Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC ’13: Kofoholici (Team Kofola- CZ, SK)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
148 messages over 19 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 18 19 Next >>
nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4310 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 41 of 148
01 January 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Theodisce wrote:

Které české pořady posloucháš nejraději?

Poslouchám radio Praha (www.radio.cz) v internetu. A samozřejmě mám nejraději prográm
"Zpátky si dám tenhle film" s Karlem Gottem :-). To je bez naděje s mnou, miluju toho
muže ;-).
2 persons have voted this message useful

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4310 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 

Message 42 of 148
01 January 2013 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
I have a question for those of you who are already quite advanced: How did you learn the
verbal aspect? I have to admit that I've more or less avoided it so far and just use
whatever verb comes to my mind when I try to say or write something. When I see a verb, I
can't tell at first sight if it's perfective or imperfective and there are so many
irregularities in the way the verbs change from imperfective to perfective that I haven't
had the motivation yet to have a closer look at it. Declension endings can be a nightmare
but at least the most common ones can be learnt quite quickly and it's just due to my
laziness that I haven't mastered them yet. The verbal aspect is something totally
different, though. I just don't know where and how to start to master it. Also, is it
easier for those who speak another Slavic language as their mother tongue to master the
verbal aspect in Czech or Slovak?
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6945 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 43 of 148
02 January 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
I cut my teeth in aspect with Polish and basically we were then taught as beginners to think of actions in the importance assigned to completion or not. The concept is the same in Czech and Slovak as I discovered later although the details of the aspectual pairs themselves differ. In my case I had to mind differences in prefixes or vowel changes between Polish and Slovak (and Czech)

E.g.

robić > zrobić (PL)

dělat > udělat (CZ)
robiť > urobiť (SK)

znajdować > znaleźć (PL)

nacházet / nalézat > najít / nalézt (CZ)
nachádzať (nachodiť) > nájsť (SK)

Basically if the action is thought of as complete (or if the result is what counts), then you'd use perfective (past or future). If you're emphasizing that the action is merely happening rather than its being completed (result of the action is not that important), then it's imperfective (past, present or future)

This is a simplification but as beginners it was deemed good enough for us then by our teacher. Being trained to think of actions in this way meant that after some practice I could pick the Polish verbs' correct aspectual variants about 75% of the time on the first try in spontaneous communication. It wouldn't be that different when tackling it in Czech.

There's some useful stuff on Czech aspect for beginners that's available for free

- Aspect pairs of Czech verbs (the discussion on the concept starting on page 57 may be helpful to understand the motivation for picking one aspectual variant over another)
- Czech aspect
- Czech verbs
- Verbal aspect
3 persons have voted this message useful

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4310 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 

Message 44 of 148
02 January 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for the links, Chung. I have bookmarked them and will check them out
later. Have a Czech lesson now :-)

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 45 of 148
02 January 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
nuriayasmin70 wrote:
I have a question for those of you who are already quite advanced: How did you learn the
verbal aspect? I have to admit that I've more or less avoided it so far and just use
whatever verb comes to my mind when I try to say or write something. When I see a verb, I
can't tell at first sight if it's perfective or imperfective and there are so many
irregularities in the way the verbs change from imperfective to perfective that I haven't
had the motivation yet to have a closer look at it. Declension endings can be a nightmare
but at least the most common ones can be learnt quite quickly and it's just due to my
laziness that I haven't mastered them yet. The verbal aspect is something totally
different, though. I just don't know where and how to start to master it. Also, is it
easier for those who speak another Slavic language as their mother tongue to master the
verbal aspect in Czech or Slovak?

It's definitely much easier for other Slavic language speakers to master.

I started learning it 7 years ago and have lived in the Czech Republic for nearly 5 1/2 years and still make mistakes with it. I'd say I have about a 90% success rate with it when speaking now.

I learned it alone at home. My system was to always learn both forms for each new verb, so for example for 'to read' I would learn 'číst' and 'přečíst' together.

A good book I used for learning the pairs is '401 Czech verbs'.

It took me a long time to really understand the difference, because at that time I was completely alone in my studies and didn't know about the existence of websites like this. My only method was through listening to Czechs and reading and noticing the differences.

Chung's links will probably give you a perfect overview.

Edited by hribecek on 02 January 2013 at 6:10pm

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4446 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 46 of 148
02 January 2013 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
A question to the learners of Czech:

would the majority be interested in native materials available freely online, accompanied by either transcripts or commentary from me as a native speaker?

The idea is some form of blog, with Czech and English text - the English one specially prepared for learners of Czech (Assimil like), and links to short TV spots (one idea is the "Toulavá kamera" /Camera on the road/) with complete transcript, translation and maybe a more detailed explanation for the beginners among us. I tried it with one spot (around 3 or 4 minutes). I could prepare 1-2 such spots in a month, even having other commitments.

For people interested in reading Czech literature, there is full text of Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války or the books of Karel Čapek available. Švejk has some difficult vocabulary but a lot of everyday spoken dialogue, and from Čapek I would suggest Italské listy.
Both books are written in very good language and count to the classics.

The idea is to bring native materials to people currently living outside of Czech republic.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6945 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 47 of 148
03 January 2013 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
Update for Polish, Slovak & Ukrainian

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 48 of 148
03 January 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
Majka wrote:
A question to the learners of Czech:

would the majority be interested in native materials available freely online, accompanied by either transcripts or commentary from me as a native speaker?

The idea is some form of blog, with Czech and English text - the English one specially prepared for learners of Czech (Assimil like), and links to short TV spots (one idea is the "Toulavá kamera" /Camera on the road/) with complete transcript, translation and maybe a more detailed explanation for the beginners among us. I tried it with one spot (around 3 or 4 minutes). I could prepare 1-2 such spots in a month, even having other commitments.

For people interested in reading Czech literature, there is full text of Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války or the books of Karel Čapek available. Švejk has some difficult vocabulary but a lot of everyday spoken dialogue, and from Čapek I would suggest Italské listy.
Both books are written in very good language and count to the classics.

The idea is to bring native materials to people currently living outside of Czech republic.
To zní moc dobře. Jsem pro!

This discussion contains 148 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version