Norway
Joined 5134 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 81 of 109
19 June 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
I find two things ironic.

The first is that every American I talk to about the fact that I am learning languages, always say: "Oh, but you must get Rosetta Stone - it is a wonderful product!" When I then ask which languages they have learned using Rosetta Stone themselves, it always turn out to be exactly zero languages.

The second thing is that I have now heard so many horror stories about Rosetta Stone, that I have asked our librarian to get me the one for Mandarin. I simply have to try this out for myself. Someone said (not in this thread though)that it was quite useful for languages who do not use our alphabet. So I'll give it a try. It is however a product which is totally unknow here, so I have waited for a month so far, and I still do not know when I am getting it.
5 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5062 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 82 of 109
19 June 2012 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
... every American I talk to about the fact that I am learning languages, always say: "Oh, but you must get Rosetta Stone - it is a wonderful product!" When I then ask which languages they have learned using Rosetta Stone themselves, it always turn out to be exactly zero languages.

RS is practically the only language learning program generally advertised on television. I've never seen an ad for Pimsleur, Assimil, Teach Yourself, Linguaphone or any other language learning related company. Their mass-market advertising is pervasive.

I get the same thing myself here on the island whenever someone hears me speaking Spanish or Portuguese- "Oh, wow! Did you use RS?" No, I didn't- shock and dismay then ensue. As if one could not learn a language any other way. Even people who know me and know how I've learned still want to fork out the money and try RS. Go figure! Here's a link to their TV adverts: Rosetta Stone 2010 US TV Spot   Rosetta Stone 2011 US TV Spot. If you were an average monolingual person and saw this marketing three or four times a week... well, that's why most Americans who have ever watched television associate RS with language learning. Never underestimate the power of marketing.

I, along with the rest of the forum, I'm sure, will look forward to your genuine, unbiased review, Christina. I trust you!

Edited by iguanamon on 19 June 2012 at 10:58pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4930 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 83 of 109
19 June 2012 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
If you were an average monolingual person and saw this marketing
three or four times a week... well, that's why most Americans who have ever watched
television associate RS with language learning. Never underestimate the power of
marketing.

TV's a pretty powerful medium, for sure. But that's not all RS uses for their
marketing. Pick up a magazine (doesn't even have to be travel-related) and you'll find
ads for them. I've even seen ads in newspapers.

Makes me think that the cost is so high not because of development, but because of
advertising.

R.
==
6 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 84 of 109
20 June 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Yep, in the UK they actually sponsor television programs on certain channels, so they
must have a huge budget for marketing.
It seems to be the only course just about everyone has heard of, along with linguaphone
strangely.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4689 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 85 of 109
20 June 2012 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Every American I talk to about the fact that I am learning
languages, always say: "Oh, but you must get Rosetta Stone - it is a wonderful product!"
When I then ask which languages they have learned using Rosetta Stone themselves, it
always turn out to be exactly zero languages.

I've had this same conversation a dozen times! A lot of my friends have actually bought
the program, and highly recommended it ... before confessing that it didn't actually
work for them. It's really the strangest thing.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 86 of 109
20 June 2012 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
It seems to be the only course just about everyone has heard of, along with linguaphone strangely.
I think in some places linguaphone might've become a common noun as a synonym of the audiolingual method? it's definitely the case with Russian.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4930 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 87 of 109
20 June 2012 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
dbag wrote:
It seems to be the only course just about everyone has
heard of, along with linguaphone strangely.
I think in some places linguaphone
might've become a common noun as a synonym of the audiolingual method? it's definitely
the case with Russian.

I only have experience with one Linguaphone course - Turkish PDQ, which was utter crap.
It had way too much silly banter between the two presenters, and didn't teach all that
much in the end. I got a lot more out of Pimsleur Turkish, frankly.

Since it's well known in Russia, how is the course actually perceived?

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 20 June 2012 at 1:10am

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5583 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 88 of 109
20 June 2012 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
I've not had that exact experience, but someone at work did once ask me what I
recommended for learning Spanish and then to my astonishment went on to answer his own
question, "Rosetta Stone, right?". I'd have loved to have seen my face about then. He
went on to try one lesson of Pimsleur (at my suggestion because he wasn't a book kind of
guy) and then stated that he couldn't spare half an hour a day every day. Oh if I had a
penny for everyone that "wants" to learn something difficult and worthwhile (doesn't have
to be a language) and then claims that they can't spare even half an hour a day...sigh.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 109 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version