Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 17 of 74
24 October 2013 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Both wide vocabulary and deep knowledge of your vocabulary are closely tied with the
amounts of input. I'd say there are approximately the same differences between foreign
language learners and among thenatives. Those who read a lot (and listen a lot) have much
better passive and active vocabulary than those who don't. And the creativity of usage
and ways to employ your words is to some extent transferable between the languages as you
just follow the same learning pattern with another language. People having (and using)
large vocabulary in their native language tend to have much less trouble acquiring and
using the new vocabulary.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5218 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 18 of 74
25 October 2013 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I think that the OP's point is well taken. Many times when we try to
speak in a sophisticated manner and on
complex subjects things fall apart because we are out of our depth. The main problem,
in my opinion, is not
that are "trying to be too clever;" the problem is that we haven't really mastered the
basics.

There is a myth that talking in a sophisticated manner means using a rarefied
vocabulary. To talk about any
technical topic, you need a technical vocabulary. But you can talk in a highly
sophisticated manner with very
mundane words by combining them in sophisticated ways.

The key to this is being able to make fine distinctions and nuances with ordinary
words. Today I listened to a
discussion between Malcolm Galdwell and Stephen Fry on the Guardian newspaper website.
No big fancy
words here but lots of examples of how to use ordinary language in different ways.

I believe that instead of trying to learn as many words as possible, it's more
important to learn the many
ways of using fewer words.

I agree, but you are still going to have to be ready to recognise a lot of words, or be
really advanced in recognising meanings by context, which normally requires a fairly
large passive vocabulary.

Not to make a big deal out of this, I still believe that we are talking about different things. While it is certainly
good to have large passive and active vocabulary, it is not necessary in order to talk in a sophisticated manner.
Neither am I suggesting that a small vocabulary is a good thing. What I'm saying is that languages like English,
Ftench and Spanish - the ones I know relatively well - provide lexical and grammatical resources that allow you
to make fine distinctions will relatively few words.

Take for example the words DO and MAKE in English. Each is very rich in nuances of meaning. Add the usual
prepositions like UP, OUT, OVER, IN and you have a rich set of phrasal verbs. There is a lot that you can do wtih
just six words.
4 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5348 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 19 of 74
25 October 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The main problem, in my opinion, is not that are "trying to be too
clever;" the problem is that we haven't really mastered the basics.

Guilty!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 74
26 October 2013 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I think that the OP's point is well taken. Many times when we try to
speak in a sophisticated manner and on
complex subjects things fall apart because we are out of our depth. The main problem,
in my opinion, is not
that are "trying to be too clever;" the problem is that we haven't really mastered the
basics.

There is a myth that talking in a sophisticated manner means using a rarefied
vocabulary. To talk about any
technical topic, you need a technical vocabulary. But you can talk in a highly
sophisticated manner with very
mundane words by combining them in sophisticated ways.

The key to this is being able to make fine distinctions and nuances with ordinary
words. Today I listened to a
discussion between Malcolm Galdwell and Stephen Fry on the Guardian newspaper website.
No big fancy
words here but lots of examples of how to use ordinary language in different ways.

I believe that instead of trying to learn as many words as possible, it's more
important to learn the many
ways of using fewer words.

I agree, but you are still going to have to be ready to recognise a lot of words, or be
really advanced in recognising meanings by context, which normally requires a fairly
large passive vocabulary.
Otherwise you'll speak better than you understand :-)

And I think I've found an important piece of the puzzle which is my eternal debate with s_allard. For him, knowing the basics includes knowing highly advanced meanings/usage of the basic words. But I'd rather learn the word football before I learn any phrasal verbs or idioms.

Edited by Serpent on 26 October 2013 at 2:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5218 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 21 of 74
26 October 2013 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And I think I've found an important piece of the puzzle which is my eternal debate with s_allard. For him,
knowing the basics includes knowing highly advanced meanings/usage of the basic words. But I'd rather learn
the word football before I learn any phrasal verbs or idioms.

It's not a question of "highly advanced meaning/usage of the basic words." It's the ability to use those basic
words to render complex ideas. Let's take the example of that common verb in English GET. How many
nuances of meaning are there in the use of GET by itself? Probably at least 10. What's the highly advanced
meaning/usage in "Something's got to give," "What can I get you to drink" and "I haven't got a clue?"

Add to that the prepositions and you have many phrasal verbs, all based on the same verb GET. I'd think you'd
be better off learning how to use the verb GET than the word football.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 22 of 74
26 October 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Not really, since football is a word Serpent uses every day. Football is actually a rare
instance of a word where it should be common sense that it is not the first thing you
learn, but since the sport is so popular and I get tonnes of exposure to it, it is always
one of the first words I learn in general.

Edited by tarvos on 26 October 2013 at 11:26am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 23 of 74
26 October 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Hehe, tarvos is totally right :-)
s_allard, some specific meanings of common words and many phrasal verbs and idioms are taught in advanced level courses. Nouns are important at the beginner level: you won't get far when it's raining and you don't know the word umbrella. (And no, you don't need to learn all meanings for nouns in one go either)

Also you are generalizing too much based on what you see in English and Spanish. You'll have to alter your strategy if you ever learn Russian, Finnish, German or even Esperanto.

In my opinion, the only reason a beginner might be interested in phrasal verbs is that when natives simplify their speech, they think of the individual words and somehow think that if the verb is common and the preposition is common, you should understand what they are saying. Whereas when it comes to English, a speaker of a Romance language will understand the long and supposedly complicated words easier. (may even happen with other languages if the word in question comes from French or Latin)

Your examples are not about the usage of get, imo (except "get you a drink"). The first and last one are more about "have", and the real key word in the last one is actually "clue".

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5218 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 24 of 74
26 October 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
I do not doubt that for some people football should be learned before anything else. But if you look at the most
common words in any language I don't think that football is among the first 500 words. Neither is umbrella.

On the other hand GET ranks around 47 in the list of most common words in English and fourth or fifth as the
most important verb in the English language. That means that you will probably hear GET way before you hear
football or umbrella.

This is not to say that you should not learn football or umbrella when you need them. I'm simply saying that you
get more bang for your buck by learning the most commonly used words in a language.   Now if the equivalents
of football and umbrella are among the most common words in Russian, Finnish, German and Esperanto, then
they should be learned first, by all means.

Let's look at the idea that nouns are important at the beginner level. They are important at all levels but it should
be pointed out that in English, French and Spanish, at least, the verbs and connector words appear way before
nouns in the lists of the most common words. I certainly agree that you have to learn nouns but the glue that
binds the nouns is the verbs and the connectors.

I see no reason why one should not learn football and umbrella as the first words in the language if that is an
immediate reality. My point is that, at least in the languages that I know, the verbs will take you further more
quickly.

Edited by s_allard on 26 October 2013 at 1:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version