Studies: Polish

Message 89 of 177
18 April 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
Hi Bakunin,
I sometimes listen to these:
1. tvn24 - lots of news items.
2. 7 Dzień Tygodnia - longer discussions on politics
3. A series of interviews with authors, for example: Autograf
4. Real Polish - there are some free stories to listen to, but you have to pay a subscription to access all the material.

Good luck with your studies.
By the way, what books did you get?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4941 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 90 of 177
18 April 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
Hi Bakunin,
I sometimes listen to these:
1. tvn24 - lots of news items.
2. 7 Dzień Tygodnia - longer discussions on politics
3. A series of interviews with authors, for example: Autograf
4. Real Polish - there are some free stories to listen to, but you have to pay a subscription to access all the material.

Good luck with your studies.
By the way, what books did you get?

Thanks, cool stuff. 7 Dzień Tygodnia is even available as a podcast, and tvn24 looks quite good for news.

I've started reading Tomek w tarapatach by Alfred Szklarski, a pretty old adventure story for young readers. I've just started, but so far Tomek, the main character, has decided to follow a parcel his parents have just sent to relatives in post-war Poland to make sure it doesn't get stolen by the Germans. He sneaks into the harbor and on a ship, but from the description of one of the passengers the ship is rather bound for Africa instead (Tomek doesn't yet seem to realize).

Alfred Szklarski has written a whole series about Tomek's adventures; I've bought another five of them for later (I like to read series).
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5916 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 91 of 177
18 April 2013 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
That sounds a nice book. I checked it online and discovered that it was written in 1948.
Maybe your book is different, but I have found that old classics have very dated language. For example I'm re-reading the 1936 favourite Awantura o Basię and some of the vocabulary and style is rather ornate and difficult, even though it's a children's story. I have to admit though, I'm enjoying it a lot more this time round. There is some really great humour.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5539 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 92 of 177
19 April 2013 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Another interesting series is Jeżycjada. I remember reading it as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Bakunin you may want to try ebay for Polish books, there are quite many cheap used copies, the only problem is whether the seller sends abroad.

Talking of podcasts, I'm not a learner but for many years I would listen to Klub Trójki every day. It's aired from Monday to Friday at 9.00 in the evening, each day a different topic. Last week they talked about climate change, the uprising the in Warsaw Ghetto, and books for teenagers among others.

Powieść w Trójce fragments of books read out loud by actors.

If you want to see how good your listening comprehension is Za, a nawet przeciw is a call in show. "Za, a nawet przeciw" means "For and even against". It's a phrase coined by our dear former president Lech Wałęsa.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4941 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 93 of 177
19 April 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Pesahson, thanks a lot for the recommendations. Jeżycjada sounds interesting, once I'm through my current stack of books I may turn to it. I've subscribed to Klub Trójki and Za, a nawet przeciw but haven't had a chance to listen in; they're long and maybe difficult but certainly interesting.

Mooby, maybe Szklarski uses some dated language (I can't really tell), but on the whole his style is quite accessible. I just read for pleasure and don't worry too much about individual words at this point in time. As long as I can follow and enjoy the story, I'm happy :)

Edited by Bakunin on 19 April 2013 at 4:18pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4982 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 94 of 177
20 April 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
If any of you have an iPad, iPhone, or iPod, you should check out a free app called TuneIn. I just found out
about it on another part of this forum a few days ago, and I downloaded it and there are dozens of Polish
radio stations available for free. (There are also stations in all the languages I can think of, and even in some
I had never heard of.) It is a great tool for improving listening comprehension!
3 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5539 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 

Message 95 of 177
20 April 2013 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
In interesting interview with Krzysztof Miller, one of the foremost war photographers, talking about his book where he writes about his trade and him consequently suffering from post traumatic stress. The conversation is quite casual and I think the vocabulary isn't too hard. I hope you can enjoy it.

Wywiad

Edited by pesahson on 20 April 2013 at 7:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5539 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 

Message 96 of 177
19 May 2013 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
I learned something interesting recently.
I had no idea about it but Polish past tense (wzięłam/wziąłem, zrobiłam/zrobiłem) started as past participle of the verb + auxilliry verb „być” in present tense, which looked a bit different back then. It worked like that:

(ja) wziął jeśm - (now) wziąłem

(ty) wziął jeś - wziąłeś

(on) wziął jest - wziął

(my) wziął jesmy - wzieliśmy

(wy) wziął jeście - wzieliście

(oni) wziął są - wzieli

It worked simillary for female forms. In this case the participle is „wzięła”.
In the XVI century it became one word. The „j” disappeared and so did „jest” and „są” .

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version