Diglot
Canada
Joined 4635 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 65 of 177
21 January 2013 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
I updated to Anki 2 and am now all confused! Oh no! I wish I could go back to Anki 1 but apparently I can't. At least
all my polish cards are intact. But it just feels less... intuitive. Did anyone else make the change?

I think it would be good if we did something, as was suggested, like writing a short text every two weeks — either a
short fiction or a comment on something, or just something very basic, all depending on every member's level in
polish — and posting it here for everyone to read and comment on. We would need to set a limit of words or lines
so that we don't flood each other with too much reading (my suggestion would be 10 lines maximum). I suggest
that we start as soon as possible.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 66 of 177
26 January 2013 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Update for BCMS/SC, Polish, Slovak and Ukrainian

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4982 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 67 of 177
26 January 2013 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Homogenik wrote:
I updated to Anki 2 and am now all confused! Oh no! I wish I could go back to Anki 1
but apparently I can't. At least all my polish cards are intact. But it just feels less... intuitive. Did anyone else
make the change?

I did and I don't really like Anki 2 either. I was completely bewildered for a long time, despite reading virtually
the entire manual. Hopefully future upgrades will make it easier to navigate!

Homogenik wrote:
I think it would be good if we did something, as was suggested, like writing a short text
every two weeks — either a short fiction or a comment on something, or just something very basic, all
depending on every member's level in polish — and posting it here for everyone to read and comment on.
We would need to set a limit of words or lines so that we don't flood each other with too much reading (my
suggestion would be 10 lines maximum).

I agree with this! I think once every two weeks is better than once per week - less pressure for us and for
Marya. Team members who want to write more can always do so in their logs. I definitely think there ought to
be a word limit - say 100 words? 150 words?

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5916 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 68 of 177
27 January 2013 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
I upgraded to Anki 2 and was totally confused. I couldn't even find my decks that were supposed to have been imported automatically. I read on the Ankiweb notepage that you can download an older version if you wish - which I did (and found my decks intact much to my relief). I think I'll stick with the old version and ignore updates for as long as I can (or is safe). I don't understand this sync-ing business either, I'm such a dimwit when it comes to computers.

I agree with the above posts.
Let's say 150 maximum words every 2 weeks from preferably all bisons
- although no-one is going to chastise those shy or timid
bisons (if that's not a contradiction) who don't manage to
write anything. Even a line or two would be welcome though.

It's nearly midnight and I can't muster a line in Polish even if you gave me
a year's supply of krówki. So my literary masterpiece will have to
wait a little longer!

MerryCrassmas
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
languagewanderlust.c
Joined 4874 days ago

62 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*
Studies: German, Russian, Czech, Polish

Message 69 of 177
30 January 2013 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
Wow I have +1000 minutes of Polish studies since the challenge began. One of the things that I have always tried to
implement to my studies is music. I found that music is an excellent way to get listening comprehension practice
and because of the power of music itself, it helps aid in memorization, thus I have memorized a two minute Polish
song with a few lines of lyrics.

The song is called 'Odnawianie Restauracji' by a band called Kult. They play rock music and have been around sine
the 80s. They play some pretty interesting music. Now I have a question. Could someone explain the lyrics a little
bit to me? For some reason I have a feeling that they might be a little inappropriate? haha. I understand the gist of it,
particularly the first four lines, but line 5 and 6 seem a little weird to me. Something about loving cars and eating
them? There is clearly something I am misunderstanding :p. BTW I am having a great deal of fun learning "language
Polish". I wish there were some Polskis at my school with whom I could practice with :) Anyway, can anyone help?

1 Ty mówiłeś mi kiedyś, że kochasz dziewczyny
2 Myślałem, że śpisz razem z nimi
3 Ty mówiłeś mi kiedyś, że nie masz przyjaciela
4 Dlaczego wygnałeś ich tak wielu?

5 Ty mówiłeś mi kiedyś, że lubisz samochody
6 Myslałem, że jesz je na obiady
7 Ty mówiłeś mi kiedyś tak wiele, wiele rzeczy
8 Dlaczego nie patrzyłeś mi w oczy?

I memorized the entire song. I find myself singing it in the cold while walking to school. Gets me pumped up :)
Maybe it shouldn't, until I understand the meaning :)

Edited by MerryCrassmas on 30 January 2013 at 7:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5539 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 70 of 177
30 January 2013 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
I don't know this particular song but Kult has a cult status in Poland. It is a really famous band. I don't know the whole song but I don't think there's anything inappropriate about it at all.

Lines 5 and 6 go: You told me once that you liked cars/I thought you had them for dinner.
I assume it's simply poetic license on the part of the author of the lyrics. It is a imaginative though but I don't think there's any cultural reference behind it. Not any I'm aware of anyway.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 71 of 177
04 February 2013 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Update for BCMS/SC, Finnish, Polish, Slovak, and Ukrainian

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 72 of 177
18 February 2013 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
Update for Polish

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version