Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
64 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 8 Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5074 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 41 of 64
03 August 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
And to think, the OP was just looking for some advice to help herself be more active during language learning! She wasn't looking to debate the matter or discuss the merits of introvert vs extrovert. Posters, it isn't always about you.
5 persons have voted this message useful

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6172 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 42 of 64
03 August 2013 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
Well my tip would be to get an Iphone. There are thousands of hours of free Podcasts in the major languages
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 43 of 64
04 August 2013 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
mezzofanti wrote:
overscore wrote:
"Couch surfing types always surrounded by native speakers, can't speak the
language worth crap..."

"It's good to be social, IMO it's just a bit useless to develop foreign language competency."

Sounds like you're a very bitter, lonely person. I hope no one else on this forum agrees that
being social and surrounded by native speakers is useless like you do.

Better hit those books, mate. Lots of vocab and conjugation lists to memorize! While you're
doing that, I'll be out meeting gorgeous Korean girls tonight while practising my Korean.

Good luck!
I'm sure most people agree that there are people who get nothing out of being surrounded by native speakers.

Also, sexist remark is sexist.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 64
04 August 2013 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
And the main downside of being social is that unless you grow up multilingual, you are used to being social in your native language. It's harder to change the language of your socialization than of the media you consume. It's even harder (and often impossible) to change the language of your existing relationships with people. One might also feel less comfortable socializing in an L2, sometimes without objective reasons.

Even being in the country of your target language is no guarantee, btw. I know an outgoing Ukrainian guy who lives in Germany and has been unable to build any meaningful friendships with native speakers, which has hindered his language learning.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5578 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 45 of 64
04 August 2013 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Re: outgoing or not
it probably depends on whether a person's extravertedness relies mostly on their native culture socialization, whether they play by rules they've internalized and don't even realize how they do that; or whether they simply tend to adapt to new situations quickly.

re: sedentary habits
... I don't know how to explain it but the more I concentrate on difficult content the more I feel like I have to move about, take small breaks, get something to drink, etc so I can process and recharge before continuing. moving about makes the concentration more bearable, and concentrating that much forces me out of my comfort zone? that kind of thing.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4256 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 46 of 64
06 August 2013 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
Obviously joining social clubs where native speakers hangout is 1 of the better ways of
learning languages. On the other hand I've tried taking a iPad type device into the gym
and while doing the treadmill in a moderate quick walk setting play videos of a foreign
language. When you are exercising in simple repetitive motion, you don't need much
concentration so even watching a foreign film while you are on your exercise bike for
half-hour or longer isn't a big deal.

Just have to be practical since you can't always be with people or find people who are
available when your schedule is free.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 47 of 64
06 August 2013 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Another idea: It helped me both with my languages and my time management (and sedentary time reduction), when I moved 99% of my sedentary fun time activities to my target languages. Books, movies, computer games and so on are all nice things to pass your free time and recharge but once you get a job on computer (or quite any kind of university studies) and language learning and such ways to relax during your free time, it is really a lot. So, since I cannot imagine my life without books (and many other such things), I just do it in other languages and therefore don't need to increase the amount of time spent sitting or lying.

And another thing about the back pains from spending your time on a chair: there are many websites with good exercises to put in between sitting. It's just a few minutes of stretching to put in between your work or studies here and there but it can be very helpful.

And a good quality ergonomic chair does miracles too :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3956 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 48 of 64
08 August 2013 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks again for all of the new suggestions! I think that I'm also going to get a
platform to put on my desk, so that I can work standing up.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version