Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5068 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 1 of 44
11 September 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
I've been using memrise till now, but a major drawback that it has is that as you progress, you have to exponentially review more and more. At the moment of writing this, I have more than 100 words per day to review.
Which SRS would you recommend me that overcomes this flaw?
1 person has voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4469 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 44
11 September 2012 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
The number of repetitions depends on number of new cards you are introducing per day (or per week). Even when you count on 100% retention (you know every card which comes up), the number simply grows and grows.

100 words per day to review is nothing :)

It is simple math - introducing 100 new cards a day, you would learn 3000 words in month. But it means at the same time, counting on repeat after on day, 3 days, 7 days, 14 days, 1 month etc.:
100 cards on first day, 200 cards on second and third day, 300 cards for the rest of the week, 400 cards for the rest of the month. Continuing with the same number of new cards, every further interval brings the number up by 100 (next month, 500 cards, the next 2 months 600 cards etc.)

Nothing stops it, unless you stop adding new cards, suspend some cards or abandon the deck as whole.
You won't find SRS where the math doesn't work the same way - the system is set-up like this.

And it gets worse if you leave out few days and then try to do all the missed repeats. This way, you only bring the number of repeats up for the next time.

And yes, I went through such awful number of repetitions before I grew wiser. There are some cards you can suspend (or delete completely) after the 3rd repetition, because you get the repeats in listening, reading, conversation... Not every word or sentence needs to stay.

6 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4685 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 3 of 44
11 September 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I use Anki, and the number has never been above 140, and only once above 110. If you
think it is too high, try reducing the number of new cards you add per day. Taking a
break from adding new words will also make the number of reviews to slowly decrease.

I add 10-35 words a day.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 44
11 September 2012 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
I use Anki, and I reschedule way too much... I recommend using sentence cards, they're more enjoyable to review and you don't need as many as with single words. Try including gaps (cloze deletion) if with single words you normally do L1->L2.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 5 of 44
12 September 2012 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
The way to stop your reps from getting out of hand is to delete your entire deck once in a while and start over.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4942 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 6 of 44
12 September 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
I've been using memrise till now, but a major drawback that it has is that as you progress, you have to exponentially review more and more.

I'm not familiar with the specific algorithm of memrise, but in general the number of reviews using SRS (given a constant or at least bounded rate of new cards) grows with log(time) - which is easy enough to realize when you think about it -, and not exponentially. Logarithmic growth is something like the opposite of exponential growth! The growth rate becomes arbitrarily small over time (unlike exponential growth, where the growth rate becomes arbitrarily large over time). The mere fact that something growths doesn't mean that it growths exponentially. Nobody can handle exponential growth, but logarithmic growth can very well be managed to stay in healthy bounds over finite time intervals (e.g., a few months or years).
6 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4513 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 7 of 44
12 September 2012 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
The problem with memrise (and one of the reasons I quit learning the site) is the low ceiling of 3 month max rep interval. This leads to a huge load of repetitions much too early.
Yes, you can ignore words there, but you can't reschedule. You can't add sentences. You can't add audio yourself ... and the list goes on.

Memrise as such is a great thing, but you can tell it's still a beta, much of the functionality you'd expect in 2012 (we're not 2000 anymore) is still lacking.

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4304 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 44
15 September 2012 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
The way to stop your reps from getting out of hand is to delete your entire deck once in a while and start over.

As I mentioned in another thread, I just make a new deck in Anki with the addition "_EZ" added to the existing name, and them move cards there. What is easy now might not be in the future and I would rather keep them for that possible purpose. Even with shared decks, you never know when something will disappear off the net.

Also Anki 2 allows sub-decks and sub-sub-decks etc., and thanks to the generosity of another coder, it now has the ability to collapse those in the main listing (though it does not now seem to work in the browser). So by making much smaller units, one can let reviews go and then be able to only process the reviews a little at a time, and also without new cards being added to the mix from the rest of the overall deck if there still are some.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version