Duan
Canada
Joined 4607 days ago

36 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish, French

Message 170 of 177
20 December 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Hi there, just want to put my name in the hat as another interested in a Polish team for
2014. What exactly is required to get a team going? As it seems like there are a few of
us. Certainly not as many as some of the more popular languages, but I'm trying to
understand why that's a problem?
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5916 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 171 of 177
20 December 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Hi Duan,
Thanks for dropping by, it's great that you're learning Polish.

Basically, this Polish Team ('Żubr') is disbanding at the end of the year.
Even if someone is prepared to lead it, I think the momentum has shifted and TAC 2014 is upon us. I won't be participating in TAC, and there are only 2 remaining active members left. However, all is not lost since these members are in a proposed Polish-Ukrainian Team which is gaining quite a bit of interest. So my advice is to make yourself known to the guys in this new team, and tell them you'd like to join as a Polish learner.
I should stress that nothing is finalised quite yet.

To start your own team, make your proposals here (I noticed that you have already expressed your interest here). From your proposals you could devise an alternative Polish(-only) team and create it's home page. But this would be a potential rival to what is already taking shape, and although you're free to try it, it's not something I'd recommend.

So in summary:
If you strongly want to make a team, you can. But as a Polish-Ukrainian team is gaining momentum, my advice would be to join that instead.

Edited by Mooby on 20 December 2013 at 8:29pm

Duan
Canada
Joined 4607 days ago

36 posts - 48 votes
Studies: Polish, French

Message 172 of 177
20 December 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Hi Mooby,

Thanks for the explanation. I searched for a thread regarding this before I posted my
original message and I guess I must not have noticed it. Fair enough, I will head over
to the Polish/Ukrainian thread and let my interest be known :)

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5916 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 173 of 177
20 December 2013 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
That's great Duan!
There are some very experienced people on the Polish/Ukrainian team so you'll get loads of help and inspiration. All the best for your Polish studies next year!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 174 of 177
27 December 2013 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
As my study efforts in 2013 will form part of the team's "output", I will reveal in brief my plans for studying Polish.

I plan to continue working with "Polish in 4 Weeks" and at my current pace should be finished with it by the middle of the 2013. I'm not sure what I will do next be it to go for the more structured path by working through "Polski bez problemu!" or getting back into "Kiedyś wrócisz tu" or just use more authentic materials (e.g. short YouTube clips, short stories) and work on closing gaps in my knowledge of Polish with native speakers' help and independent reading of reference material as these gaps are revealed by taking in these materials.

My plan for 2012 was to involve working with DLI Polish Refresher Course - Listening Comprehension Module 1 Unit 1-40 (textbook & .mp3s) and Reading Authentic Polish I (text only), However I broke from this goal by ditching the Referesher Course (it was really tough on me to the point where I was losing motivation) quite early while my studies in other languages made me decrease my effort in Polish by the second half of the year, hence my use of Polish in 4 Weeks to maintain or review my knowledge.

Since this has been posted, I can say that I've accomplished these modest goals in that I did finish "Polish in 4 Weeks" in November and got back into "Kiedyś wrócisz tu... Gdzie nadwislanski brzeg". See here for my plans for 2014.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4941 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 175 of 177
27 December 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Not sure if you guys are interested in collocations, but in case you are, there is an excellent online resource available: the Narodowy Korpus Języka Polskiego.

For instance, a search for "książka" gives the following collocations:
książka adresowa
książka kucharska
najnowsza książka
książka ukazała
tania książka
książka zawiera
ulubiona książka
książka o
... and many more

A search for "granica" gives:
górna granica
granica biegnie
granica skręca
dolna granica
granica między
wschodnia granica
... and many more

The results are sorted by significance.

If you click on one of the results, you get additional information and examples, for instance clicking on "granica między" gives
granica między dobrem a złem
granica między sztuką a rzeczywistością
granica między życiem a śmiercią jest bardzo cienka
Zdaniem wójta Mikulicza granica między gminą Kunice a Legnicą powinna przebiegać wzdłuż potoku Wierzbiak
Granica między Tadżykistanem i Afganistanem ciągnie się przez 1,5 tys. km, wzdłuż rzek Piandż i Amu-daria
... and so on. For each of those examples, the full paragraph the expression is coming from is availabe. Note the use of "a" versus "i".

There's also Korpus Języka Polskiego Wydawnictwa Naukowego PWN which shows occurrences for all forms of a given search term (declensions, conjugations), but doesn't seem to have the powerful statistics provided by NJKP.

I personally like to play around with corpora, and in particular collocations, when I struggle with a particular word for one reason or the other. Looking at a few examples, and maybe adding them to Anki, can do wonders. Looking up, or checking, collocations is also useful when writing essays.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 176 of 177
30 December 2013 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
Update for Polish

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version