Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 33 of 64
03 August 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
overscore wrote:
From experience, the "outgoing, fun smiley" people always have
crappy foreign language skills, if any at all. [...snip...]

Anyway, It's good to be social, IMO it's just a bit useless to develop foreign language
competency.
The good old input/output war yet again

I think this is a bit unfair! I know plenty of "outgoing, fun smiley people" who do
very well when learning languages. I consider myself a relatively upbeat and outgoing
person, and I don't think that in any way correlates to having "crappy foreign language
skills". Many of my outgoing students do very well, especially in conversation classes.

That said, I'm not sure what being outgoing has to do with being physically active. Are
you suggesting that sedentary is the opposite of outgoing?

Perhaps the thought behind it was that you have to be a bit of an extrovert to go out jogging, etc. That may perhaps have been true 20 or 30
years ago or more, but nowadays, it's unusual not to encounter people out jogging somewhere or other on the streets, so one
individual more or less out there pounding the pavement is hardly going to be noticed.
1 person has voted this message useful

mezzofanti
Octoglot
Australia
mezzoguild.com
Joined 4559 days ago

51 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Arabic (Egyptian), Irish, Arabic (Levantine)
Studies: Korean, Georgian, French

Message 34 of 64
03 August 2013 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
overscore wrote:
From experience, the "outgoing, fun smiley" people always have crappy foreign
language skills, if any at all. It takes
a great deal of time sitting down with the books to acquire a large vocabulary in a foreign
language. Corollary,
people with attention spans of 30 seconds have trouble with vocab.

At least that's what I have observed. Couch surfing types always surrounded by native speakers,
can't speak the
language worth crap and act surprised when you bust out a "rare word".

Anyway, It's good to be social, IMO it's just a bit useless to develop foreign language
competency.
The good old input/output war yet again

Is this a joke?

Attitudes like yours make me wonder whether or not I wasted money on a premium membership for
this forum.

People like you measure their learning success by how much theoretical grammar and "rare words"
they've memorized.

We "fun, smiley" people on the other hand measure our learning success by the global
relationships we make, the adventures we have and the cultural experiences you will never have
any idea of.

Funny how a simple discussion about the importance of physical exercise to one's mental well-
being degenerates into jealous, defensive and insecure attacks on those of us who aren't
socially inept.

overscore wrote:
"Couch surfing types always surrounded by native speakers, can't speak the
language worth crap..."

"It's good to be social, IMO it's just a bit useless to develop foreign language competency."

Sounds like you're a very bitter, lonely person. I hope no one else on this forum agrees that
being social and surrounded by native speakers is useless like you do.

Better hit those books, mate. Lots of vocab and conjugation lists to memorize! While you're
doing that, I'll be out meeting gorgeous Korean girls tonight while practising my Korean.

Good luck!

Stelle wrote:
I think this is a bit unfair! I know plenty of "outgoing, fun smiley people" who
do
very well when learning languages. I consider myself a relatively upbeat and outgoing
person, and I don't think that in any way correlates to having "crappy foreign language
skills". Many of my outgoing students do very well, especially in conversation classes.

That said, I'm not sure what being outgoing has to do with being physically active. Are
you suggesting that sedentary is the opposite of outgoing?

Agreed! :)
7 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4064 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 35 of 64
03 August 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
overscore wrote:
From experience, the "outgoing, fun smiley" people = people with attention spans of 30 seconds have trouble with vocab.

This is what it seems like you're saying here, and it's pretty weird. I don't know if this was your intention but it certainly came out that way.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 36 of 64
03 August 2013 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
mezzofanti wrote:
Is this a joke?

Attitudes like yours make me wonder whether or not I wasted money on a premium embership for this forum.

Attitudes like yours made me unfollow your blog.

Quote:
People like you measure their learning success by how much theoretical grammar and "rare words" they've memorized.

What's wrong about that?

Quote:
We "fun, smiley" people on the other hand measure our learning success by the global relationships we make, the adventures we have and the cultural experiences you will never have any idea of.

Well, that's nice for you, but I don't think everybody has to share your goals in language learning. I'm learning Russian in order to be able to read Russian literature not to make 100 friends in Petersburg and 200 in Moscow.

Quote:
Funny how a simple discussion about the importance of physical exercise to one's mental well-being degenerates into jealous, defensive and insecure attacks on those of us who aren't socially inept.

Funny how a simple contradiction to your opinion makes you become aggressive, obnoxious, and arrogant. I didn't like overscore's post, but I liked yours even less!

