370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 73 of 109
16 June 2012 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Eumaeus wrote:
The following is a post from David Hayter on the Rosetta Stone
facebook page. It's a straight copy and paste,
I've made no alterations.

David Hayter I just wish they said in the article, "This confirms that Rosetta Stone is
how to learn a language, and all the dweebs on howtolearnanylanguage.com need to throw
out their Assimil book/cassette packs from the '50s and get with the times." Somethin
like that :)   25 May 2011 at 09:32 via Mobile ยท 1

He's just been mugging us off and we fell for it!

Thankfully, my eyes have never been poisoned with having to read such an idiotic
childish remark like this one from Mr. Hayter. Until now.   ;-)

Terry W. - who happens to be...a dude...or a bearded lady. *You* decide.
6 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5230 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 74 of 109
16 June 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm really tired of these endless discussions about RS that has become something of a sore subject here at HTLAL. @serpent made a suggestion that I had mentioned earlier. Why not have users of RS come forward and demonstrate for all to see what they have learned with the product.

This also applies to all the products out there. I would love to see a kind of video blog where on day 1 the user opens product XYZ and we follow the person daily to the when the person does a little speech in the target language.

My own intuition is that a) the vast majority (over 90%) of buyers never make to the end and b) most of these packages will not get you beyond A2.

Am I wrong?
12 persons have voted this message useful

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6033 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 75 of 109
17 June 2012 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
I just wish they said in the article, "This confirms that Rosetta Stone is
how to learn a language, and all the dweebs on howtolearnanylanguage.com need to throw
out their Assimil book/cassette packs from the '50s and get with the times." Somethin
like that :)

cassette packs in the 1950s? Cassette tapes were not introduced until 1964 and were not really common until the 1970s. A 1950s Assimil book/cassette pack is impossible thing.

get with the times is the expression used for someone not using the newest fad item. I remember it being used with leisure suits and pet rocks.

as for this list being dweebs, I guess dweeb does not mean "a person who behaves awkwardly around other people and usually has unstylish hair, clothes, etc." That does not fit with this web site. Is there a newer meaning?
4 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5583 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 76 of 109
17 June 2012 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
Tried the online demo for Italian. In order to get an idea of what ground is covered I
also had a look at the pdfs for Spanish (1-3 for Spanish of Spain and 1-5 for Lat Am
Spanish) which I had lying around from a previous trip to Uzbekistan, but never got
round to looking at. I can see the potential, but I think Serpent has a really good
point with the 10k sentence thing for inducing grammar. Like Pimsleur I can see how it
would be useful as a supplement, but if that has to be the price to cover development
costs then it is a pointless product (who can afford so much for a supplement?!). I
could never afford it anyway, but even if I could afford it I would only spend that
much on my core method. Now Pimsleur I can get from my library and IMO it is actually a
better supplement than RS simply because I now realise that pronunciation (where
Pimsleur excels) is so important, I don't yet see where RS excels.

Summary: IMO if you have that kind of money then RS *is* a worthwhile supplement for
romance languages; as a core method it is rather lacking and you will need something
else. For anyone like me earning a low wage it would be a rather cruel joke if you were
to spend your hard-earned savings on this thinking you were going to learn a language.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 77 of 109
17 June 2012 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Wouldn't it be better to just collect sentences on your own and SRS them? You could even find suitable photos online, as artistic/funny/creepy as you want.
8 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6709 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 78 of 109
17 June 2012 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
For anyone like me earning a low wage it would be a rather cruel joke if you were to spend your hard-earned savings on this thinking you were going to learn a language.

Agreed. It seems like the most expensive product out there gives you the least amount of content, although some people will possibly learn something.
5 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6709 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 79 of 109
17 June 2012 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to just collect sentences on your own and SRS them? You could even find suitable photos online, as artistic/funny/creepy as you want.

Great suggestion. That's even cheaper than getting one of those "phrasebook+CD" packages.
4 persons have voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4511 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 80 of 109
19 June 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
So has anyone here actually used the newest version of
Rosetta Stone for any language yet? I'd never buy just due
to the cost being prohibitive (and hopefully because I'll be
ready for all material after Assimil and the penguin
coursebook). However, getting an opinion of an actual user
would be nice.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 109 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version