justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 65 of 331
21 March 2012 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Free Advice for Future Romantics!

If I were starting from scratch on a new Romance language this is how I would do it, based on what has worked for me this year:

Stage 1
overlap as needed:

1. Teach Yourself (just the first five to seven lessons). Estimated time: 10-20 hrs.
2. Michel Thomas Foundation. Estimated time: 15 hrs.
3. Pimsleur I and II. Estimated time: 30 hrs.
4. FSI Basic, Volume I. Estimated time: 75 hrs.
5. Assimil. Estimated time: 100 hrs.

I think this brings you to a solid A2 level, though a lot of people on HTLAL would say B1.   

Stage 2

1. Michel Thomas Advanced (a.k.a. Perfect): 20 hrs
2. Pimsleur III. Estimated time: 15 hrs.
3. FSI Basic, Volume II. 75 hrs.
4. Assimil Perfectionnement. 40 hrs.
5. Immersion if possible.

This is where I'm at now, aiming for B2. I'll let you know if it works, or where it went wrong if it doesn't!

Stage 3: C Level

I have no idea.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4672 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 66 of 331
21 March 2012 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

I have no idea.

One key thing that I've found (not that I'm actually at a C level yet, though close in passive skills) is to more or less move completely out of the learning materials, and into the "using materials": meaning native materials. Podcasts, articles, movies, songs, books, conversation partners, etc.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5399 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 67 of 331
22 March 2012 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Yay bon voyage! :) Hope you have a great time, which I'm sure you will, and get to use
your languages often. Drop us a line occasionally :D

For me C level was all about practise, practise and more practise. Preferably with native
speakers in real immersion type situations as well as tons of written and audio input
aimed at natives. It also takes a very long time to progress from B2 to C1 and beyond, at
least to my satisfaction.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 68 of 331
27 March 2012 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Greetings from airport limbo. 30 hours in, 15 to go, and I'm putting Catalan on the shelf. I'm glad that I have
small familiarization with it, but realistically, I won't have much chance to use it, nor enough time to learn it
even to A1 level.

Whereas, I will need Italian, and I'm much further along.

There's a French / Arabic family on the same route who remind me of the Kardashians: they are all loud and
beautiful, and there are lots of them. And I speak enough French now to follow all their drama. It's keeping
me entertained.

Gatsby42
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 69 of 331
27 March 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

If I were starting from scratch on a new Romance language this is how I would do it,
based on what has worked for me this year:

Stage 1
overlap as needed:

1. Teach Yourself (just the first five to seven lessons). Estimated time: 10-20 hrs.
2. Michel Thomas Foundation. Estimated time: 15 hrs.
3. Pimsleur I and II. Estimated time: 30 hrs.
4. FSI Basic, Volume I. Estimated time: 75 hrs.
5. Assimil. Estimated time: 100 hrs.

I think this brings you to a solid A2 level, though a lot of people on HTLAL would say
B1.   

Stage 2

1. Michel Thomas Advanced (a.k.a. Perfect): 20 hrs
2. Pimsleur III. Estimated time: 15 hrs.
3. FSI Basic, Volume II. 75 hrs.
4. Assimil Perfectionnement. 40 hrs.
5. Immersion if possible.

This is where I'm at now, aiming for B2. I'll let you know if it works, or where it
went wrong if it doesn't!

I have no idea.

Hey, I have a question about your post. For the first half, when you say "Micheal
Thomas Foundation", what do you mean? Like with Assimil, there seem to be multiple
books and variations of each pack. When you recommend Assimil, do you mean Assimil with
Ease, Assimil without Toil etc.

Also, I'm curious if any of you ever supplement with college text. I'm in class for
Spanish now and as a result, my main source of learning has been the course textbook.
With it, I'm already near A1; so with that in mind, would you still recommend all of
these in order to achieve A2?

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5185 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 70 of 331
27 March 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
The Michel Thomas courses have different levels. The Foundation/Deluxe course (8 CDs), the Language Builder (2 CDs), the Vocabulary (5 CDs) and the Advanced (4 CDs). You can find them all over the internet, maybe at your library, and Amazon has them.

There are always different versions books and programs. With the Michel Thomas program, I don't think there is a difference (except between the different levels, of course.)

Many of the older Assimil texts are superior to the newer versions, but then you have the problem of finding corresponding audio. If you can find a copy of the older (Without Toil) book and audio to go with it, those are usually better. But they're not always easy to find (or affordable!).

As for textbooks, most of us here teach ourselves, without classroom learning. Most textbooks are geared to a classroom environment, with multiple students (and a native/fluent teacher). For self-learners, there are a lot more effective materials for most people.

Edited by Kerrie on 27 March 2012 at 1:46pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 71 of 331
27 March 2012 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
If you're in a class, I would skip the Teach Yourself series. It's similar enough to a course boom. Michel
Thomas, Pimsleur, and Assimil hit from different angles, so any of them would be a good addition.

Gatsby42
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 

Message 72 of 331
28 March 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie: Pretty much all the programs seem to be highly expensive. @.@ I already threw
down for my Pimsleur, but I'm not sure how many paychecks away I am for both Assimil and
Micheal Thomas. Suppose I'll cross that road when I reach it; thanks for the advice!

Kanewai: But not FSI basic? Either way, thanks.

This discussion contains 331 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version