Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 145 of 299
23 October 2013 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
HMS wrote:
" Not here at HTLAL? I may be wrong, but I can't recall
people making claims
about various dialects of any language."

I've seen one or two 'Lowland Scots' listed under languages known on this website.

Some people would argue that Lowland Scots (or Lallans) is indeed a language in its own
right. It's not to be confused with Scottish English, which is what most people in
Scotland speak nowadays.

Also spoken in Northern Ireland, although some people might argue that that is yet
another language, rather than a dialect.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 146 of 299
24 October 2013 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Well, I have marked Lowland Scots under "studies" because I actually study it - and I study it using sources which are quite away from the kind of standard English I'm using in this message. Earlier in this thread I wrote that you should must study a language variant as a fullblown language if you want to use it actively. On the other hand, many undisputed languages are so close that you can treat them as dialects if you just want to understand them passively.

The problem with hardcore Scots is that it is at one end of a language continuum. Mony Scots spake a leed conseestin o Sassenach wirds spaken wi a truly Scots ring. And people in Northern England speak the descendants of precisely those dialects which when imported to the Scottish lowlands developed into the thing called Scots. But that's a thousand years ago, the diversification process has stopped and at least since the 1700s Scots has been steadily moving in the direction of the multiple Englishes spoken in the South.

There is also another problem: why should precisely Lowland Scots (even in its hardcore form) be defined as a language, when all the other variants of English 'only' are seen as dialects? OK, it has been proposed to define 'Ebonics' as a language in its own right, but that proposal was probably too controversial to become common wisdom. And those who call Scots a true language face a situation where it is tiny Scots against a monstrously big and diverse thing called English.

But for those who study it actively it is necessary to learn it as a language, and if I for some reason decided to learn Caribbean English or a Southern redneck variant of English I would have to do the same.

Btw. Laland Scots is on the list, but Plattdüütsch ain't. Even Schwiizertüütsch is absent.

Edited by Iversen on 24 October 2013 at 10:28am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6472 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 147 of 299
24 October 2013 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
I always get annoyed when, in general, people think that having some mutual
intelligibility means you "know" the other language and, more specifically, when Slavic
people say that "oh, if you know Russian learning Ukrainian takes no more than 1 month"
(I heard that a couple of weeks back). Right. I can guarantee that it takes way longer.
(If not, I'm really crappy at learning languages.)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
They will speak their respective languages knowing (hoping)
that they will be understood. Swedes are one of
the largest groups of foreigners working in Norway, and I have yet to hear a single one
of them make any
attempt to speak Norwegian. You can hardly buy a beer in Oslo without hearing Swedish.

I've been wondering about this actually! I've been in Oslo for 6,5 years now, and I
eat/drink out quite a lot, so I run into this horde of nightlife Swedes. And they
almost never speak pure Swedish. After being to one restaurant last autumn I asked my
boyfriend about this, if he thought our waitress, who indeed sounded very Swedish,
spoke Swedish to us. He was all "well yes, obviously, she spoke Swedish". She had not
used one Swedish word in her conversation with us, only Swedish
pronunciation. So I wonder if Norwegians believe these Swedes actually speak
ordinary Swedish to them when they do this. If a person uses Swedish pronunciation and
melody, but Norwegian vocabulary, what is he/she then speaking? Likewise with my Danish
father-in-law. He speaks Norwegian (vocabulary wise), but with Danish everything.

It's also amusing when telephone sales people (only Swedes will accept those jobs here)
call me and we're both there going "should we switch to Swedish now?!?" while
stammering through an awkward conversation where we both switch back and forth between
Swedish/Norwegian vocabulary while I try to tell them I'm not interested in whatever
they have to sell.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 148 of 299
24 October 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
I always get annoyed when, in general, people think that having some mutual
intelligibility means you "know" the other language and, more specifically, when Slavic
people say that "oh, if you know Russian learning Ukrainian takes no more than 1 month"
(I heard that a couple of weeks back). Right. I can guarantee that it takes way longer.
(If not, I'm really crappy at learning languages.)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
They will speak their respective languages knowing (hoping)
that they will be understood. Swedes are one of
the largest groups of foreigners working in Norway, and I have yet to hear a single one
of them make any
attempt to speak Norwegian. You can hardly buy a beer in Oslo without hearing Swedish.

I've been wondering about this actually! I've been in Oslo for 6,5 years now, and I
eat/drink out quite a lot, so I run into this horde of nightlife Swedes. And they
almost never speak pure Swedish. After being to one restaurant last autumn I asked my
boyfriend about this, if he thought our waitress, who indeed sounded very Swedish,
spoke Swedish to us. He was all "well yes, obviously, she spoke Swedish". She had not
used one Swedish word in her conversation with us, only Swedish
pronunciation. So I wonder if Norwegians believe these Swedes actually speak
ordinary Swedish to them when they do this. If a person uses Swedish pronunciation and
melody, but Norwegian vocabulary, what is he/she then speaking? Likewise with my Danish
father-in-law. He speaks Norwegian (vocabulary wise), but with Danish everything.

It's also amusing when telephone sales people (only Swedes will accept those jobs here)
call me and we're both there going "should we switch to Swedish now?!?" while
stammering through an awkward conversation where we both switch back and forth between
Swedish/Norwegian vocabulary while I try to tell them I'm not interested in whatever
they have to sell.

