Scotland
Joined 5924 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 81 of 177
12 April 2013 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Bardzo dziękuję!
It's great to hear that you're still going. I'd be interested to hear how your Skype conversations are going. It's something I need to consider too.

Apart from myself, yourself, Amerykanka and Chung, the bisons are ominously quiet at the moment.
What's everyone up to?

1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5924 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 82 of 177
12 April 2013 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
NEW MEMBER !!
Please put your hooves together for our latest member; Bakunin
I've added his Log to the list on page 1.

Welcome, and good luck with your studies.

Edited by Mooby on 12 April 2013 at 9:20pm

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4949 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 83 of 177
12 April 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Hi fellow bisons,

I've decided to join the team. I know it's quite late… but some seem to have dropped out already, so why not have someone drop in :)

Actually, my main language for this year's TAC is Thai. Polish will only be a side project, but I hope I'll manage to stick to a regular schedule and achieve my modest goals (below). I studied Polish for about three years a bit more than a decade ago when I was still a student at university. I think I achieved a decent level back then, but most of it has disappeared over the years. There's still a base left, though, and that's what I will be building on.

My motivation to study Polish includes: it's a neighboring country of Germany, and it's always good to speak your neighbor's language; I love the sound of it, it's a soft and beautiful language; it's a door to Eastern Europe, a region I've traveled extensively and am still somewhat interested in; I hope to be able to go biking in the Southern or Eastern border regions of Poland maybe next year or the year after, and for such a trip Polish would be very useful; I like Polish music and enjoy Polish food (on the rare occasions that I get to eat it).

My goals for this year are quite modest. I will only work on listening and reading comprehension. For a few weeks already, I've been listening to "Nasze magazyny" and "Aktualności" from Polskie radio dla zagranicy. I usually get at least the gist of the conversation and often quite a bit more. I've also ordered a number of books for young readers through polstore.de (recommended by Julie in the thread on super challenge recommendations) which should arrive very soon. Concretely, I will try to
- read three books (one per quarter), and
- listen to Polish podcasts or other media on average about 2 hours per week
Given that there are about 40 weeks left, and assuming 10-15 hours per book, this amounts to about 120 hours until the end of the year.

I'm looking forward to reading my team mates' logs and wish everyone a successful TAC 2013!

I will include updates on my progress in Polish in my TAC 2013 log; the next update should be coming this weekend.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5924 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 84 of 177
12 April 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
You made it!
Thanks for the introduction, it's good to have new blood in the herd.
I read your log and you have put in a lot of hours already this year, no lack of motivation there!
You also have clear goals for Polish, which is good, so we look forward to following you on your journey.

Pozdrawiam serdecznie.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5547 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 85 of 177
13 April 2013 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
I'm happy to see another Żubr. I still get excited over foreigners learning Polish ;).
I found something that might interest you all. Andrzej Mleczko is a widely known in Poland satirical illustrator whose work is a part of every issue of Polityka magazine.

Here are links to the online overview of his work:

Andrzej Mleczko 2012

Andrzej Mleczko 2011

Obviously some of the punch lines will be understandable only to those who keep an eye on what's going on in Polish politics (not me!) but many are quite universal. I hope you enjoy them.

Edited by pesahson on 13 April 2013 at 9:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4188 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 86 of 177
14 April 2013 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
***Embarrassingly crawls in*** I'm still alive (barely hanging on, but still trying!) My "learning" is pretty passive at the moment; very little active grammar study, and just trying to comprehend the language. It's still something! I discovered a show called "Graczykowie" and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit.

Chav
Diglot
Groupie
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4308 days ago

43 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 87 of 177
16 April 2013 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
I'm still technically going - I think - but I haven't been putting in much time due mainly to other study commitments. Hopefully I can catch up a bit when things are less hectic.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4949 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 88 of 177
17 April 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
The books I'd ordered on polstore.de have finally arrived here in Switzerland. Polstore ships to many European countries (and also seems to have operations in several of them), just in case you need to buy books. Any other good vendors?

I also have another question: what are your favorite Polish podcasts? Any recommendations? I prefer short podcasts (5-20 min), but any recommendation is appreciated. I'm currently subscribed to a few podcasts published by Polskie Radio and Tok.FM. My favorite podcast of the ones I know is Raport o stanie świata. This is a weekly discussion of about 40 minutes length covering several news topics. I find the topic selection interesting and the content quite accessible.

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version