Quote:
Sounds like you're a very bitter, lonely person. I hope no one else on this forum agrees that being social and surrounded by native speakers is useless like you do.

Better hit those books, mate. Lots of vocab and conjugation lists to memorize! While you're doing that, I'll be out meeting gorgeous Korean girls tonight while practising my Korean.

I don't know why extrovert people always think they're better than introverts only because they have lots of superficial "friends" and "social relations", for which an introvert doesn't even have the need. And I certainly don't think it's fair to be that judgemental about people who are simply different from you.

Everybody hasn't got to be out-going and extrovert and hitting the gym every other night. Ever thought about diversity and how being different is what people makes the same? I really liked your blog until now, but as you revealed your true face in this thread I don't think I want to read it any more.

Edited by Josquin on 03 August 2013 at 1:23pm

mezzofanti
Octoglot
Australia
mezzoguild.com
Joined 4559 days ago

51 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Arabic (Egyptian), Irish, Arabic (Levantine)
Studies: Korean, Georgian, French

Message 37 of 64
03 August 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Attitudes like yours made me unfollow your blog.

If that makes you feel better.

Quote:
People like you measure their learning success by how much theoretical grammar and "rare words" they've memorized.

Josquin wrote:
What's wrong about that?

Not necessarily anything wrong with it but I don't see how they can compare their accomplishments to those of us who do learn languages for social
interaction (the main reason why most people learn a foreign language).

This guy was the one on the attack saying that those of us who socialize are "crap" at learning languages which is complete nonsense. The evidence would
prove otherwise.

Quote:
We "fun, smiley" people on the other hand measure our learning success by the global relationships we make, the adventures we have and the cultural
experiences you will never have any idea of.

Josquin wrote:
Well, that's nice for you, but I don't think everybody has to share your goals in language learning. I'm learning Russian in order to be
able to read Russian literature not to make 100 friends in Petersburg and 200 in Moscow.

I don't disagree with you.

As someone learning Russian for the purpose of reading, you wouldn't have the right to turn around and criticize a Russian learner who doesn't care about
literature but is more interested in making Russian friends.

You might be an excellent reader but it says nothing about your speaking skills and the same can also be said for a guy who has poor reading skills but
excellent speaking skills.

Quote:
Funny how a simple discussion about the importance of physical exercise to one's mental well-being degenerates into jealous, defensive and insecure
attacks on those of us who aren't socially inept.

Josquin wrote:
Funny how a simple contradiction to your opinion makes you become aggressive, obnoxious, and arrogant. I didn't like overscore's post, but
I liked yours even less!

I am aggressive and obnoxious when the need arises but calling me arrogant is an insult.

Quote:
Sounds like you're a very bitter, lonely person. I hope no one else on this forum agrees that being social and surrounded by native speakers is
useless like you do.
Better hit those books, mate. Lots of vocab and conjugation lists to memorize! While you're doing that, I'll be out meeting gorgeous Korean girls tonight
while practising my Korean.

Josquin wrote:
I don't know why extrovert people always think they're better than introverts only because they have lots of superficial "friends" and
"social relations", for which an introvert doesn't even have the need. And I certainly don't think it's fair to be that judgemental about people who are
simply different from you.

Everybody hasn't got to be out-going and extrovert and hitting the gym every other night. Ever thought about diversity and how being different is what
people makes the same? I really liked your blog until now, but as you revealed your true face in this thread I don't think I want to read it any more.

Who says I'm an extrovert or that I think I'm better than anyone else? I'm very much an introvert and I don't believe anyone's better than anybody. You
can be introverted and still be good at meeting people.

I also don't keep "superficial" friends. I meet many people on my travels but I choose my friends very carefully.

I responded to a completely uninvited attack by a faceless internet troll on people who learn languages through social interaction (in a thread that has
nothing do with that topic mind you). I will judge idiotic comments by people like that and I make no apologies for doing so.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 38 of 64
03 August 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Well, I do apologize for calling you arrogant, but obviously your post was mistakable, so it just pulled a trigger in me. Thanks for clearing up that misunderstanding!

Maybe, it's now time to get back to the original topic of this thread.
2 persons have voted this message useful

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6171 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 39 of 64
03 August 2013 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Maybe you could try to chill down a little Mezzofanti. Practice those social skills of yours...

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4064 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 40 of 64
03 August 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
It's no help if you're slashing at people. The guys explained themselves, what do you need to intentionally agitate others for?

Just relax people. We're all on the same side here.

Edited by Henkkles on 03 August 2013 at 6:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version