justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5189 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 73 of 319
31 December 2013 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Is there a small spot left I could occupy, please?

Por supuesto. :D

I'll update logs and team list tomorrow. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

LeadZeppelin
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4815 days ago

59 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 74 of 319
31 December 2013 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Does anybody know of any good beginner-ish TV shows / telenovelas? I've watched all of
extr@ and I'm about to finish with Destinos. At this
point, there's no way I could take another series that is aimed specifically for learners--they're just too slow and
annoying (albeit helpful for awhile). But something aimed for natives on the easier side would probably be perfect
for me now.

BTW, we should start filling up the first couple posts in this thread with lots of resources like this. I'm sure the more
advanced Spanish speakers have a lot of resources they've already used to get us started (hint hint :P)! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 75 of 319
31 December 2013 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
LeadZeppelin wrote:
Does anybody know of any good beginner-ish TV shows / telenovelas? I've watched all
of
extr@ and I'm about to finish with Destinos. At
this
point, there's no way I could take another series that is aimed specifically for learners--they're just too slow and
annoying (albeit helpful for awhile). But something aimed for natives on the easier side would probably be perfect
for me now.

BTW, we should start filling up the first couple posts in this thread with lots of resources like this. I'm sure the
more
advanced Spanish speakers have a lot of resources they've already used to get us started (hint hint :P)! :)

I jumped from Destinos directly into native TV shows, first with English subtitles and then without. The first one I
watched was a crime drama called Desaparecida on DramaFever:

Desaparecida

I'd watch a section with subtitles and then re-watch the same section without subtitles. Or at least that was the
goal…in reality, once I got sucked into the story I was too impatient to watch each episode twice. After Missing, I
watched La Fuga, and now I'm watching Isabel (both shows on DramaFever). I watched all of those shows with
English subtitles, and still found them extremely helpful in building my listening comprehension skills. I'm also
watching a few dubbed shows without subtitles - Buffy and The Simpsons. I used to be a dubbing snob, but
they're actually very accessible, especially if you're watching a show that you know well in your own language.

When I finished with Destinos, I also started listening to the intermediate podcasts on Notes in Spanish:

Notes in Spanish

I listened to all of the intermediate podcasts and then the advanced podcasts. Now I'm listening to Gold (albeit it
not every day the way that I was with the intermediate podcasts). I find that my listening improved ENORMOUSLY
with Notes in Spanish.

Edited by Stelle on 31 December 2013 at 2:28am

4 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 76 of 319
31 December 2013 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
Here are some resources for you:

Drama Fever

Has a full Latino section, mostly Argentine and Spanish shows, with English subtitles.
A subscription is $9.99 / month, but you can watch the first episode of each show for
free.   Give it a try & see which ones grab you! The language is harder for me to
understand than Central American Spanish, so the subtitles really help.

Hulu

Subscription is $7.99. Has lots of Mexican telenovelas with Spanish close-captions. The
acting in these is so over the top that it's easy to follow along even if you don't
catch all the dialogue.   I watched La Fea Más Bella (Ugly Betty) for awhile,
but there were 299 episodes (!) and there was no way I was going to finish it.

I just noticed that Pablo Escobar, El Patrón del Mal is on the free Hulu site,
but without subtitles or captions. I've marked it 'to watch' for when my Spanish is
stronger.

Netflix

You can get Latin American tv shows if you're willing to tweak your computer a bit.
You'll want to install * Hola Unblocker. This will place a
little icon in your browser tool bar. You can use this to change the country that you
view the internet through. Go to Netflix (or any site), click Hola, change to Mexico
(or any country), and a whole new world of browsing is at your command.

I haven't explored this a lot. I do know that La Reina del Sur is available,
with Spanish closed-captions.

* 13 million downloads, and it's still legal!
6 persons have voted this message useful

JIK
Diglot
Groupie
Bahrain
Joined 3896 days ago

58 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Estonian, English*
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 77 of 319
31 December 2013 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
I know it's a bit late and the team is getting a bit large, but do you think there might be room for one
more?

I'm hovering somewhere around a B1 in Spanish and want to get to C1 during by the end of 2014 :)
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5169 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 78 of 319
31 December 2013 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
I recently finished El Capo on MundoFox. It is a very suspenseful show. Quite well done and high quality. The plot is simple to follow.

I also concur with the advice that dubbed shows you already watch are a great bridge between things like Destinos and "regular" Spanish TV shows.

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4845 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 79 of 319
31 December 2013 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
I'm watching this ancient telenovela at the moment: Cuna de Lobos

If only for the sake of seeing the main villain's eyepatch collection. :)

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4816 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 80 of 319
31 December 2013 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
I provided a link to some great Argentine series and films in this thread.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version