Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
48 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4931 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 1 of 48
27 December 2011 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
I've already gathered all the resources in advance and defined my goals for Georgian TAC 2012 - Team ɬ.

They are:
learn the Georgian alphabet
complete "Beginner's Georgian" (Dodona Kiziria)
complete "Georgian Language Beginner Program" (Peace Corps)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (1)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (2)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (3)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (4)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (5)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (6)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (7)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (8)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (9)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (10)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (11)
learn the words to one popular Georgian song each month (12)
start watching one Georgian TV show weekly over the internet
find a Georgian conversation partner and commit to weekly skype sessions
start to use Lang-8 to write in Georgian
be able to follow a weather forecast for Georgia online and relay that information
be able to watch the nightly Georgian news and understand/relay information
watch at least 6 movies in Georgian (1)
watch at least 6 movies in Georgian (2)
watch at least 6 movies in Georgian (3)
watch at least 6 movies in Georgian (4)
watch at least 6 movies in Georgian (5)
watch at least 6 movies in Georgian (6)
read a novel in Georgian
complete "Georgian: A Learner's Grammar" (George Hewitt)
These are mostly set, with the exception of "Georgian: A Learner's Grammar (George Hewitt)".

I've also set up these goals on Accompl.sh. They're set to be locked into place on Jan. 1, 2012, so if anyone has any suggestions for changes or improvements, I'd be grateful to hear them and I can make changes accordingly.

I'm only planning on reaching an A2 level, but we'll see how things go as the year progresses.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5265 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 2 of 48
27 December 2011 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
How exciting to see another Georgian log on HTLAL! I'm looking forward to reading about your exploits with this fascinating, but crazily difficult, language.

I'm curious to know what TV programmes you are planning to watch and which novel you are thinking about reading. I can give you some recommendations if you'd like.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4931 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese

Message 3 of 48
27 December 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:

I'm curious to know what TV programmes you are planning to watch and which novel you are thinking about reading. I can give you some recommendations if you'd like.

I'll definitely take suggestions for these. It won't be for a good while that I even get to them, though.

Aside from a glance at the alphabet, I'm starting from zero. The Beginner's Georgian course in my list above has decent audio, even if the dialogues look a bit wonky. Once I've gone through them, I'll concentrate on finding something a bit more realistic, speed and content-wise.

R.
==

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5265 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian

Message 4 of 48
27 December 2011 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Well, for TV programmes, your best best is the Rustavi 2 archives
here.

The game shows such as Wheel of Fortune and Who Wants to be a Millionaire are probably
the best place to start.

There have also been some great Georgian films released in recent years. I can
definitely recommend "Three Houses" (Sami Sakhli), "Street Days" (Kuchis Dgheebi), and
"Trip to Karabakh" (Gaseirneba Qarabakhshi). Another film called "I think I will die
without You" (Ushenod Mgoni Movkvdebi) also looks good, but I haven't seen it yet. Most
of these are available on the Internet, either on You Tube or at
this rather amazing site.

If you want some insight into pre-Saakashvili Georgia, the British documentary Power
Trip and a multilingual film called Since Otar Left (in Georgian, Ratz Otari Tsavida)
are both fantastic.

As for novels, when you get around to them, I have found a writer called David
Kartvelishvili to be by far the easiest to read in the original Georgian.
Alternatively, there is a short novel called "Flight from USSR" by David Turashvili
that is available both in Georgian (in which it is called Jinsebis Taoba: "Jeans
Generation") and a really bad English translation. The novels of a Soviet writer from
the 50s and 60s called Nodar Dumbadze are also available in both Georgian and English
versions.

There are only two places that I've found to buy Georgian novels online,
here and
here.
There are a couple more sites where you can read Georgian literature on your computer
screen, but personally I much prefer a hard copy. Otherwise your only option is a trip
to Tbilisi!

As for textbooks, I think you are definitely best to start with Kiziria's book. I
actually think she is an excellent dialogue writer, and the Georgian in the book is, as
far as I can tell, highly authentic. She leaves out A LOT of grammar though, so you
will have to supplement with Aronson or Hewitt sooner rather than later.

That's about all I can think of for now. Looking forward to reading about your
progress.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4931 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 

Message 5 of 48
27 December 2011 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, TixhiiDon. Those resources will be useful.

R.
==

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4931 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 

Message 6 of 48
31 December 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Is it cheating if I start a day early? I wanted to get a head start with the alphabet. I use Ubuntu as my primary OS, so I made sure I could change the keyboard layout to handle the alphabet. It was as easy as adding the layout to my keyboard preferences, then choosing the layout whenever I need to use it. I also have a note-taking application for Android called "Genial Writing" that I use on my tablet, so I can use that to practice handwriting.

Around the middle of 2011 I originally took a look at the alphabet, so it wasn't completely foreign to me. In fact, I remembered quite a bit of it. When I had originally looked at it, I just used Wikipedia. This time around I'm using Kiziria's "Beginner's Georgian". I had a pleasant surprise while looking at the example words used to teach the alphabet, in that there were several Turkish cognates:

უთო [uto]            ütü - iron
გუგული [guguli]            guguk - cuckoo
ჰავა [hava]            hava - climate
ჯუჯა [juja]            cüce - dwarf
თუთუნი [tutuni]            tütün - tobacco
კალამი [k'alami]     kalem - pen
ყავა [q'ava]            kahve - coffee

I expect I'll run into a few more throughout the course. In fact, I know I will. I've glanced ahead in the book and seen some more, so that's a nice bonus.

shawns
Diglot
United States
Joined 5095 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 7 of 48
31 December 2011 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Hrhenry,
I didn't know those were Turkish cognates. It makes sense that there are some Turkish words since the Turks
were always so close. There are several Farsi cognates too.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4931 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 

Message 8 of 48
01 January 2012 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Continuing on with the alphabet, I've cracked open the Peace Corps Georgia course and taken a look at Lesson One. It's mostly the alphabet, which is good, continued practice. And I've started in with the "Useful Words and Expressions" section of Kiziria's "Beginner's Georgian". It covers basic numbers one to ten, days of the week, times of the day, basic time-telling, months, family member names and a couple tongue twisters.

I've found a couple more Georgian/Turkish cognates in both courses (საათია/saat [hour, o'clock], ქირა/kira [hire, rent] and კირი/kireç [lime].

Once thing I'm finding I don't like about the Peace Corps course is that it doesn't seem to differentiate from similar sounds in its transliteration (for example, the ქ/კ sounds in the words for "hire" and "lime" are transliterated the same).

The Kiziria course also has a section before the "Useful Words and Expressions" section that deals with last names and their geographical relevance. I'd read up on that elsewhere (although I can't remember where), so I didn't spend much time with it.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 01 January 2012 at 7:10pm

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version