199 messages over 25 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 24 25 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 49 of 199
29 April 2012 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Your Russian is so impressive. ♥
a couple of things.. we don't really use those [NOT+positive word] structures, like "I don't know many words" or "Russia isn't a developed country." we're a bit like toki pona in this regard :PPP So as uncool as it sounds, you have to say either "я знаю слишком мало слов" или "я не знаю многих слов" - "I have a small vocabulary" or "there are a lot of words I don't know (when I'm trying to say something)". to make it sound better, add пока 'so far' to show that you're trying to change that. еще also often works here.

LOL about Russian swear words. For some reason the category of using them in Russian is almost binary, you either swear (материшься) or you don't :) One can also say "я почти не матерюсь" but that's it. Actually it might again have to do with what I described above. Those who don't swear usually have a stronger dislike for swear words than what you expressed. By default there can't be a neutral attitude so if you have one you gotta say so. (using expressions like мне пофиг, мне все равно etc:))

But if I were a teacher I'd mark just one thing in your text - "трудно мне писать по-русски". The  English word order has crept in. I think in this sort of sentences, even if grammatically мне/тебе/ему isn't the subject, it still behaves like one, so the most natural place is in the beginning of the sentence. In fact I can't think of a natural sentence where it wouldn't come before трудно. Only perhaps in colloquial speech where the word order gets messed up: но вот трудно мне... (continuation) =) with those pauses and a very frustrated intonation:) Even in the colloquial written language this wouldn't be written this way anymore.
Oh and it's also possible in VERY emphatic exclamations, like "¿¿¿¡¡¡but what if it's difficult for me???!!!" :D
1 person has voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 50 of 199
29 April 2012 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Thank you again for your wonderful responses!! :D
Serpent wrote:

But if I were a teacher I'd mark just one thing in your text - "трудно мне писать по-
русски". The  English word order has crept in.

Good to know! I just heard that construction (мне трудно) in a song once and that's how
it was said. I've never actually heard it anywhere else yet ! :)

Spasibo! :D

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 51 of 199
03 May 2012 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:

Good to know! I just heard that construction (мне трудно) in a song once and that's
how it was said. I've never actually heard it anywhere else yet ! :)

Update: Now I have! Apparently this is one of the things we are learning this chapter.
I learned it yesterday, and what do you know, the мне comes first! (Not that I doubted
you, Serpent!). Guess I should've read a little further in the chapter. :P

I just want to update myself on what we're learning now (for posterity). This is our
second to last chapter in this book (we used the same one last semester). These cases
are really starting to confuse me! Just when I figured out genitive singular, we
started learning genitive plural and everything just got all mixed up in my head. And
now we are learning dative, which doesn't help! But I am getting the hang of it. I'm
sure it will be easy after a while (for the most part...). Next chapter we are learning
instrumental case. I can't even imagine what will be in the next book.

Well, I guess that's all for now. I will write another "story" soon. :P Oh yeah, and I
just remembered, this morning I was reminded how cool Romanian is! So I'll get back on
that. But I am still focusing on Spanish more. :)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 03 May 2012 at 12:40am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 52 of 199
27 May 2012 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
I just realized how long it's been since I updated here. :O Time flies...

And I don't know why I didn't write about this before, but I finished my second
semester of Russian! I'm pretty sure I will do a third one if I can get in the class
(there's a 99% chance I will ;).

We didn't really finish the book, there was one more chapter. My teacher decided we
didn't need to do it because it was review, but I don't think so. I think it taught us
how to use the word "с" (with), which I think is kind of important! And also it teaches
words about food/eating. All of these things were on the final but I didn't know them.
It's ok though cause she let us skip the things we didn't learn. :)
The final wasn't any worse than the other tests really!

