some patterns here, but I can't find any. The peaks and valleys seem random.

Cumulative minutes spent with four French activities. Pimsleur is in the easy lead; this and podcasts are the easiest thing to work into my day. I'm on lesson 20 out of 30 for Phase V, so this should level off soon. And I thought I was reading far more than I actually was.

And cumulative minutes with Italian. I've finished Living Language, and only have 20 more active lessons of Assimil to go, so those lines will level off soon. I'm glad to see that my time with podcasts and my time reading is similar.

I've made a huge breakthrough with Italian reading this past week: I've been reading a hard copy of La solitudine dei numeri primi without using a dictionary. I used one a lot the first fifty pages, and then found I could actually understand the book without one. It's been interesting: if you asked me to translate any particular sentence I would stumble and fail, but at the end of the chapter I have a very clear understanding of what happened. I know the horrible things the mean girls did to Alice in the locker room, and I know the dark secret that leads Mattia to cut himself.

I've started to re-do Pimsleur IV, so that line should rise quickly.

Edited by kanewai on 20 June 2015 at 1:38am

This discussion contains 331 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version