Diglot
Austria
Joined 5904 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 57 of 101
26 June 2013 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
Ok, reading my above post feels a bit surreal right now. Why? because of the core6000.
Remember, how 4 days ago I said I still had to do 600 to finish the first 2000? Right now I have 3685 words left. That means I studied quite a lot, and without meaning to.

Seeing as this has been working so great for me recently I will tell you what happened over the past 5 days. Anki Emperor happened xD I don't know if you know this program, but it keeps track of your answers and for every answer you give you get gold, and for every time you answer "good" a new building that you constructed advances. It is pretty awesome and it really kept me motivated.

another thing that has been working great for me is the whole "kanji for breakfast"-system, or in my case: vocab for breakfast. by that I mean that I do my reviews right after I get up in the morning. I don't do all of them right away, but I do few and take breaks in between. I set the lapse time to 3 hours so I can comfortable study new words without interference of the old ones.

I also created a filtered deck for all my failed cards so I can review them more easily. I do this because I know that some new words just need to be reviewed more often and it is better in a filtered deck than in the regular deck, because I can keep studying new words and review depending on what I want.

I have also set the new card limit to 0. that way I don't have to study new cards if I don't want to. There was quite a long period of time where I didn't study new cards at all but just reviewed, and that really helps me now to focus on the new cards

Another thing I did that was very helpful was suspending cards that I had problems with. Even before they had turned into leeches there were a few that were just really annoying and I kept getting wrong. I also suspended cards with political/economical terms that I thought to be useless at the moment. Right now I have a bit over 100 suspended, but I am not to bothered by this. Once I am done with the deck I will start working on those cards.

I learn new cards in blocks of 5, because that number has proven to work best for me. I really enjoy studying new cards, and seeing as the number is limited to five, I can usually push through the 2 or 3 words that are more difficult then the rest.

I also have a question for people who have done/are currently going through core6000. does it get easier? because I remember when I studied the first few cards after the core2000 I was a bit overwhelmed by all the new reading. but right now, I usually know the reading of at least one of the kanji (if the word is a compound) and sometimes even know the whole word. so does it get easier or is that just those first few cards luring you in? ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4972 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 58 of 101
27 June 2013 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
I just found your log... I think. Anyway I hope to get email notifications going
forward to stay on top of it. Did you just learn 1000 new words in 4 days? What? I am
going to have to find out more about this anti emperor thing. Even if the reviews
kill you I'm impressed that you had fun getting through that many words in the first
place.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5904 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 59 of 101
27 June 2013 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
I hope that my log can be useful for you :)

It seems like I might have, I honestly didn't even have a daily goal or anything but I just decided to do a few new words every now and then. I think the fact that I only do 5 new words per "set" really helps. because even if I don't know any of them, and they have really difficult reading (shi, shu, shuu, and things like that. I HATE these type of words) I can "push through" and take a break afterwards. and sometimes I know a lot of the words already, can guess their reading and/or reading or there are a few katakana words and I'm just:"oh, that was easy, I think I want to do another set." and that's how they add up at the end of the day.

reviews are still going really will with over 80% cards answered correctly. :) another thing that really helps me is the fact that I discovered filtered decks. basically what I do is this: I review everything once in the morning, and take breaks if I need too. then, once I am done with the reviews I create a filtered deck for cards I forgot that day. the deck is set to 1 minute and end (so that they go back to the original deck) I have the rescheduling feature unchecked so I will review those cards again tomorrow. that way, I do more or less the same thing I would have done in my "original deck" aka get over the cards until I know them, except now I can use the original deck to study new cards without interference of the old ones.

as far as reviews are concerned, I seem to be pretty fast. over the past few days I haven't spent more than 100 minutes on anki including reviews and everything. mind you, I don't know what will happen once reviews pile up, but right now I finish my 350 reviews in around 30 minutes. I also don't know if I will actually be able to remember the cards in say two weeks or a month. I guess we will see what happens.

kraemder
Joined 4972 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 60 of 101
27 June 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Haha I thought I might have mistaken something. Yeah
I've tried decreasing the size of the sets down to 7
and I found that helped me a lot. At the time I think
I was struggling to use the defaults of say 20 that
the flash card author felt appropriate. I might try
decreasing them again since you're liking it. I
currently have it set to 15 for reviews and 10 for new
cards.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 61 of 101
28 June 2013 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
That is some serious Anki reviewing! I could never get through the Core series. I prefer making my own cards.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5904 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 62 of 101
09 July 2013 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Things haven't been going the way I wanted them to. It all started when my brother got married the weekend before last and I wasn't able to catch up with my reviews. a bit over a week later, I am 1000 reviews behind. oops. :X

Mind you, I had my last few exams and my boyfriend had the week off last week so I really really wasn't feeling like doing anki at all. However, things are looking up now. Summer break has started and I will have the whole summer to devote to my Japanese studies. I still have two papers to write but I will (hopefully) finish one by the end of today, or at least by Friday. xD The other one is due at the end of July.

I have ordered a few manga from yesasia about 3 weeks ago so they should be arriving here really soon. In addition to that I ordered my first Japanese game. It is the new Atelier game Escha & Logy and it was just recently released in Japan. It looks really awesome and I have played two of the Atelier games already and I really love them. From what I have seen on youtube and read about in forums I think that I will be able to at least get by with my current Japanese level. The game will arrive at the end of July so I hope I will get some more studying done until then.

Today I will mostly try to catch up with my backlog, doing a few reviews here and there. I want to study at least 5 new words today because I haven't done so in a while. My goal is to finish the Core6k by the beginning of October whch would mean around 40 new cards per day. We will see how that goes, right now I am mostly trying to get back into the anki groove :)

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5904 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 63 of 101
10 July 2013 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
After doing over 1500 reviews yesterday I am all caught up :) I even managed to study about 40 new words or so. I am really really happy about that. Right now my main focus is on the kanji readings, but I have noticed that I still need to work on my understanding skills. That is to say, I might know the reading but still not fully understand the meaning of the word without looking at the translation. Right now I just want to get through the 6000 cards. Knowing the kanji meanings through Heisig and being exposed to so many new terms with the same kanji really helps to give me a better understanding of the meaning. I might not fully understand everything yet, but I trust that through exposure via anki as well as native material, I will get there.

My manga arrived yesterday and I already took a peak. I cannot wait to start reading them, but first I need to work on my paper for a bit. :)

kraemder
Joined 4972 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 64 of 101
10 July 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Omg you just made me think that you have a chance at your really really challenging goal of getting through
the six thousand by mid fall. Good luck.

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version