344 messages over 43 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 42 43 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6400 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 145 of 344
10 December 2012 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
I finally tried out Assimil Polish. I understand pretty much everything but obviously I'd not come up with many of those sentences... I'm getting better at that "is it Polish or am I inserting Russian words?" thing, though:)

I want to listen to all the lessons before my trip to Poland, or at least all from 50 onwards. I started at the end today and listened to lessons 100, 96, 87, 50, 71 :)
1 person has voted this message useful

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4327 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 146 of 344
10 December 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
L'Allemand - lesson 28 completed.

I had to pause my experiment because of an unexpected intensive laboratory study in my
faculty. I couldn't work with assimil for 3 weeks and before I restart to continue from
the point I stopped, I revised all the past lessons, throughout the week by listening and
reading the text several times.

I was afraid of the fact that the pause would be a rupture in this process. On the
contrary, when I listenned to all the previous lessons, I realized that I remember almost
everything I learnt.

FireViN
Diglot
Brazil
missaoitaliano.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5032 days ago

196 posts - 292 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 147 of 344
10 December 2012 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
O francês sem esforço - finished lesson 7

Well, it wasn't THAT easy. Italian seems way easier for me. Pronounciation is a little tricky, but I can handle. Ortography is a complete mess, and even though I'm not writing yet (I'm simply internalizing), I'm sure I couldn't write anything properly yet. Grammar seems easy, conjugation is easy until now.

I know almost every word, which are either cognates with Italian, Portuguese or English. Reading is not really hard, but sometimes I have a hard time understanding the spoken language, that differs a lot from the other Romance languages I'm used to.

Edited by FireViN on 10 December 2012 at 2:53pm

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4435 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 148 of 344
10 December 2012 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Le Norvégien sans Peine - Lesson 12

Well it seems I'm not the only one late in here! I'm having a lot of trouble with
Norwegian. While really interesting, it's so different from the other languages that I am
learning that I feel that I don't even know fully the first lessons.. Plus I have no idea
why but the Norwegian accent from Assimil also appears to have a sporific effect on me. I
fell asleep 3-4 times while doing some of my lessons while this never happened with
Chinese.

Anyway, despite all that, I enjoy this fresh air with this new pronounciation, writing and
everything. Wen I start, I just don't want to stop studying and go on.. Because of that
feeling, I'm worried I might drop out of the experiment someday..

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4518 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 149 of 344
12 December 2012 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
O Novo Francês Sem Esforço - Leçons 15-21:

I finally got to another revision lesson!
Just like last time, I'm still noticing that the first time I listen to the audio I usually get about 60-70% of what's being said, and after repeating it some times I can get easily to 80-90% (depending on the lesson).
Lesson 20 is called "Encore en peu de révision", and it's like a mix between all the previous lessons, so I understood 95% already on the first time I listened to it.
Revision lesson 21 was quite useless, nothing new.

I've found some false cognates as well, such as "fermer" (to close), when in Italian the verb "fermare" means "to stop". Also "stylo" for "pen".

All in all, the lessons are good, fun, obviously I still don't remember every word, but I can feel the progress.

À bientôt!

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5685 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 150 of 344
12 December 2012 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
El Catalán sin esfuerzo - Lessons 22 to 28

This has been a more interesting group of lessons. Of course, they couldn't start with more complex texts, I've never complained about that. But they could bring better grammatical explanations. They could emphasize more the differences between Catalan and Spanish, but they trust that we'll assimilate it. Let's hope they are right, they must be ... :-))

The lesson about Sardanas (lesson 23) has been my favourite so far, and the poem by Salvador Espriu (lesson 26) deserves to be known.

Diversos són els homes i diverses les parles,
    i han convingut molts noms a un sol amor.

La vella i fràgil plata esdevé tarda
    parada en la claror damunt els camps.
    La terra, amb paranys de mil fines orelles,
    ha captivat els ocells de les cançons de l'aire.

Sí, comprèn-la i fes-la teva, també,
    des de les oliveres,
    l'alta i senzilla veritat de la presa veu del vent:
    "Diverses són les parles i diversos els homes,
    i convindran molts noms a un sol amor."

La pell de brau [XXX], Salvador Espriu.

Number of words and speech pace data:

Total time for groups of lessons (hours)

1 to 7 = 2.1
8 to 14 = 3.1
15 to 21 = 2.8
22 to 28 = 3.8

I would add about 1.0 hour for each group due to repetitions during commute.

Total time

1 to 28 = 15.8 hours

Edited by Flarioca on 12 December 2012 at 2:34pm

Roman
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5255 days ago

42 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French

Message 151 of 344
12 December 2012 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
sabotai wrote:
Chinese With Ease

I may be the first casualty as I'm throwing in the towel. It's gotten to the point
where it's no longer enjoyable. I feel overwhelmed by the lessons now as I'm just not
absorbing enough of each lesson to carry over to the next. Perhaps if I were
completely ignoring the characters, and only focused on listening, I'd be making more
progress. But I wouldn't want to do that anyway.

I learned what I needed to learn with this experiment. It was a great motivator to get
me to do what I had thought of doing for awhile. Good luck to every one else.

Second here...
My issues are others, but I'm more than a week without touching my NFWE :( . I can't
even open it now. But the problem is not with French or Assimil, but the person holding
the book!

I didn't give up learning French, but I'll put it on hold along with the other
languages I'm learning.
I'm going through a time of consideration of language learning, if it's worth, what
for, is it fun, etc...

Wishing good luck to every one too!

P.S.:I hope you all understood my English.

Edited by Roman on 12 December 2012 at 2:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4969 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 152 of 344
12 December 2012 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Il nuovo russo senza sforzo - Lezione 40

Well, I keep the praise for Il nuovo russo senza sforzo and I'm not suffering from burn out at all. It's great how the previous vocabulary gets revised either in lessons or in exercises. Besides, the exercises at Il nuovo russo consist mostly of small dialogues: exercise 01 = 4 sentences in a dialogue, exercise 2 = 4 more sentences at another dialogue, and so on. I haven't seen this used so extensively at Assimil and it accounts for the fact I feel more and more familiar with the language! Only the lessons are way too long for experienced language learners - sometimes there's more notes than text.

I start to think I'll end the 70 lessons of this Russo more familiar with Russian than I was with Norwegian after 100 lessons.

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version