United States
Joined 4524 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 74
23 October 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
I find this a very interesting topic, the only problem is that all of my thoughts on
the matter are partial tangents and I'm not sure which to go with. I think I'll just
spit a couple out here, feel free to pick up or discard whatever you please.

1. Yes, in the most basic sense trying to incorporate newly learned vocabulary or
grammar will probably slow down your fluency. Whether this is good or bad really comes
down to whether you are *practicing* the language or *using* it. For example, if I'm
skyping with someone mainly for the purpose of practicing there language, of course
I'll try to stretch myself. If I'm in a job interview and I want to prove that I'm
conversant in the language, I would restrict myself to what I know really well and try
to steer the conversation in that direction. Of course, most real life situations would
be somewhere in the middle.

2. What I first thought of when I saw "trying to be too clever" was the learner (myself
included!) who learns words in an ascending scale of difficulty, paying no attention to
context or register, and throws them into his conversation willy-nilly. This comes
across as very stilted, and if you have materials that can guide you as to which words
are more suitable for conversation, so much the better. If not, you'll have to rely on
language partners or tutors.

3. Of course, the more unusual the word, the fewer contexts in which it is appropriate
to use, and therefore the more difficult it may become to activate! I'm not sure what
the solution is here, other than trying to cultivate language partners with a
particular interest in whatever field the vocabulary pertains to. Given how hard it is
to find language tandems of any kind, that may be a real challenge!
2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 10 of 74
23 October 2013 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
This post is very relevant to my case in Czech.

I always want to know every word and to speak as perfectly/natively as possible. My main problem with this is that mistakes are always painful for me and affect my fluency and so perhaps I should dumb down my Czech to make less mistakes and therefore speak more fluently.

I know mistakes are good and I should see them that way but I can't help but feel bad every time I make one.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tanya b
United States
Joined 4566 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 11 of 74
23 October 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm not an intellectual and sometimes I resent when my fellow native English speakers who are, try to put on airs or show off how clever or brilliant they are by using words that only a highly-educated person would use.

Now I plead guilty to doing the same thing, often acquiring useless vocab that I will never use, to be on the safe side, just in case the conversation suddenly turns to the mating habits of ladybugs or 12th-century Hungarian folk dances--I want to be ready and at least appear to have a high IQ.

For me, the essence of fluency is being clever when you have to be. End of story.

On the subject of being too clever, I remember I was watching a couple of American intellectuals on TV discussing the work of some obscure German movie director I had never heard of. They were both trying to outdo each other with their intellect and wit, and I thought to myself--if you're so smart, why don't you learn German and try having this conversation and see how well you do.

I'm afraid that becoming multilingual has made me into a hater, a hypocrite and something of an intellectal snob. Lord have mercy.

Edited by tanya b on 24 October 2013 at 12:07am

3 persons have voted this message useful

cpnlsn88
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4825 days ago

63 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, Latin

Message 12 of 74
24 October 2013 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
I blame fluency, the requirement to debate for 3 hours on the mating habits of Japanese ladybugs. Yes, there's something to be said for the pedestrian and mundane.

Someone once said to me 'I've just sat in an economics lecture in French and understood everything but now I don't know how to buy a stamp'. I have a similar problem in German - I can talk about political and philosophical and religious themes but struggle with the everyday and mundane.

At the end of the day I don't think it matters. If you learn a language you never quite get there and will know a lot of failure and frustration and you are always getting better as you make progress, however slow it is and however winding the path is.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 13 of 74
24 October 2013 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Well, this comes down to the well known trouble of finding material for the spoken
language. I find good books and tv shows of the "lower" genres to be the best choice.
If all the input you get is about academic topics than it is understandable your active
skills will be disbalanced as well.

It is very common. And these are the main reasons, in my opinion:

1.Advanced or even intermediate courses (both books and classes) prefer the topics that
suit the exams and the modern, "conversational", multi-culti eco curriculum. These
days, many teachers and schools feel the pressure to provide students with much more
than "just skills". So they are trying to get into the culture and interesting topics.
But they do it their way which is aimed at intelectual and academic topics and sources.
I dare guess 95% of people in classes can speak for several minutes about the wildlife
protection or discrimination of anyone but cannot shop in classical smaller shops,
follow a recipe or ask for advice concerning broken heating.

2.The libraries focused on foreign languages often share a similar obsession. They want
to educate the readers and give them the best of the foreign culture, not some
popculture crap. So the intelectual and educational value of the content is more to
them than the language learning value. Even when it comes to dvds, they tend to have
many more high quality movies than just thrillers, comedies and tvseries. And there are
other and similar disbalances. Such as some libraries thinking a language lover=a
humanities person with no interest in sciences. And a few more.

3.Many of us tend to have a similar approach at times. We all want to get to the
content we enjoy. And there are many people who enjoy mostly documentaries and
intelectual things and find the mainstream and intelectually easier things to be a
waste of time.

4.Many people think "I will learn all about the conversational language by the
conversation when I get an opportunity." Well, this may be true if you are moving to
the country or are in exceptionally good situation (your new friends are monolingual
for exemple). But often the easiest (for all sides) and most logical outcome of this
are people switching to English as they find you uncomfortable to speak with in their
language.
4 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5348 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 14 of 74
24 October 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
cpnlsn88 wrote:

Someone once said to me 'I've just sat in an economics lecture in French and understood
everything but now I don't know how to buy a stamp'.

I believe that is a common failing of economists, irrespective of language issues.
6 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5218 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 15 of 74
24 October 2013 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
I think that the OP's point is well taken. Many times when we try to speak in a sophisticated manner and on
complex subjects things fall apart because we are out of our depth. The main problem, in my opinion, is not
that are "trying to be too clever;" the problem is that we haven't really mastered the basics.

There is a myth that talking in a sophisticated manner means using a rarefied vocabulary. To talk about any
technical topic, you need a technical vocabulary. But you can talk in a highly sophisticated manner with very
mundane words by combining them in sophisticated ways.

The key to this is being able to make fine distinctions and nuances with ordinary words. Today I listened to a
discussion between Malcolm Galdwell and Stephen Fry on the Guardian newspaper website. No big fancy
words here but lots of examples of how to use ordinary language in different ways.

I believe that instead of trying to learn as many words as possible, it's more important to learn the many
ways of using fewer words.
4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 16 of 74
24 October 2013 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I think that the OP's point is well taken. Many times when we try to
speak in a sophisticated manner and on
complex subjects things fall apart because we are out of our depth. The main problem,
in my opinion, is not
that are "trying to be too clever;" the problem is that we haven't really mastered the
basics.

There is a myth that talking in a sophisticated manner means using a rarefied
vocabulary. To talk about any
technical topic, you need a technical vocabulary. But you can talk in a highly
sophisticated manner with very
mundane words by combining them in sophisticated ways.

The key to this is being able to make fine distinctions and nuances with ordinary
words. Today I listened to a
discussion between Malcolm Galdwell and Stephen Fry on the Guardian newspaper website.
No big fancy
words here but lots of examples of how to use ordinary language in different ways.

I believe that instead of trying to learn as many words as possible, it's more
important to learn the many
ways of using fewer words.

I agree, but you are still going to have to be ready to recognise a lot of words, or be
really advanced in recognising meanings by context, which normally requires a fairly
large passive vocabulary.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version