Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 137 of 299
22 October 2013 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
The biggest misconception with what gets called a language seems to be that you're
supposed to understand perfectly all of the dialectal variants it has, which is simply not true. Knowing a language
doesn't mean that you understand all dialects perfectly if you haven't gotten used to them. The thing with Quebec
French is that a French speaker (and many others) can look at French from France and French from Quebec and
make note of what makes them French; what makes them two dialects of the same language rather than two
separate languages. One good indicator whether two people are speaking the same language is whether code-
switching occurs. Do Quebecois French speakers and French speakers from France understand each other after
getting used to each other's vernacular for, say, one day, or do they need to use a different code for the
conduct? Individual words being weird doesn't count.

I'm not sure that code-switching is the right term here. When people of different dialects meet, there is usually
some form of linguistic accomodation. Both parties are aware that not everybody has the same frame of semantic
references, so they will tend to modify certain aspects of their speaking - vocabulary and even pronunciation -to
make things easier for the other persons.

There is also the fundamental question of how well to speakers of the so-called same language but from
different countries and cultures really understand each other. It's not just a question of getting used to the
accent, It's more about culture, history, geography, etc. I question how well a Spaniard who has never lived in
Mexico can really understand a conversation between two Mexicans.

I'm not arguing that Quebec French and French French or Mexican Spanish and Castillian Spanish are different
languages, although some people do make this argument. It's just that mutual intelligibility is not that simple.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 138 of 299
22 October 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
[QUOTE=Henkkles] I question how well a Spaniard who has never lived in

Given that I, who is not even Spanish, have little to no problems understanding a Mexican, a Cuban or someone from Ecuador, I feel pretty certain that most Spaniards would too.

There are always some different words for the same things, or words for things you do not know from one country to another. Coche and ordenador, is carro and computadora in Peruvian, coger is inoffensive in Spain, but not a word I would use lightly with an Argentinian, and in Latin America there are heaps of fruits that I do not know from Spain - but I could not really say that this hinders understanding. I would rather have any Latin_American dialect you could throw at me, than try to read or understand spoken Vågå-dialect (middle of Norway, from the valley of Gudbrandsdalen). THAT is something which I cringe when I am exposed to. And there is no doubt that it is Norwegian... It just sounds like it is Martian :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 139 of 299
22 October 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
s_allard wrote:
[QUOTE=Henkkles] I question how well a Spaniard who has never
lived in

Given that I, who is not even Spanish, have little to no problems understanding a Mexican, a Cuban or someone
from Ecuador, I feel pretty certain that most Spaniards would too.

There are always some different words for the same things, or words for things you do not know from one
country to another. Coche and ordenador, is carro and computadora in Peruvian, coger is inoffensive in Spain, but
not a word I would use lightly with an Argentinian, and in Latin America there are heaps of fruits that I do not
know from Spain - but I could not really say that this hinders understanding. I would rather have any
Latin_American dialect you could throw at me, than try to read or understand spoken Vågå-dialect (middle of
Norway, from the valley of Gudbrandsdalen). THAT is something which I cringe when I am exposed to. And there
is no doubt that it is Norwegian... It just sounds like it is Martian :-)

Note that I said "between two Mexicans.".I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but the point I want to
emphasize here is that it's not a problem of sounds or even dialectalal words here or there. It's more an issue of
"what" they are referring to explicitly or implicitly. We all do this in our respective languages. When we talk to
other native speakers, we can assume a common knowledge of many things. For example, we'll refer to the
names of certain stores, supermarkets, drugstores, department stores, etc. We'll use abbreviations and
contractions.   The name of the neighbourhood where I was born or live evokes certain associations. The school
you attended says something about your background. Names of politicians, political parties, celebrities, the titles
of popular songs, all of these things have certain meanings.

I think that the Spaniard who has spent a few years in Mexico will much better "understand" our two Mexicans
than will the Spaniard who has never been to Mexico.

