Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
199 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 24 25 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 105 of 199
04 January 2013 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
I just went over a little bit of chapter 6 in TY Russian. I listened to the first
dialogue, and I understood most of it without looking at the glossary. I learned the
difference between playing a game/sport and playing an instrument (for instruments you
use на and for games, в+accusative). I also learned an interesting construction
dative+пора+infinitive, for example, "Володе пора идти." It's not much, but like they say
in Hebrew, le'at le'at! (little by little). :)

Update: Now I am going over a book I have called Gruzinskii yazik c mamoi. It's a book
for mothers who want to speak Georgian to their children. I got it to learn Georgian,
obviously, but I think I learn just as much Russian from it, if not more!

Edited by zecchino1991 on 04 January 2013 at 3:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 106 of 199
04 January 2013 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm going all out. ;)

1 person has voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 107 of 199
05 January 2013 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
Well, I didn't do much as far as Russian goes today...I was in a Georgian/Hebrew kind of
mood. :)

All I did was go through the glossary of TY Russian and practice pronouncing the words
and take note of any that I didn't know/thought were important. I also watched a video
from Russian for Free. An important word I learned (from both the video and the TY book)
was взрослый (adult), and some interesting ones: беременная (pregnant) and инопланетянин
(alien)! That last one goes well with the movie I watched yesterday (and a little bit
today, too). :)

Other than that I just watched a couple of very short videos in Russian. Tomorrow I will
do more Russian and less Georgian and Hebrew. :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 108 of 199
05 January 2013 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
You have put the settings on your phone in Russian? I am impressed! I tried it with Facebook, but my
Russian was not strong enough at that point. You have inspired me to try again!

I envy you doing Hebrew and Georgian, but I do not have the capacity to add any more languages, and
besides I have promised my daughter never to do Georgian.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 109 of 199
05 January 2013 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Well, technically my Russian's not strong enough either, but I already know what most of
the important things say from memory, so it doesn't matter. And that way I learn what the
Russian words mean, since I already know what they say in English! :)

And I remember reading you talking about that thing with your daughter and Georgian. I
thought that was a very interesting idea. Georgian is a really wonderful language, and
not just because of those beautiful letters! (sorry to tease you, haha). Hebrew is great,
too! :)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 05 January 2013 at 8:05pm

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 110 of 199
05 January 2013 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
My mom just gave me full cable in my room so my dad would stop watching so much TV, and I
discovered that there are some Russian channels! But we don't get them. :( We don't get a
lot of the higher channels because we are cheap and don't want to pay for them (which is
not a bad thing I guess!). Too bad I am not learning Armenian, because we get tons of
Armenian channels, even on basic cable (there are a lot of Armenian people where I live)!
I might have to get those Russian channels, since I don't really watch TV and I might as
well have something that I would actually have a reason to watch!

Edit: I'm watching one of the Armenian channels, and there is a show where they are
speaking Russian, but (I think?) with an Armenian accent. Interesting!...I'm gonna go
check what's on the Armenian/Russian channel (that's actually what it's called...)!

Edited by zecchino1991 on 05 January 2013 at 10:36pm

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 111 of 199
06 January 2013 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
Today I did like four of the Little Challenges, so I am very tired! I listened to some TY
dialogues, too, but I wasn't exactly paying attention that closely...I also watched part
of a movie. I feel like this was a pretty productive day for Russian overall! :)

When I was writing I realized I really need to review my case declensions! I will do that
tomorrow for sure. My teacher would have a heart attack if she saw them right now!

By the way, my mom is going to order the Russian channels back! Apparently we had them
before and I never knew it. There is at least one movie channel, and a couple other
channels, too. I think that will be great practice, especially for when I am too tired to
do anything else (like right now).

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5476 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 112 of 199
06 January 2013 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
You're way ahead of me on the LCs! Well done! And congratulations on getting Russian TV back. I admit, I don't watch much of it myself. Theres some shows that I recognise from the UK on there but with a Russian cast etc. There are some American shows like Big Bang Theory and The Simpsons too, but they do a terrible job of dubbing them. It's literally a translator just talking over the English voices!

Keep up the stellar work!

Edited by Toffeeliz on 06 January 2013 at 9:23am

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version