Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 217 of 299
28 October 2013 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
s_allard wrote:
As a very remote observer who has never heard any of these languages,
I tend to rely on official or administrative
recognition. If the EU, the UN, the United States government, etc. all recognize four
languages, then four languages
exist.

Thing is that you can´t rely on political documents. Better to get to know what the
languages are like and gain some educational value out of it in the process.

Norway isn´t tiny, just not densely populated.

I stand corrected. Norway is not tiny but sparsely populated. I apologize.

But let's get back to our infamous Balkan languages. I am trying very hard to get some educational value out of
all this. I am open to being corrected. Educate me.

If I can't rely on political documents like those of the UN, the EU, the constitutions of the various countries
concerned, what am I supposed to rely on? Should I learn to speak Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin
before expressing an opinion about the status of these languages?

We always keep hitting the same wall. A country named Serbia has a language, Serbian. No problem. A country
named Croatia has a language, Croatian. No problem. A country named Bosnia has a language, Bosnian. Wait a
minute. No way, Bosnian can't be a language; it doesn't exist; it can't exist. It's really Serbo-Croatian. A country
named Montenegro has a language, Montenegrin. This is even worse. No such thing can possibly exist.

In fact, everybody says that these languages are so mutually intelligible that structually they are all one language.
I actually agree. So why not call them by one neutral name let's say Yugoslavian? Then we would have Serbian
Yugoslavian, Croatian Yugoslavian, Bosnian Yugoslavian and Montenegrin Yugoslavian. Isn't this what we do with
English where we have British English, American English, Australian English, etc? And what about all the varieties
of Spanish or French?

If my suggestion of the common name, Yugoslavian, doesn't fly, substitute any other name. We know of course
that the conditions under which Yugoslavia disintegrated did not favour the choice of a common language name,
and we now have four where we could have had just one if everybody had agreed like one big happy family. It was
not to be.

To me this all seems like a political process enshrined in political documents. What I find so unusual about this
debate is that so many people are dumping on the Bosnians and the Montenegrins. How dare they declare their
own official languages? Have they no clue about linguistics. And all those international bodies that recognize
these official languages? They need to be educated.

Edited by s_allard on 28 October 2013 at 3:31pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 218 of 299
28 October 2013 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
what am I supposed to rely on?

Linguistics.
4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 219 of 299
28 October 2013 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Quote:

Linguistics.

This is the problem. I take the time to ask certain questions and all I get is cryptic answers. For example, what
should be the names of the official language(s) of Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro? How does linguistics
help us resolve this problem?

Edited by s_allard on 28 October 2013 at 3:45pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 220 of 299
28 October 2013 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm no expert but it sure sounds similar to what the Russian government is doing. There are very real problems and they are distracting the people with topics like "Pussy Riot", "gay propaganda" and other bullshіt. In most of the former Yugoslavia, language appears to be the preferred "Important Issue We Need To Deal With" while ignoring much more urgent things.

Maybe in the future the issue will become less sensitive and the countries will agree on the X in Serbian X, Croatian X, Bosnian X and Montenegrin X. They've already voted for each other in Eurovision so there's hope :-)

Edited by Serpent on 28 October 2013 at 3:44pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 221 of 299
28 October 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Quote:

Linguistics.

This is the problem. I take the time to ask certain questions and all I get is cryptic
answers. For example, what
should be the names of the official language(s) of Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and
Montenegro? How does linguistics
help us resolve this problem?

Serbo-Croatian or BCMS/SC. Serbian variant, Croatian variant, Bosnian variant,
Montenegrin variant.
The same as Dutch or Flemish both being standard versions of Dutch. US/UK English.

Edited by tarvos on 28 October 2013 at 3:55pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5127 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 222 of 299
28 October 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
I have so little personal knowledge about the Balkan languages, that I can not give an independent opinion on them - but I have read Chung's log with great interest over the last couple of days (it is long :-) and he seems to have done a very thorough analysis of what is presented as the differences between Croation and Serbian. My perception, based on that, is that the difference - right now - are small. Too small to call them different languages.

And although from a language learner perspective I would like them to stay as close as possible, because I would like to learn them some day, I can see why the peoples concerned would want their own language. That was in fact the very same reason why Nynorsk was created once upon a time. It was felt to be important for the Norwegian people to have their own language, one based on the original dialects, and not tainted by Danish.

I do not think we should judge people for feeling that way, or even for deliberately working to make the variants as different as possible, so that they will in fact evolve into different languages. We use nationalistic as if it was a bad word, but if you have lived under opression, it is just a way of getting back to your roots.

In Norway we are proud of our flag and use it for birthdays and any sort of celebrations, in addition to the offical "flag-days", and on the 17th of May the country is covered in red, white and blue. We are proud of our national costumes and use them for the national holiday, baptisms and confirmations and we even get married in them, or use them when the parliament is opened or when there is a celebration at the Royal Castle. And although I am personally not a big fan of our "Western-Norway Esperanto", Nynorsk, I support the sentiments that was behind the creation of it. We are lucky, in that since we have not been a belligerent nation for the last 1000 years or so, nobody bother us about it.

We should therefore also show understanding for the fact that even in a territory that has seen so much violence in our lifetime, they have a legitime desire to be proud of their nation - using the typical markers for a free nation, including the language. That does not mean that we should accept a language as a language if it is not, but we should respect their right to change it until it is.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 28 October 2013 at 4:31pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 223 of 299
28 October 2013 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Great post! But as Chung also mentioned, ironically too much prescriptiveness only slows down the process. Let the dialects and colloquialisms flourish, and soon you'll have a real base for a new language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 224 of 299
28 October 2013 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Congrats to @Solfrid Cristin for a) not minding that I called Norway a tiny country and b) providing a nice summary
of the situation of the Balkan languages. I think we can all agree with this description. It will be interesting to see
the future evolution. I suspect that we will see official attempts to differentiate the languages but on the ground
there will probably some merging due to the homogenizing effects of media and formal education.

This discussion contains 299 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version