Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
199 messages over 25 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 24 25 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 17 of 199
11 January 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
Ahh ok, that makes sense.

Well, so today I did more book2. This time I just did the section "Small talk 1." Then I
discovered they have an iPhone app! It's really cool, you can do quizzes where you hear
the word and then pick the right translation from a list. But for some reason it talks at
me in Hebrew! Oh well, that's even better practice I guess! ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 199
11 January 2012 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Do you have Hebrew set on your iPhone?

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 19 of 199
11 January 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, but that's not why it did that. I figured it out. It's because the first list asks you which language you
want to learn, and the second one asks you which language you want everything to be translated to. So on
the first one I chose Hebrew and on the second English. Then when I wanted to switch from Hebrew to
Russian I accidentally changed the second list to Russian instead of the first. So basically it thought I
wanted to learn Hebrew in Russian haha..

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 199
11 January 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Heh yes I had the same with the web version when i picked Danish :D

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 21 of 199
12 January 2012 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
So today other than book2 I listened to two podcasts in Russian. One was about Chinese
food and the only things I understood were "Chinese" and a bunch of words that are the
same in English. The other one was about Kim Jong Il and it had a professor talking
about him. That's pretty much all I got from that one. I also listened to some of the
dialogues from Teach Yourself Russian, including one that I hadn't heard before. I
wanted to see how much I could comprehend, and I actually understood the majority of
it! Some of those dialogues are so silly... but that's ok, it's more entertaining that
way!

I'm gonna go download some Romanian and Italian podcasts now. I also have some Italian
ones that I got from LingQ already, so I'll listen to those too. I understand them for
the most part, so I am curious to see how much I'll understand of regular podcasts,
i.e. ones that are not specifically made for Italian language learners. I also tried to
talk to my Italian friend on Facebook to practice but she only answered me once. Maybe
I'll catch her on messenger...

So other than that, I think I might go review some grammar from my Russian textbook and
translate some more Italian songs. By the way, if you are looking for podcasts in other
languages, search for SBS podcasts. It's a program from Australia and they do podcasts
in a bunch of different languages on lots of topics. They even have some obscure
languages like Maltese (which I LOVE, by the way) and an Australian aboriginal
language.

That's it, until... whenever I am scheduled to study Russian again. ;)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 12 January 2012 at 6:26am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 22 of 199
14 January 2012 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
Hello! So today I did some Russian, and yesterday I listened to some Romanian and
Italian podcasts. I got them from SBS
podcasts. I understood a lot of the Italian one, but not as much as I usually do when I
listen to things in
Italian. And of course, I didn't understand much of the Romanian one, since I haven't
studied it that much, but
I can pick up words here and there. I also listened to the same two Russian ones over
and over again. I
noticed that this one girl uses tons of English words and I thought it was really
annoying, until I remembered
that these podcasts come from Australia...hehe.

Other than that, I did chapter 6 of TY Russian. I learned about the dative case and how
to say "I like..." (мне
нравится). So that's it. Maybe I'll go do some book2, but this time Russian-Arabic. ;)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 28 March 2012 at 7:59am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 23 of 199
16 January 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
Today I didn't really study anything, unless listening to a bunch of Italian music
counts... But probably not because I do that every day! So I am just going to listen to
some podcasts. But I wanted to ask, can anyone recommend any good Russian shows to watch?
Italian or Romanian ones would be good, too! Also, I decided I want to work on my Spanish
and French again too, so I'd be happy to hear some recommendations for those languages.
:)

Update: I just realized, LingQ has been sending me Russian lingqs of the day and I've just been ignoring
them. Well, I should start paying attention to them, because they're very useful! My favorite ones for today
are научусь (since it is future tense and I haven't learned that yet), буду ( same reason), and с. That's a
Cyrillic с, meaning "with" in Russian. Dunno how I haven't learned that yet! :X

Edited by zecchino1991 on 16 January 2012 at 9:35am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 24 of 199
16 January 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
What sort of shows? I don't like anything on our TV except чгк (you already know this one:)) and easier quiz shows like кто хочет стать миллионером (no explanations needed I suppose), своя игра (that's my dad there, the one saying "по-моему, футбол", couldn't help showing off:DDD) and самый умный (ok as you can see the questions are read really fast LMAO... not sure I recommend this:P)
Oh and there's also a more casual one, сто к одному. Yeah i suppose i recommend this one. There are two teams, often co-workers. like in the example vid they're from Bolshoi and Malyi theatre. They start out by introducing everyone. And the main thing, for the program, they ask random people on the streets various questions, like in that one: What is needed for a good trip? You gotta guess the 6 most popular answers. Three incorrect guesses mean your turn is over, and the other team tries to guess (they come up with just one answer - everyone suggests something and the captain chooses). If their guess is in the list, they get all points that were in play in this round, double in двойная игра, triple in тройная игра. Then there's also игра наоборот, where you have to guess the least popular answers, but those that are in the list. The points are fixed there, with 240 for the 6th answer. And finally my favourite part, большая игра. Again simple questions, you just give one answer and you have 15 seconds for 5 questions. Then another person from the same team, who didn't hear the questions, answers them too. There can't be repeats. Together the two need to earn 200 points. This happens rarely because of the time pressure and the extra pressure on the second guesser who needs to find the balance between too common and too uncommon answers. This pressure also often leads to random crazy/hilarious answers :D

The good thing about this program for language learners is that there's a lot of repetition. Also, the key words appear in writing (though same is true about other shows I mentioned). And a lot of the vocabulary is quite basic though you'll also pick up a lot. You may even pause and look for an appropriate word list before watching the discussion (for example, the second question is about theatre while the question for игра наоборот involves names of trees).

BTW, to link to a specific moment, click share under the video and pick settings.

Edited by Serpent on 16 January 2012 at 12:54pm

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version