74 messages over 10 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 9 10 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 57 of 74
29 October 2013 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Lykeio wrote:
So what if the course is boring? From where are you expecting to tske
your enjoyment?
from a textbook you're meant to spend minimal time on or in interacting with people,
reading literature and so on?

It really doesn't matter. Personally I find crap like TYS and Assimil very boring due
to
the amount of time each are meant to take, very inefficient ways of learning. I'd
rather
get to native materials as quickly as possible.

Me too. Assimil actually integrates the latter quite well though. But you can modify
the time you take to go through Assimil, I don't use it entirely per the instructions,
I just use them as a graded reader. Plus I do some of the translations exercises to
check, and the fill in the blanks to train spelling. If you can adapt material well
enough to suit your style then that's good. Tinkering is not forbidden.

Assimil lessons tend not to be very dry, which is what makes them more useful. But the
point is that its layout is the principle, you could effectively design a modular
system which uses only native materials. What I like is the concept of using bilingual
translations as a crutch, the concept of developing it as a graded reader, and the
large amount of audio you get. It's just beginner LR.

Edited by tarvos on 29 October 2013 at 2:12pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4036 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 58 of 74
29 October 2013 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Well this kind of discussion seems like it could rapidly develop into a course
designing debate. I should say I'm not too much in disagreement with you here, in terms
of the use of bilingual texts and audio. However the problem I have with Assimil is the
arrangement of material. It's not dense enough. I'm flicking through the Italian With
Ease now and just look how ridiculously at pains it is to introduce the concept of
conjugation. Seriously a paradigm would be MUCH more effective.

In general Assimil is too flowery like that, I genuinely believe some of the other ones
are better for largely avoiding this stuff. The old Italian just throws you into
examples much like a live conversation. Still far too slow, however.

Something like a mix between (older) Assimil and the old Living Language courses would
be perfect for the general market I think.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 59 of 74
29 October 2013 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Lykeio wrote:
Well this kind of discussion seems like it could rapidly develop into a
course
designing debate. I should say I'm not too much in disagreement with you here, in terms
of the use of bilingual texts and audio. However the problem I have with Assimil is the
arrangement of material. It's not dense enough. I'm flicking through the Italian With
Ease now and just look how ridiculously at pains it is to introduce the concept of
conjugation. Seriously a paradigm would be MUCH more effective.

In general Assimil is too flowery like that, I genuinely believe some of the other ones
are better for largely avoiding this stuff. The old Italian just throws you into
examples much like a live conversation. Still far too slow, however.

Something like a mix between (older) Assimil and the old Living Language courses would
be perfect for the general market I think.

Exactly. Assimil under its newer guise lacks tempo, which is its main drawback (as is
the grammar presentation). I can understand that people may find grammar-heavier
editions more dry and that they wouldn't sell as well, so the alternative is to produce
bigger editions with more material. Costs more money.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5222 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 60 of 74
29 October 2013 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
I see that we have many amateur course designers in the house. As someone who actually does a fair amount of
teaching of English and French, I use a combination of my own materials and commercial stuff. There is so
much great material available for both languages - and for others of course - that I find that learning materials is
not the problem. And I'm not even talking about the Internet.

Frankly, in today's world, the self-leaarner can basically have a custom-made syllabus with tons of audio, video,
transcriptions, dozens of websites on every conceivable aspect of any language. I don't see what people are
complaining about.

As for the matter of phrasal verbs, I have to say that I think all has been said. My head hurts when I have to read
that turgid prose. Do what works for you. I do what works for me and my students.

Give me 300 words and fifty most common verbs in a language and we are in business. I like to work extensively
on phonology, especially prosody, so that students start sounding good very early. With the greetings and
salutations, basic question forms, patterns for giving and receiving thanks, basic pronouns, especially forms of
"it" and key verb patterns, you can start talking very quickly. I also emphasize learning conversation markers that
are great for enhancing oral fluency and avoiding that common stuttering and searching for words.

I see no reason why a person cannot start talking in a few days. In a limited fashion of course but it's a start. I
like to work on ritualized conversations for shopping. How to order in a café, a fast-food restaurant like
McDonald's, a supermarket. How to ask questions in the subway or on the bus.

With a relatively small repertoire of key phrase patterns and a basic vocabulary, the learner is able to engage the
language very quickly. This is why the greetings, salutations and thanking patterns are so important. They can be
used right away.

Of course, I'm working in an immersion setting where the student can leave the class, go to the cafeteria and use
what we just learned.

This is why I love the verb GET. It can used used - and overused - in so many ways that students become excited
as they can start interacting in a meaningful way. A basic phrase like I get it or I got it can produce amazing
results. And of course let's not forget DO, HAVE, BE and MAKE. And we can throw in football and umbrella
anytime.

Edited by s_allard on 29 October 2013 at 3:05pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 61 of 74
29 October 2013 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
I teach Dutch and English too, but only conversational practice usually. I usually do
this very free-form; I let the conversation develop and I let the students talk about
whatever subject they want to. I then pay attention to flow, phrasing and confidence and
correct them when they make gross errors that impede comprehension. Should the level be
very high, I may draw attention to detailed vocabulary or point out advanced
constructions. But I try to do this without killing conversational flow.

This is to encourage students to dare with their mistakes - I tell them that they
shouldn't hold back or be scared - this is the arena where mistakes are allowed. If it's
wrong I'll show them how to do it and then we're merrily on our way. No broken egos.

Edited by tarvos on 29 October 2013 at 3:12pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6495 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 62 of 74
29 October 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Those ritualized conversations may appeal to people who like theatre, but I would definitely prefer discussions about the kings of old Babylonia or the Higgs particle or Bruckner's symphonies ... or language learning.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5222 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 63 of 74
29 October 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Let's be serious here. The point of ritualized conversations is that many interactions for learners are of a highly
predictable and repetitive nature. I can't expect people to start discussing Bruckner's symphonies after three days,
but I can teach them to order something in a café.

Right now I'm working with a visiting professor from Turkey who can discuss high-level topics of philosophy in
English but complains that he can't have a simple conversation. That's exactly where these ritualized conversation
elements are so useful to get started.

But the idea of theatre is not really incorrect. I tell my students that speaking a language is actually a lot like a
theatrical performance. You start off by learning a bunch of lines with good diction. And in the end you can
improvise totally.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4801 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 64 of 74
29 October 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
So, let's get it out and be dealt with it instead of "hidden" hints in every third
post, it's getting annoying. Obviously S'allard is getting headaches from my writing
and I feel like vomiting when reading his arrogance and the needy attitude "admire my
wisdom, you are all stupid." From now on, I am not responding to his posts, no matter
how much crap he writes, I think we have already seen several good threads sent to hell
due to this. Again, he managed to turn this debate into something totally different
than the OP meant, as more people already noted.

There are more of us who teach others and who learnt other languages successfully so
there is no need to be haughty as usual. And while you make a lot of bold statements
concerning how dumbed down this forum is or how you hate reading me (even though you
were similarily rude about others who disagreed with you in past as well), you might
want to work on your reading comprehension, attitude and manners. You seem to lack all
of it.

Now that it is out, it no longer needs to leak through any interesting thread Sallard
derails. While he sometimes writes very interesting ideas, I would recommend people not
to feed the troll once he goes on his usual merry ride. If anyone takes this as a
personal attack, report me to moderators, ban me or anything, I'm ok with that.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version