Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4850 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 1 of 58
24 December 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to my language learning log of Japanese and Spanish, with which I'll contribute to my Team い of TAC 2012!

I'm gonna learn almost every single day next year - which is the opposite of what I did with Japanese in the last few years -, so my log should be really long by the end of the year. Spanish is needed to me for university admission, while Japanese is not really needed for job or anything. Just to be able to understand anime without subtitles, to have a start at Asian languages and of course to understand Japanese music. So it's mostly for fun really. I chose Spanish because I needed a romance language with many native speakers and with a relatively easy pronunciation.

My Japanese level is most likely at an upper-beginner level, while Spanish seems to be B1. I wish to reach JLPT N2 in Japanese by the end of the year and B2 in Spanish by the end of spring, therefore the focus will shift from the latter one to the former one at that time. I'll even have access to the Japanese library in Budapest, since I'll move there in the beginning of September, because of academic studies. As I noticed, it has got materials only in English or Japanese, its website says it has some German, French and such non-Hungarian materials as well, though. By the way it possesses JLPT materials among other books and magazines, so that deserves mentioning.

My materials for Japanese are Kiss Sándorné: Japán nyelvtani összefoglaló (which is a Japanese grammar summarizer) and the Hungarian version of Remembering the Kanji I, which is James W. Heisig - Rácz Zoltán: Megjegyezhető kandzsik. The Hungarian version is noticably different from the original one because of cultural differences, of course. I'll use writing on my paper to learn kana.

As for Spanish, I'll buy a GameBoy Color and a Spanish version of Pokemon Blue between now and 14. January, so that should give me some great linguistic knowledge and hopefully I'm gonna catch all 151 pokemon. :)

Plan of learning Japanese
January-February
- Remembering the Kanji I
March-July
- 6000 sentence method
August
- Native material
September-November
- Japanese Library. I'll mostly do previous JLPT exams.
December
- No clue, since JLPT will be held on the 2nd of December. I guess I'll stick to native materials.

Edit: I ain't got no functioning phone, thus I won't use it for learning kana.

Edited by Takato on 06 January 2012 at 2:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5784 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 2 of 58
26 December 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Hi Takato and welcome to the team. I'm quite envious of your access to the Japanese library. We have nothing like that here in Wales, although we do have a small number of Japanese books (like novels and children's books) in our public library, so I suppose that's not too bad. I would love it if I could get to a JLPT N2 level in 2012 too, but there seems to be so much to learn.

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4850 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 3 of 58
27 December 2011 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
My philosophy is something like aim high and you will finish high.

Edited by Takato on 27 December 2011 at 1:17am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6422 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 4 of 58
27 December 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Welcome!

I envy your library too. There are no Japanese books to be found around here. I have to buy everything over the internet.

I think with hard work you should be able to achieve your goals.

I'm planning to take up Spanish too, though not until 2013 when I will hopefully have a high enough level in Japanese to be able to just enjoy the language. Anyway, I will be very interested to read about your Spanish studies as well as you Japanese.

I was wondering, how does Japanese grammar compare to Hungarian? Japanese is very hard for English speakers because the grammar is so alien to us, but maybe it's different for Hungarians?

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4850 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 5 of 58
27 December 2011 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
The personal pronouns are to be omitted. "Jon-san" is "Jon úr", so the honorific comes after the name, and we say things like "doktor úr" and "tanár úr" which means Mr. Doctor and Mr. Teacher, so although we don't have as many honorifics as Japanese (so sensei can't be translated like that), there is relation. There is thouing in Hungarian of course, just like in Spanish, but it was somewhat expected.
"Shoku wo sagashi ni Toukyou e kimashita." means "Állást keresni jött Tokióba.", so the "ni" is apparent in "keresni".
"Anime no hajimari" is like "az anime kezdete", so like the anime's beginning, rather than the beginning of the anime, although as you can see "az" means the, so articles are apparent in Hungarian.
There's no continuos or perfect tense in Hungarian, so there's present, past and future, and that's all (so it's not exactly the same as in Japanese, but at least it's closer).
As you may notice, it certainly helps that I can speak Hungarian, but it helped to learn German as well, so what's the difference?
I might note that in Hungarian, changed word order almost never signifies incorrect grammar, but that the emphasis is shifted, so if I happen to know it right, it's the same in Japanese.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4838 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 6 of 58
28 December 2011 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Welcome aboard!! JLPT N2 is a tough goal, I wish you the best in your studies!!

ErwinHiggs
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4515 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 58
31 December 2011 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
I'm looking forward to your log and hope you the best, as it is a long journey before one
becomes a pokemon master. Best luck in regards to both your objectives!

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4850 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 8 of 58
01 January 2012 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Thank you guys for the wishes! ^^
Well, today is the first day of 2012, so I better got started. I did today:
30 minutes of reading Nihongo Notes 1
30 minutes of learning hiragana.
It was made up of 20 minutes of a hiragana game and 10 minutes Anki. (Yeah, I couldn't resist doing some Anki... Wasting my time... I never learn from my failures. :S)
It was a quite bad start, which makes me ashamed, so hopefully I'll learn more tomorrow in order to not put more shame onto myself.

Edited by Takato on 03 January 2012 at 11:58am

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version