Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
109 messages over 14 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 13 14 Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5061 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 60 of 109
15 June 2012 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
One of the things I love about the forum is its usefulness to its members. This thread has ceased being useful, in my opinion, and nothing good can further come of this discussion. Let's close it.

Edited by iguanamon on 15 June 2012 at 5:01am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5403 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 61 of 109
15 June 2012 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
David Hayter wrote:
Eumaeus wrote:
David Hayter wrote:

OK, tell me that "blowsetta stone" isn't a childish and idiotic little nickname, and
I'll admit that I was wrong in telling her that she was the first person to bring the
nickname to my attention. I didn't call her a child nor an idiot, merely the term and
whoever invented it (which she didn't take credit for, and said "many people call it
this."

Again, please don't faulsely accuse me.

Furthermore, living in a free democratic society as TerryW does, he/ she/ other is free
to gender identify any
way he/she/other pleases. Judging by the profile photo though, I'd say TerryW is a
dude.

I didn't consult any photo before making the post, whoops. I don't know what I accused
you of in this post.

I'm not at all surprised that you don't know what you have accused me of. That's part of the reason you have
created such tension amongst members who've posted in this thread. You come on here and insult people to
the point where you have posts deleted, without apologizing. You make false accusations and laugh
whilst doing it, no apologies. You have accused us of only disliking RS in order be be part of some kind of
cool group, this is outrageous. When challenged on any of this, it's like hey guys c'mon I'm just trying to have
a conversation you guys need to calm down. Classic passive aggression.
As to your argument as to why RS is so good, well I can't even grasp what your argument is, but you are
hostile to, and dismissive of, anyone who doesn't like RS as if their opinions have no validity.
I don't like RS. I'm entitled to hold that view and I claim that right.

Apologies friends. I'm usually quite low key on this forum because I'm just a beginner and don't feel I have
much to contribute. But this guy has really got my dander up!

Edited by Eumaeus on 15 June 2012 at 7:30am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5403 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 62 of 109
15 June 2012 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
The following is a post from David Hayter on the Rosetta Stone facebook page. It's a straight copy and paste,
I've made no alterations.

David Hayter I just wish they said in the article, "This confirms that Rosetta Stone is how to learn a language,
and all the dweebs on howtolearnanylanguage.com need to throw out their Assimil book/cassette packs from
the '50s and get with the times." Somethin like that :)
25 May 2011 at 09:32 via Mobile · 1

He's just been mugging us off and we fell for it!

Edited by Eumaeus on 15 June 2012 at 6:59am

13 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5144 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 63 of 109
15 June 2012 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
One of the things I love about the forum is its usefulness to its members. This thread has ceased being useful, in my opinion, and nothing good can further come of this discussion. Let's close it.

Eh, let people freely choose which discussions to read and contribute to.

About Rosetta Stone, I think it can be a useful complement to your main study regimen, however the expectations it raises for casual users new to language learning are greatly exaggerated bordering on misleading, and its price is unjustified based on what you get out of the investment and the opportunity costs represented by the number and quality of competing textbooks and manuals the student could purchase for the same amount. Furthermore the terms of use of the software constitute a real abuse against its customers.

I think the most valuable aspect of Rosetta Stone is the amount of audio you get and its effortless connection with its written form, along with a solid drilling of the most basic patterns.
8 persons have voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 4990 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 64 of 109
15 June 2012 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:

Agree. The rosetta stone koolaid drinking and trollery is getting to be a bit much. Estoy harto de este tema.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 109 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version