I have never heard Swedes use Norwegian words, but I can of course not rule out that they put in Norwegian
words that I do not notice, if they are pronounced in Swedish. I would just assume that this was part of their
dialect, since there are some Swedish dialects close to the Norwegian border which are closer to Norwegian.

As for "speaking Norwegian with Danish everything" that is a concept I have a very hard time wrapping my
head around. Danish basically is Norwegian with a Danish pronunciation - or to be mer accurate - Norwegian
is basically Danish with a Norwegian pronunciation. The differences in vocabulary are minimal if you
disregard their counting system and the fact that our word for crying is their word for smiling(grine).

But it is interesting to know that Swedes also speak Svorsk. We have this concept here that only Norwegians
do that because of our huge inferiority complex when it comes to Swedes.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 24 October 2013 at 12:52pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 149 of 299
24 October 2013 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Do not worry, I will snakke norsk with you instead of prata svenska ;)

Edited by tarvos on 24 October 2013 at 12:55pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6472 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 150 of 299
24 October 2013 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have never heard Swedes use Norwegian words, but I can of
course not rule out that they put in Norwegian
words that I do not notice, if they are pronounced in Swedish. I would just assume that
this was part of their
dialect, since there are some Swedish dialects close to the Norwegian border which are
closer to Norwegian.

As for "speaking Norwegian with Danish everything" that is a concept I have a very hard
time wrapping my
head around. Danish basically is Norwegian with a Danish pronunciation - or to be mer
accurate - Norwegian
is basically Danish with a Norwegian pronunciation. The differences in vocabulary are
minimal if you
disregard their counting system and the fact that our word for crying is their word for
smiling(grine).

But it is interesting to know that Swedes also speak Svorsk. We have this concept here
that only Norwegians

And here I thought the Swedish invasion of the last decade was the origin of svorsk!
That's at least the impression I get in Oslo. I'm very much aware of what vocabulary
people use since I translate from Norwegian to Swedish, so I always notice whenever a
Swede uses a Norwegian word. And believe me, they do it all the time. The only time I
have ever heard Norwegians use Swedish words is when they mock young Swedes and their
stereotypical, aggressive approach to customer service (like that new commercial for
Komplett).

I always think there are actually differences between Norwegian and Danish, albeit not
as big as between either of them and Swedish. Whenever I read a text in Danish, or
translate from Danish, I am slowed down quite considerably and have to pay lots of
attention to what's actually a singular and what's a plural, and there are many words I
have to look up. Danish also always feels so German to me.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 151 of 299
24 October 2013 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have never heard Swedes use Norwegian words, but I can
of
course not rule out that they put in Norwegian
words that I do not notice, if they are pronounced in Swedish. I would just assume that
this was part of their
dialect, since there are some Swedish dialects close to the Norwegian border which are
closer to Norwegian.

As for "speaking Norwegian with Danish everything" that is a concept I have a very hard
time wrapping my
head around. Danish basically is Norwegian with a Danish pronunciation - or to be mer
accurate - Norwegian
is basically Danish with a Norwegian pronunciation. The differences in vocabulary are
minimal if you
disregard their counting system and the fact that our word for crying is their word for
smiling(grine).

But it is interesting to know that Swedes also speak Svorsk. We have this concept here
that only Norwegians

And here I thought the Swedish invasion of the last decade was the origin of svorsk!
That's at least the impression I get in Oslo. I'm very much aware of what vocabulary
people use since I translate from Norwegian to Swedish, so I always notice whenever a
Swede uses a Norwegian word. And believe me, they do it all the time. The only time I
have ever heard Norwegians use Swedish words is when they mock young Swedes and their
stereotypical, aggressive approach to customer service (like that new commercial for
Komplett).

I always think there are actually differences between Norwegian and Danish, albeit not
as big as between either of them and Swedish. Whenever I read a text in Danish, or
translate from Danish, I am slowed down quite considerably and have to pay lots of
attention to what's actually a singular and what's a plural, and there are many words I
have to look up. Danish also always feels so German to me.

Nah, Svorsk has been spoken at least since I was a kid - probably longer - and I was born in the first part of
the 60ies. When I was in my early 20 ies Norwegians went to Sweden to find work. We are both very lucky
that we have a neighbour country where there is little to no red tape if we want to go to work, or buy a house,
where there are few difficulties when it comes to language, and where we are welcome.   Many countries
would have loved to be in our position. I am not familiar with any stereotypical aggressive approach to
customer service on behalf is Swedes here. On the contrary, they are known to be a lot more polite and
professional than the Norwegians.

And it is perfectly possible that I underestimate the differences between Danish and Norwegian - having been
around for a while means that I have come across most Danish words. You probably know the Norwegian
saying that "The Devil knows more because he is old, than because he is the Devil..."

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 152 of 299
24 October 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
As I follow this interesting discussion about everyday language use in Norway, I find it fascinating to read that
there are Swedes in Norway, or at least in Oslo, who talk to Norwegians in Swedish or is it in Norwegian with
Swedish pronunciation? And the Norwegians don't mind?

When I was in Norway, Norwegian all sounded the same to me. Who knows what I as hearing?

So, to come back to the main point of the thread, couldn't one say that the three languages, Swedish,
Norwegian and Danish are mutually intelligible? Not to the degree of Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian and
Montenegrin, of course. But if you disregard the written language and certain cultural references, couldn't we
say that there really is one Scandinavian language with three variants?

Edited by s_allard on 24 October 2013 at 4:18pm

This discussion contains 299 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version