I remember a dinner here in Montreal where I was chatting with an Englishman when he suddenly realized that
the fellow across the table was also from the same part of England. When they started chatting, I could hardly
believe my ears. Their accents changed, their rate of talking speeded up and, above all, I couldn't follow what
they were talking about.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4416 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 140 of 299
22 October 2013 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Some people say that Scots is a language in its own right while others maintain it is merely a heavy dialect of English. The waters are muddied by the fact that few people today actually speak the auld Scots of the past. Most Scottish people use Scottish English when talking to each other, which is a dialect albeit one peppered liberally with traditional Scots vocabulary and terms.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 141 of 299
22 October 2013 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
s_allard wrote:
[QUOTE=Henkkles] I question how well a Spaniard who has never
lived in

Given that I, who is not even Spanish, have little to no problems understanding a Mexican, a Cuban or someone
from Ecuador, I feel pretty certain that most Spaniards would too.

There are always some different words for the same things, or words for things you do not know from one
country to another. Coche and ordenador, is carro and computadora in Peruvian, coger is inoffensive in Spain, but
not a word I would use lightly with an Argentinian, and in Latin America there are heaps of fruits that I do not
know from Spain - but I could not really say that this hinders understanding. I would rather have any
Latin_American dialect you could throw at me, than try to read or understand spoken Vågå-dialect (middle of
Norway, from the valley of Gudbrandsdalen). THAT is something which I cringe when I am exposed to. And there
is no doubt that it is Norwegian... It just sounds like it is Martian :-)

Note that I said "between two Mexicans.".I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but the point I want to
emphasize here is that it's not a problem of sounds or even dialectalal words here or there. It's more an issue of
"what" they are referring to explicitly or implicitly. We all do this in our respective languages. When we talk to
other native speakers, we can assume a common knowledge of many things. For example, we'll refer to the
names of certain stores, supermarkets, drugstores, department stores, etc. We'll use abbreviations and
contractions.   The name of the neighbourhood where I was born or live evokes certain associations. The school
you attended says something about your background. Names of politicians, political parties, celebrities, the titles
of popular songs, all of these things have certain meanings.

I think that the Spaniard who has spent a few years in Mexico will much better "understand" our two Mexicans
than will the Spaniard who has never been to Mexico.

I remember a dinner here in Montreal where I was chatting with an Englishman when he suddenly realized that
the fellow across the table was also from the same part of England. When they started chatting, I could hardly
believe my ears. Their accents changed, their rate of talking speeded up and, above all, I couldn't follow what
they were talking about.

I do admit that any language spoken between two native speakers of a determinate group can be extremely difficult to understand. When I needed to learn to drive again 8 years ago, all the other pupils were 18 years old boys, and to my great surprise, I could hardly understand what they were saying. They spoke so fast, and with such a sloppy pronunciation, that it felt like a different language. And they were boys raised in my neighbourhood.

So as a general statement, I would agree that any given group can have their own way of speaking which makes it hard to catch what they say for anyone outside of the group. I am not quite sure where that leads us in this discussion though. :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 142 of 299
23 October 2013 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
You only have to try to follow the language of the two young men in "Y Tu Mama
Tambien", or some of the scenes in "Amores Perros" to know how difficult Mexican
Spanish could be to a non-Mexican.

I was studying Spanish reasonably intently when I watched both of those films, and
without subtitles, I would have been lost.

And I could well imagine very colloquial, slangy English defeating many non-native
speakers, and very colloquial slangy Scottish English would probably defeat me a lot of
the time.

HMS
England
Joined 4901 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 143 of 299
23 October 2013 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
" Not here at HTLAL? I may be wrong, but I can't recall people making claims
about various dialects of any language."

I've seen one or two 'Lowland Scots' listed under languages known on this website.

Are all Arabs polyglots?

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4416 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 144 of 299
23 October 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
HMS wrote:
" Not here at HTLAL? I may be wrong, but I can't recall people making claims
about various dialects of any language."

I've seen one or two 'Lowland Scots' listed under languages known on this website.

Some people would argue that Lowland Scots (or Lallans) is indeed a language in its own right. It's not to be confused with Scottish English, which is what most people in Scotland speak nowadays.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 299 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version