Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
199 messages over 25 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 24 25 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 33 of 199
13 February 2012 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
I think I am slowly starting to understand more Spanish. I watched the same show I always watch and it's
getting easier. I actually understand Don Francisco now!

Not much to say about Russian, since all we did in class on Thursday was take a test. But I found some new
songs to learn! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 34 of 199
07 March 2012 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
I just got a voicemail, but it's in Russian! I can't understand what it's about... I know
who it's from (a bookstore I ordered something from), but that's about it. All I
understood was allo, dobriy den', dom knigi, gruzinskiy yazyk (I ordered some Georgian
books), k sozhaleniyu, and the phone number he wanted me to call. I think they're saying
they don't have the books I wanted. I wish I knew a way to post it here!
;P

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 35 of 199
08 March 2012 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
some words that could be there:
заказ
товар
артикул
нет на складе
нет в наличии
доставить, осуществить доставку
невозможно/нет возможности
предоплата
предварительный

which site did you order from and did you pay? it seems like moscow dom knigi doesn't routinely ship abroad so they might've needed to contact you for special arrangements. i recommend emailing them to explain you don't speak fluent Russian and didn't understand the message on your voicemail.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 36 of 199
08 March 2012 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Also did you place your order today? Could they just be informing you that they'll ship it after the extended weekend (bc of Women's day)?

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 37 of 199
08 March 2012 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
No they ship abroad. I'm pretty sure they're just saying they don't have the books. I'll email them. It's just
kinda fun to try and understand what they're saying. ;)
I'll listen for those words. Thanks!

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 38 of 199
19 March 2012 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
Well I guess I was right because they sent only one of the books. But that's ok, cause
the one I got is really cool!

Well I guess I should update for real now that the challenge is over. Since I was
focusing on Georgian, all my hours from Russian came from school/homework. Right now we
are studying genitive case (fun...), so far it's not so hard. I feel like the book we
are using gives very good explanations of grammar, but not the most useful vocabulary.
Can't do much with grammar rules when I have no words to use with it! I guess I'll have
to fix that on my own. ;)

I noticed this when I tried to say some basic sentences in Russian and Georgian, and
found that I can say much more in Georgian! I think it's partly because I learned
Georgian more "naturally," i.e. from native content, not just a textbook designed
specifically for college students with a strong focus on academic vocabulary. So
there's something else I'll have to fix! :)

Edit: Oh and I must say, I am getting a lot of accidental Spanish practice lately! I am
taking a class where I hear a lot of Spanish because we talk about code switching and
things like that. And I am taking another class where I have to read books that are
partly in Spanish. I even got myself some time for the 6WC from it! :)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 19 March 2012 at 4:35am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5054 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 39 of 199
20 March 2012 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
One more really random thing... I just discovered something. I can no longer write
English in cursive, because I end up using Cyrillic cursive! Kind of annoying, because I
like writing in Latin cursive, I just never do it so it's hard now that I write in
Russian so much.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5191 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 40 of 199
20 March 2012 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
Haha. I wish I had that problem! :-)

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version