Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
109 messages over 14 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 13 14 Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4929 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 35 of 109
13 June 2012 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
David Hayter wrote:
I must emphasize again that I
strongly dislike the company, a lot of the program...

I don't that at all from your postings. If anything, it comes across as calculated
product placement.

R.
==
10 persons have voted this message useful

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5403 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 36 of 109
13 June 2012 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
David Hayter wrote:
I'd like to take this moment to say that I'm aware that there's been a lot of RS
bashing on this forum, for obvious/not obvious reasons. I must emphasize again that I
strongly dislike the company, a lot of the program, but think it has much more merit
than people give it credit for. I don't see much of a point in having circle arguments
where one person says "I think xyz about it is terrible!" and my reply "Oh yeah? Well
I don't!" for much longer. n.

Oh so now you're putting it all back on us? I seem to remember it was you who had their posts deleted for, of
all things, name calling. And that was after you had already referred to TerryW's question as " childish" and
"idiotic".

My complaint is in no way circular. I paid an exorbitant amount of money for a substandard product.
It was like a set of flash cards made by Fischer Price.
8 persons have voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 4990 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 37 of 109
13 June 2012 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
David Hayter wrote:

But how much of the reading/viewing would he have understood prior?

Ask the people who followed Pimsleur or Michel Thomas first. The logs here are full of such people, and they appear to have done just fine. There are many right ways to embark on a language study. There is nothing magic about Rosetta Stone. Yes, it's slick but not magic. Again, there exist cheaper and equally (if not more) effective methods for getting an introduction to a new language.

After 600 hours of study, whether a person started with Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone and then went on to something more comprehensive like FSI, the thing that will determine their current ability is what they did in those final 550 hours, not the first 50.

12 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 38 of 109
13 June 2012 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
David Hayter wrote:
One is the nitpickiness of the photoshopped pictures in Moscow, etc. It's ridiculous to think they should fly someone to Moscow to take less than 5 photos for the course, just so it "looks real." The other is the specific comment about how the newspaper is in Arabic, when he's learning Dutch. YOU'RE JUST LEARNING THE WORD NEWSPAPER. NEWSPAPERS ARE MADE IN ALL SORTS OF LANGUAGES.
I entirely agree with Benny that the images are too American (sad if even you don't see it). And that the bad photoshopping wouldn't be a problem if RS wasn't so proud of having great photos. Why not buy an authentic stock photo or as he said, at least make sure the lighting, contrast etc fits the background?
And using a photo of an Arabic newspaper basically takes away all the good about RS. If this was at least a well-known one like The Times or even better, a popular Dutch newspaper for a Dutch course, it would create stronger associations than the generic, random one that most users of the program aren't ever going to read.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4808 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 39 of 109
13 June 2012 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
David Hayter wrote:
tibbles wrote:
David wrote:
HayterThat's interesting. A
friend of mine did French
1-5 and got a B2 about 6 months after,
again with A LOT of time spent reading, watching the news/films, etc.

But that 2nd part of your friend's learning process isn't Rosetta Stone and happened
probably several hundred hours worth of language study later. Rosetta Stone (levels 1-
5) constitute only about 60-80 hours of unique language instruction, so it's no
surprise that using it will only get a person to the A1/A2 range.

But how much of the reading/viewing would he have understood prior?

Also, a big component we're skipping over here is output. In Rosetta Stone it's forced
right from the beginning, encouraging you to practice speaking and generating sentences
on your own. In other methods you're just writing them - which doesn't help on a
certification test. In Level 5 there are some quite long passages that you have to
read, some of them repeat without seeing the text, and others producing following a
common train of thought throughout the slides. I think this is paramount in a language
ability - not just a knowledge of vocabulary, etc. - but rather an ability to
communicate effectively on your own.

Firstly, my experience with Rosetta stone is limited to the demo on the website. I read
a lot about RS and I was curious whether it is really so bad or just intended for other
kind of use. I gave Rosetta the chance to impress me with the demo and their
information about the courses.

The price is high but I might have even spared the money if it was really great (I am
already giving quite a lot for my resources, so I could gather the money (or I could
wish it for Christmas) :-) ). But for the price, it would need a lot of input, lot of
audio, useful exercises and enough content to be my main resource for levels A1-B2 (or
at least B1). After trying the demo, I wouldn't even waste the space on my hard drive
for a pirated copy.

First con is the lack of clear explanation of grammar. For the basics, it wouldn't need
to be so far from the "no translation" approach. I would just need to know what is each
part of the sentence, and why the verb just changed to not have to only memorise a
phrase. The "grammar explanations are boring, difficult and good for nothing" is just a
marketing using people's experiences with school language classes decades ago. A good
explanation doesn't harm, quite the opposite.

