pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4669 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 17 of 109
11 June 2012 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
David Hayter wrote:
It's clear that a group of (probably) monolingual, definitely Chomskian linguists (who
were particularly stupid and inept)

That made me laugh. And probably will make me laugh every time I see that yellow box.

David Hayter wrote:
So, if you want to learn a language with ... non SVO word order, etc. ? NO WAY.

Why do you say that? Spanish would seem to have some definite SOV elements, but I'm not over familiar with RS
beyond the free samples. I'm curious, since if I saw a used copy at a price that appealed to me I'd buy it.
1 person has voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 4990 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 18 of 109
11 June 2012 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
David Hayter wrote:
Levels 1-5 cover
about 95% of the grammar, and give you a whole lot more vocabulary in the last 2
levels. You'd be a lot closer to going for B1-2 at this point than just with 1-3.

No way. I did levels 1-5 of RS Spanish, and I would say at best it put me at A1 (maybe low A2), tops. Also, while sheer vocabulary count does not imply fluency, the fact is that even levels 1-5 probably have only 30-50% of the vocabulary of Assimil. The reason that RS is nearly universally criticized here is that it represents an opportunity loss in time/effort/money. Sure, I learned from using RS Spanish, and I am fine with that. But the fact is I could have started something like Assimil or FSI 2-3 months earlier if I hadn't done Rosetta Stone.

8 persons have voted this message useful

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5392 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 19 of 109
11 June 2012 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
I would be interested to hear David's response to Benny's review of Rosetta Stone:

Rosetta Stone review
8 persons have voted this message useful

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5403 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 22 of 109
12 June 2012 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
The first program I ever purchased was Rosetta Stone. The guy at the language shop pitched it as the
greatest thing ever and the only program I would need. After beginning with much enthusiasm it didn't take
long for me to feel disappointed and then ripped off. Not long after that, I discovered this forum and have
since used Assimil, FSI, Even Millner's podcasts and a range of others, with exiting and encouraging results
When I think back now to my Rosetta Stone experience I feel exploited.

As to that clown Benny. I think he is a thoroughly decent fellow who passes on his knowledge and experience
in good faith and is a great source of inspiration for a lot of people.
Oh, and by the way, the review the aforementioned clown's Mandarin charade by a language school in China
was quite positive.
6 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6178 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 109
12 June 2012 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
There is no place on this forum for name calling, particularly of forum members so please knock it off. (This is directed to David.)

7 persons have voted this message useful

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5403 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 24 of 109
12 June 2012 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
My previous post has no context now that the post I was responding to has been deleted.
Just to clarify, the parts about Benny were in response to a post from David Hayter. I was using his words.
Unlike Mr Hayter, I don't think Benny is a clown or his language learning experiments a charade.
I do, however, think Rosetta Stone is about as effective as playing charades.

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 109 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version