tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 25 of 64
31 July 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
mezzofanti wrote:
I don't understand how people can not get plenty of exercise.

It's not just the negative effect on your physical well-being but your brain
functioning
properly depends on it.

Put the books down, get off the computer and hit the gym. You'll have far better
learning
results if you do.

I don't hit the gym. Ever. I prefer doing things: hiking, paddling, cycling, working
outside. I also walk for over an hour every day. Honestly, I think that - compared to
the average person - I'm probably more physically active than most. It's just that I
went from an on-my-feet-all-day job to sitting for hours every day. And I don't like it
at all.

I wasn't really looking for advice on getting more exercise outside of my studying,
although that might not have been clear from the original post. I was looking for ways
to make language learning itself less sedentary - and I got some great ideas here! I
especially love the ideas of rigging up a standing desk or a treaddesk, and using audio
while on the move!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 26 of 64
31 July 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
How can people not do much exercise/sports?
Very easily. All you need is a lot of bad memories tied to sports, eventually a health problem lasting over a year to break the few good habits you have. :-D Or a kind of health trouble (staying with you forever) that reduces your choices to just a handful.

Really, I dislike the dogma "sport is awesome and fun and you are just lazy and would love it if only you put away your useless hobbies and tried and your life is much less worth because you don't love sport". Sure, laziness is smaller or larger part of the trouble nearly always but there are more things. The path to finding sport or kind of exercise you like may be long, just as finding your taste in music or books or finding out what do you want to do for living. Hell, it took me over 20 years of my life to find sport/exercise activities that would make me trully excited and looking forward to more every time. (And listening to foreign music is part of the fun. It is not active learning but just a small and pleasant piece of immersion.)

Stelle, I wish you a lot of success with this transition. One more thing that I remembered: how often do you make pauses? For exemple the pomodoro technique is based on working for 25 minutes and than having 5 minutes exactly to stretch your legs, walk to the kitchen for some tea and so on (and around 15 minutes after every four pomodoros). Of course, the times can be adjusted to your needs. Perhaps maintaining such set times for getting some movement might help you as well.
4 persons have voted this message useful

mezzofanti
Octoglot
Australia
mezzoguild.com
Joined 4558 days ago

51 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Arabic (Egyptian), Irish, Arabic (Levantine)
Studies: Korean, Georgian, French

Message 27 of 64
01 August 2013 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
I was looking for ways
to make language learning itself less sedentary...

The point of me saying that you should take a break from the books/computer and get some
exercise is that by doing so, your learning time won't feel so sedentary (plus it's
better for you anyway).

Cavesa wrote:
...your life is much less worth because you don't love sport.

I never said or would agree with anything of the sort.

The point I'm making is that this "sedentary" feeling is most likely coming from spending
hours sitting in front of a screen. At the very least, take your learning material to the
park.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 28 of 64
02 August 2013 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
mezzofanti, as you are so in favour of science, did you read about how long periods of
inactivity like watching TV are tied to cardiovascular disease even in people who get the
recommended time and intensity of exercise, and the conclusion that it probably is better
to go back and forth between higher and lower levels of activity than to remain active or
inactive for hours at a time?
:)
3 persons have voted this message useful

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6170 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 29 of 64
02 August 2013 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
mezzofanti wrote:
Josquin wrote:
I don't do any sports. My brain is still functioning
quite well though.

I guess science must be wrong about the importance of exercise then.

At least it's being exaggerated a lot...

I agree, I think the benefit of high intensity exercise is being exaggerated a lot, and the benefit of good sleep
and relaxation understated a lot. Nowadays in the Western world it's like if you don't jog 10km a day or hit the
gym you're a lazy slug. I have friends that sacrifice sleep just to get up real early and hit the gym or whatever.
This is nuts and your health will eventually suffer from it
4 persons have voted this message useful

overscore
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4373 days ago

23 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: French*, English, German

Message 30 of 64
02 August 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
From experience, the "outgoing, fun smiley" people always have crappy foreign language skills, if any at all. It takes
a great deal of time sitting down with the books to acquire a large vocabulary in a foreign language. Corollary,
people with attention spans of 30 seconds have trouble with vocab.

At least that's what I have observed. Couch surfing types always surrounded by native speakers, can't speak the
language worth crap and act surprised when you bust out a "rare word".

Anyway, It's good to be social, IMO it's just a bit useless to develop foreign language competency.
The good old input/output war yet again

Edited by overscore on 02 August 2013 at 6:46pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 31 of 64
02 August 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
... and the conclusion that it probably is better to go back and forth
between higher and lower levels of activity than to remain active or inactive for hours
at a time?

Absolutely.

It seems that a few here are equating sports to be the opposite of a sedentary
lifestyle. It's not. Physical activity is.

There's just as much benefit from getting way from a desk and going for a walk for a
half hour, an hour, as there is doing any other physical activity. There's no reason
you can't also do something physical AND study, or at the very least, review
simultaneously.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 02 August 2013 at 7:13pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 32 of 64
02 August 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
overscore wrote:
From experience, the "outgoing, fun smiley" people always have
crappy foreign language skills, if any at all. [...snip...]

Anyway, It's good to be social, IMO it's just a bit useless to develop foreign language
competency.
The good old input/output war yet again

I think this is a bit unfair! I know plenty of "outgoing, fun smiley people" who do
very well when learning languages. I consider myself a relatively upbeat and outgoing
person, and I don't think that in any way correlates to having "crappy foreign language
skills". Many of my outgoing students do very well, especially in conversation classes.

That said, I'm not sure what being outgoing has to do with being physically active. Are
you suggesting that sedentary is the opposite of outgoing?

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version