Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC ’13: Kofoholici (Team Kofola- CZ, SK)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
148 messages over 19 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 18 19 Next >>
Wompi
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4746 days ago

56 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: German*, Spanish, English
Studies: Czech

Message 57 of 148
08 January 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
I also wanted to thank you all for the hard work. It will definitely help me getting better. I already overflew the article and watched part of the video and it is really nice especially the vocabulary but I still have to study it more intensively.
There were many words which I have heard for the first time (in Czech and in English :-))

Thank you again.

Edited by Wompi on 08 January 2013 at 8:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4447 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 58 of 148
08 January 2013 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Díky, Hříbečku.

Nechat část článku s překladem na později můžu, ani to nedá víc práce. Není to špatný nápad.

Může někdo mimo Českou republiku potvrdit, že to video je dostupné? Jinak přejdeme na krátké filmy z youtube.
V plánu jsou zatím články o zajímavých místech, historii, zvycích a obyčejích nebo třeba popis výroby piva.
Momentální situaci v Čechách raději nekomentuji, naučili byste se ode mě jenom nadávat. Třeba by se do toho pustila Cavesa.

Domácí úkol zkusíme příště. Jednodušší by mohl vycházet z článku, složitější z videa - nebo obráceně, podle toho jak to vyjde.

Postponing the part with translation is no problem, doesn't even mean more work. Certainly not a bad idea.

Could anybody currently outside of Czech republic confirm, that the link with video is available for all? Otherwise, we would continue with short films on youtube.
Currently on the map are articles about interesting places, history, customs or a description of beer production, for example.
I choose not to comment on the current situation in the Czech republic. It would teach you four letter words only. Maybe Cavesa would do it?

Let's try the writing assignment (homework) the next time. The simpler variant could be based on my article, the more complex one on the video (or the other way round, depending on how it goes).

To Wompi
Pár českých slov byl trochu problém i pro mě a našla se i taková, která jsem neznala.

I had myself a bit problem with few words and there were even such I didn't know.

Edited by Majka on 08 January 2013 at 8:21pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 59 of 148
08 January 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Majka wrote:
OK, I think I have all what I need ready.

Our address and the first post as well are online and running.

Please read the "Jak na to" page.

My posts will start with "Pokročilí" (Advanced). The text is the same, but the (slightly) advanced learners can read it all in Czech.
Next part is "Začátečníci". My posts there will contain a translation (right after the Czech sentence, in Assimil like manner but without tables). Feel free to lift the content and copy to Anki or whatever you wish to do with it.

The TV spot is linked at the end of each part "Pokročilí/Začátečníci" of my post and a Dropbox folder with all the files is linked as well. The folder contains the same files twice (for Word and OpenOffice/LibreOffice). Included is transcript of the TV spot, translation, a combined file (looks just like the "Začátečníci" part of the post) and vocabulary list with words I think are useful. Included are archive files as well (all the files in the one or other text format).

To Cavesa and other native speakers:
Pokud najdeš čas a budeš se chtít přidat, ozvi se. Buďto tě můžu kompletně přidat jako dalšího autora, nebo se dohodneme co a jak dál.

To advanced learners:
If anybody would find time to proofread my translations or want to make comments before I post it, feel free to contact me. I prefer advanced learners, because I want to keep the English translation understandable but (too) close to the original text.

To all of you:
Comment freely, discuss, ask :)
Give ideas what to do next - I have a draft of ideas, but nothing is set in stone.
Tell me what you would like to change, what would you like to add.

And please, someone check the docx files - I am generating the files outside of Word and didn't/couldn't check them.

I think it's a great idea and the first article was nice, informative with some humour too. I'll be looking forward to the next one. Thanks for all your hard work.

I think writing articles about relevant events like Christmas is the right way to go. Maybe when there's nothing relevant at that time, you could write about Czech hobbies and interesting things from history or interesting and current stories from the media.

Some possible ideas for you are -

Maybe adding some comprehension questions and setting short writing assignments related to the topic.

Maybe you could leave the translation part out until a couple of days after, so that people can study it for themselves and try to understand and answer any questions you might put.

Regarding the English translations, I have a couple of small corrections/alterations.

At least where I'm from, we only say "nativity (scene)" for Betlém.

The place where Jesus was born and spent his first night or however long it was supposed to be is a "manger". I never hear this word for modern meanings though, maybe it's still used in other English speaking areas.

The word for the thing from which animals eat in a barn is "trough". (koryto)

Crib is only the place where babies sleep at night.

Creche is the place where parents leave their children while their working.

Is this the same in your English (Canadian?) Chung?

I understand "trough" and "crib" in the same way, but the latter sometimes turns up as a colloquialism meaning one's own home among young men or male teenagers.

I understand "creche" (crèche?) as a model of the nativity scene. What you're referring to is called a "daycare (center)" or "childcare (center)" by me and my friends.

My English is a mashed up North American variant thanks to having spent much time on both sides of the US-Canada border (including my education). It shows traits of what outsiders think of as American or Canadian (e.g. I normally spell "colour" (thanks to an especially strict English teacher from the UK) but in the same sentence can spell "gray" - "grey" looks a little off to me even though I am aware that it's equally correct around here).

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4447 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 

Message 60 of 148
08 January 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Re jesle:
this word has in Czech several meanings

1. the "old meaning"
Look at the picture here
Only this is "jesle", "koryto" is different. In a stable, and in the nativity scene, the roof part wouldn't be there, naturally. The Czech Ježíšek is sleeping in "jesle", never in "koryto" or "žlab" (these both words would mean the trough).

2. crèche - childcare center for children under 3 years.

3. in football or similar, when the ball goes between the feet of the opposite player. In hockey, it is when goal happens when the puck passes between the feet of the goalkeeper.

Edited by Majka on 08 January 2013 at 9:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4799 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 61 of 148
08 January 2013 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Well, not writing about current situation because of the same reason. But the truth is,
that intermediate learners should learn curse words at least passively :-D

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4447 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 

Message 62 of 148
09 January 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
A new addition to "our" blog. A category named "Obtížná slova / Tricky words".

The first post in this category is simply a polished version of my last message here. Many thanks to Hříbeček for proofreading and getting the text clear.

I will try to post there everything I notice in different logs, where we get into such discussion. The idea is to have one place where such words can be collected for future reference. In logs, these posts sometimes disappear fairly quickly from the view.

The posts in category "Tricky words" won't be announced in the future. It is nothing really new. The blog has a feed, who wants can add it to their news reader.
2 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5622 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 63 of 148
09 January 2013 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
@Majka To video je dostupné tady v Anglii. Až budu mít čas budu se dívat video znovu a pracovat s textem. Děkuju za tvoji práci.

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4311 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 64 of 148
11 January 2013 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
I haven't had time to watch the video yet because I'm currently working nightshifts and our fabulous system administrator blocked our loudspeakers. However, I translated the text into German and added 30 words from it to my ANKI desk. The English translation was helpful but I first I tried to translate just from the Czech original and got about 80% right. By the way, the Czech "Ježíšek" is the German "Christkind". Well, and it would be really awesome if we continued to work with the blog.

I have one question: Is "jednoduše" the adverb for "jednoduchý" or simply another word with the same meaning?

This discussion contains 148 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version