Next semester we will focus more on speaking, which I need work with badly! That's
always the hardest thing for me in every language! Not necessarily pronunciation, or
saying short things, but actually talking spontaneously. Although in Russian the
pronunciation is kind of hard. It always comes out so funny. I'm just not used to the
way it feels when I speak it. I always feel like my tongue is stuck on the top of my
mouth and it's odd. But somehow I can still do a pretty good Russian accent in Hebrew
and I can imitate my teacher in English haha! I think I've learned how to do a Russian
accent in English more than I've learned actual Russian. :D

So that's all for Russian. Now for Spanish I have started reading a book. It's pretty
easy. Reading has never been my problem in Spanish, but I think it's good practice
anyway. And I've already read the book in English, which is good for learning
vocabulary! Right now I am listening to the TV. I was actually watching it before but I
moved to the computer because there was una araña by my bed! ;) By the way, I just
remembered that the guy who hosts the show I'm watching speaks Russian and he spoke it
on the show once a couple years ago. I wish I could find it and see how much I
understand now!

So that's all. I want to write something in Russian and Spanish but I can't think of
anything right now, so I'll do it tomorrow. Do cvidaniya y adios! (Isn't it convenient
how "and" is the same in Russian and Spanish?? ;)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 27 May 2012 at 6:32am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 53 of 199
17 June 2012 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
Just felt like writing something since I haven't in a long time...

Сегодня я писала по-грузински. мне очень трудно писать на этом языке, но труднее писать
по-русски. Поэтому, я хочу писать что-то сейчас. Сегодня я слушала песню, "Мама, Я
Люблю Грузина." Мне нравится эта песня потому, что я изучаю грузинский язык и в песне
есть несколько грузинских слов. Например, "мама, я люблю грузина" по-грузински, это
"деди, ме михварс картвели." :D

Well I said I would write in Spanish too, so I might as well. :D

Hoy escribí en georgiano. Es muy difícil para mí escribir en esta lengua, pero es más
difícil escribir en ruso. Por eso, quisiera escribir algo ahora. Hoy escuché una
canción que se llama 'Mamá, amo a un georgiano.' Me gusta esta canción porque estudio
la lengua georgiana y en la canción hay algunas palabras georgianas. Por ejemplo,
'mamá, amo a un georgiano' en la lengua georgiana sería 'Dedi, me mijvars kartveli.'

I know this has nothing to do with this log but I feel like writing in Hebrew so hey,
why not. :D

היום כתבתי בגרוזינית. מאוד קשה לי לכתוב בשפה הזאת, אבל יותר קשה לי לכתוב ברוסית. לכן,
אני רוצה לכתוב משהו עכשיו. היום שמעתי שיר שנקרא "אמא, אני אוהבת גרוזיני." אני אוהבת את
השיר הזה כי אני לומדת גרוזינית ובשיר יש כמה מילים בגרוזינית. למשל, "אמא, אני אוהבת
גרוזיני" בגרוזינית זה "דאדי, מה מיחוורס קרטוולי."

I'll write it in Georgian next, but on my other log. :D

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 54 of 199
11 July 2012 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
Well I signed up for my classes, and they don't seem to be offering the third semester
of Russian. So unless they start offering it later, then I guess I'm on my own! Oh well,
I like it better that way anyway. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 55 of 199
13 August 2012 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
I haven't updated here in a while, but I just want to say that I made new language
goals/priorities for myself. I will be focusing on Russian, Georgian, Spanish, Hebrew,
and Arabic. I want to be able to speak those at a functional level (not sure exactly
what that means for me yet, but I will know eventually ;). Of course, I will still study
others! I don't have such high goals for them though. Although that will probably
change!

So anyway, like I said, I can't take Russian at school this semester (kind of a relief,
to be completely honest!), so I will be studying from my many Russian books that I have
hardly even touched! When I learn new words I will write things.
:)

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 56 of 199
20 August 2012 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
I finally wrote something! Enjoy. :)

Я изучаю иврит уже 4 года. Я изучаю этот язык потому, что у меня есть много израильских
друзей. Я также люблю израильскую музыку. Я думаю, что это нетрудный язык. На самом
деле, русский язык труднее, чем иврит. Русская грамматика очень сложная. На иврите
падежа нет, а на русском есть слишком много падежей. Мне очень нравится русский язык, но
я говорю на иврите лучше, чем русский.

By the way, how do say "anyway"? As in, "Russian is hard, but I like it anyway."

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version