Austria
Joined 5898 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 97 of 101
15 February 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Half time :)

Reading is going well, even though it's going rather slowly. I think I can work better if I have a fixed schedule, the way it is now I often don't do as much as I could. I really need to take say an hour a day to dedicate to reading. So far, this hasn't happened yet. All in all I managed to finish two cellphone novels this month. One of them being the one I started last month. 1010 pages. It's insane and to be honest, the last 200 pages or so really started to drag. I guess there's only so much "will they won't they" to go through until I have had enough. Also: so many cliches. xD It was overall still a very enjoyable read though. The other book I read was rather short in overall pages as well as amount of words per page. It was a quick read but kind of meh.
Since it was called 赤い糸 (not the one that was made into a drama) I had expected more.
Overall I managed to read 721 pages so far (242 of which were from the shorter one) which means about 51 pages on average.

I am still working on my LWT anki deck and I still really like it. I did edit it a bit though because I now included the audiofiles for the target word using Rikaisama. I feel like I remember a word better if I also hear it so I hope that will help with remembering. After 5 days I am 133 words in (even though I haven't studied new ones today). The text is use for LWT is the text I am reading right now. Readingwise I am on page 131 and LWT-wise I am only on page 15 or so. I am surprised that I still see quite a few of the words I am anking while reading. I forget a lot more readings then I did with core but I think it is due to the fact that core was sorted so the same readings would pop up over and over again. I try not to be discouraged by that though.

What I need to work on is listening. Other then watching one drama this season I am not really getting any Japanese audio input so I need to work on that.

Edited by Hasi on 15 February 2014 at 1:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4414 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 98 of 101
15 February 2014 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Your reading skills are way too incredible. But that's really good as it only makes me
want to read more!

For listening, if you have trouble watching stuff for long or never time to watch a movie
or long drama, have you ever thought of 朝ドラ (or Morning Drama as you certainly
guessed)? It's dramas that have 15-minute episodes and go on for about half a year (156
episodes for the one I'm watching). It's not incredible but quite practical for right
before bed or early in the morning.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5898 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 99 of 101
15 February 2014 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't see I am incredible since those "novels" are super easy to read since they are so predictable. They are enjoyable though. xD

I have actually started watching ごちそうさん but I had to quit after a few episodes because I always felt so hungry. I think I might have to try another one as I do sometimes tend to get distracted when watching longer shows. (it might also be that I seem to have watched all the "good" ones already.) Is there anything that you could recommend?

Also: if people who are into variety shows, I just found a great dailymotion channel that seems to upload a lot of shows. Sadly youku is taking forever to load so I am glad I found this.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5898 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 100 of 101
18 February 2014 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
I am adding "watch 20 minutes per day" to my daily to-do-list.
I can't believe I haven't looked into dailymotion too much up until a few days ago.
I HIGHLY recommend this website and I will also update my resource post soon. I have found about 3 or 4 channels that more or less cover all my JTV needs. You can't only find variety shows though but also dramas and the quality is really good.

For AKB fans
For variety shows
A bit of everything, updates often
Previous channel of above user, older (last year) shows

Shows I have seen and liked:
有吉ゼミ (video clips of various celebrities) Easy to understand
おしゃれイズム (interview)
VS嵐 (game show) Enjoyable even if don't have a high Japanese level yet
脱出ゲーム DERO!(game show) Enjoyable even if don't have a high Japanese level yet

I hope these links will be useful for you because they have been very useful for me. Thanks to these links I have been able to immerse myself more because it doesn't take me forever to find something useful to watch.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5898 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 101 of 101
07 March 2014 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Just a short updated from me:
Classes have started again and I am already swampped with work so I haven't really done as much as I wanted to.

I did managed to read 1010 pages during February and 1266 minutes of Japanese in 11 days. So far I have been doing the bare minimum in March:
read 10 pages each day
watch 20 minutes of Japanese film
review my decks and add 5 new vocab cards

I have started with a Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate/Advance Japanese anki deck and I am working through this at around 20ish new cards per day. I really like it so far and I like the book as I whole a lot. I have also started the Tae Kim deck but I think I like the other one better because the book does a better job explaining the differences between various grammar points.

Other than that I haven't done much. I want to continue doing the above mentioned steps daily and I want to do more once next week (with 2 exams and one assigment evaluation) is over.

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version