Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 41 of 108
29 April 2012 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Cool! Czech and Hungarian are still bigger priorities for me during the 6 weeks, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to win, unless it's not your priority either?

I still aim to do at least something every day though in Polish.

Serpent, you're welcome to join our mini Polish competition.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 42 of 108
29 April 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Yay :)
What exactly is the competition? :)

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 43 of 108
29 April 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Nothing complicated. Just who can do the most Polish during the 6 week challenge, out of us three.

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4914 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 44 of 108
29 April 2012 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your mini Polish competiton!

I'll follow this log ;)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 45 of 108
29 April 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
I am so tempted to join you guys, even though I would just be doing Assimil for a half hour a day. It's a good thing I don't have the audio to my new Assimil book yet. :D

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 46 of 108
30 April 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
So there's at least three of us for a mini Polish competition then? That would be great!

@hribecek: I'm not so sure I'll win. Polish will be one priority and my other priority is Spanish. My Spanish is at an embarrassingly poor level and the Super Challenge starts on the same day. I also know that if I neglect Swedish or Finnish for more than a couple days I will have some kind of mental withdrawal symptoms that will make me spend at least one day listening to, and reading, Swedish and Finnish.

@Kerrie: If I were more disciplined I could maybe spend an hour a day on Polish, but I have never been a very disciplined student.

@Gosiak: Thank you, and welcome to my log.

Edited by mick33 on 05 October 2012 at 6:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 47 of 108
01 May 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Since it's still 30 April where I am, (Well, it was when I started typing) I can type a post about the little bit of Hindi I've learned in the last few days. As I wrote in message #37 my main focus was learning the Devanagari alphabet or as much of it as I could. What I mean by learning the alphabet is how to write the individual letters as well as writitng one word that uses the letter, listen to the sounds that correspond to the letters and try to pronounce them. The spelling looks to be phonetic or pretty close but there were a few unexpected surprises when I began to pronounce the words. It seems that Hindi has many consonants that sound alike but actually are not quite the same sound such as क, क़, ख. At first all three sounded the same but listening to them a second time revealed that क is probably unaspirated while क़ and ख sound like they could be aspirated. As I read more I found out that क़, as in क़लम (pen), is supposed be a k sound that is pronounced in the back of throat but it is only used for words with sounds that are not found in Sanskrit, the ancient language from which Hindi is descended. I also learned a little bit of vocabulary, very little.

Aside from क़लम, I also learned
कमर - room
नमस्ते - a greeting
शुरू - start
खाना - food, or to eat
ठंड - cold (I think it's a noun)

I didn't even look at anything to do with grammar, but knowing how I am about languages I'll very likely revisit Hindi a few times and look at the grammar then.

Now that I've done my part to encourage more language wanderlust among the readers of this log, I must get some sleep so that I can begin the May 6WC and the Half Super Challenge in the morning.

buenas noches
dobranoc
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 05 October 2012 at 7:56pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 48 of 108
01 May 2012 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Oh no!!!!!!!
I had just shoved my interest in Devanagari idk where...and here come you and revive it:(
at least by now I have two reasons to be interested in Hindi and Sanskrit:
-the alphabet
-the fact that in the Hindi translations of Harry Potter, Sanskrit is used the way Latin is in the original (and in most/all European translations).
Ughhhhh. these reasons aren't good enough. aeljfldfjljgldgjdlgjljgdlfjgldgjljh

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version