The output you mention in the post (it made me laugh so I quoted it) is something I
didn't find in the demo. Multiple choice is not much of output. It requires
memorisation word-picture, which may be really great (I use flashcards and find them
really efficient) but applying this to whole sentences just cannot lead to creating
your own, not right from the beginnings as RS claims. Not without grammar explanation.
I am all for a ton of examples for everything you learn, but just the examples without
any explanation would make me learn 100 times slower.

Sure, the voice recognition would be a wonderful thing, and this might be the great
output you speak of, David. If it really worked. I would love to use something like
this myself for my self-taught languages in the beginnings, to perfect my
pronunciation. But if it is buggy, and recongnizes heavy american accent as correct and
native speaker as wrong, as more reviews mention, I don't think it is worth the money.
I couldn't try it myself, because it is not part of the demo. Too bad, since it is
something RS seems to be so proud of.

What I loved in the demo, is the audio. Great for a beginner. I can't tell how much of
it is in the whole course, but I really liked the pieces I heard in the demo.

I've read the content list as well. The topics seem to me like A1/A2 level, but there
is no official information about the cefr level. Which is quite lacking since the
product is offered in Europe as well. And I cannot see how the product teaches me to
write, which it claims to teach as well.

A few things in the "how it works" seemed weird and nonsense to me:

"By eliminating flash cards, dictionaries, grammar and boring memory tests, our
solution empowers you to discover, experience and enjoy your new language to the full."
What I saw of the product were ONLY flashcards and memory tests. Yes, RS might be good
at that (it might even be the best flashcard software :-) ), so why don't they admit it
as a value? This is just stupid marketing expecting people to be idiots.

"Hear, write and retain knowledge by matching words to images"
How can I "write" by matching words to images?
And shouldn't I be learning to "listen"? I can "hear" any foreign language without a
single minute of study, my ears are alright.

"you’ll be sharing opinions and ideas on art, politics and culture"
How can pictures teach that? (Even though the picture showing "corruption" might be
funny)

Why I wrote this. I wanted to show David this community is not a brainwashed group of
RS haters, who only parrot what they saw somewhere else. I am surely not the only one
who tried a demo and thought about it, even though I am one of the most serious cases
of unability to write briefly. And I think it is good to appreciate the new marketing
strategy "reach to the clients, show you understand them and their complaints, answer
the questions, and try to convince them of some RS qualities from the inside of the
group." It is less stupid than the previous ones. Even though I like you log and wish
you a lot of success with your Russian, your posts on this thread look like nothing but
this kind of marketing, I'm sorry.
13 persons have voted this message useful

Steffen
Germany
Joined 4770 days ago

27 posts - 63 votes 
Studies: German*

Message 40 of 109
14 June 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I would like to add that something that has always irked me is the fact that none of
these materials make any kind of reference to a specific level of proficiency. Other than becoming
"fluent"--whatever that means--,just what will you be able to do after level 1, 2, 3 or whatever?

I have been using RS courses for Swedish, French and - to some extent - Greek and even English. In my
opinion, the programme is aimed at absolute beginners but - as is usually the case with beginners'
material - may be of some use to false beginners too. At higher levels, it also helped improving my
fluency in English, although to a lesser degree than I had hoped for.    

All five levels seem to give a well-rounded, albeit (of course!) incomplete overview of basic and
intermediate grammar (pretty much as an Assimil course does) and teach about 2000-2500 words of
vocabulary. I estimate that the complete course will get a serious learner up to level A2-B1 of the
European Reference Frame.

As for the sneering attitude many self-proclaimed language learning experts around here show towards
RS ... well, it's simply unsubstantiated. Ever since RS launched Version 4, this has become a pretty
respectable language course, which has its strong points as well as its downsides and will appeal to some
learners more than to others. Since it includes personal tuition now, it is not even overpriced anymore.

I am a bit suspicious that the OP does not mention the huge change this product underwent since the
early days of the company (years before the time, he/she allegedly worked with them). The software still
generalises language patterns, perhaps too much so, but has become much more flexible in that regard
than it used to be. Although I gave up Greek after just a few months, I found it much easier to grasp
some bits of the difficult Greek grammar with RS than, say, with the German Assimil Greek course. (I like
Assimil too, though).

Finally, I noticed that RS is not quite the undemanding, oversimplified language course for the
undiscerning masses many people here seem to think it is. Since you have to spot grammar rules (and
their exceptions!) on your own, the experience can be quite challenging and even intellectually satisfying.
If one, on the other hand, just clicks wildly and mindlessly about as if this was a video game, one will get
bored quickly and get little mileage out of it. So the course in a way mirrors its users seriousness and
impartiality.

Edited by Steffen on 14 June 2012 at 6:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 109 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version