United Kingdom
Joined 4816 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 49 of 319
27 December 2013 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Can I become a member?
I have studied Spanish and been a member of the forum for around 3 years now. My log can be found here

Over the years I have used practically every course and method in the book, although lately I mostly just watch interesting shows and read things on the internet. I would estimate my level to be hoovering just fractionally under B2, but if you drop me in a Spanish speaking country for a few days you could call it a solid B2.

Last year I spent 3 weeks traveling around Spain and 7 weeks split between Chile and Argentina, and also spent a day in Uruguay. For a couple of weeks I did some intensive 1 to 1 tutoring sessions with an excellent tutor in the city of Cordoba in Argentina. That was worth its weight in gold, and one of my goals this year is to find and work with someone as good, who can really push me out of my comfort zones, and also help me with my pronunciation and intonation, which are definitely my weak points.

I also need to get comfortable with Skype and find some decent people to talk to, as there are practically no Spanish speakers in my immediate area.   

Listening comprehension is a big strength of mine, but this year I want to challenge myself with harder content, and get more comfortable listening to multiple speakers.
I will have several other small goals for the year ahead, but I haven't quite firmed them up yet.

I suppose my ultimate goal is to achieve a C1ish level and maintain it for ever. I don't really have a timescale on this but I suppose the important thing is for me to be able to form meaningful relationships with non-English speakers, something which I have been able to achieve but only in a frustratingly limited capacity.

I would also like to spend up to a year living in a South American country, but as I turned 30 yesterday and really should think about buying a house etc. its 50-50 whether that will ever happen or not.

I would be excited to be a part of the team as looking at the list of members I already know of most of you and have spent many happy hours reading your posts.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5329 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 50 of 319
27 December 2013 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
I think I've got everyone listed on the front page now. If you're not there and
I missed you, let me know. If I don't have your log link, let me know - if you want to wait til
the beginning of the new year to start, that's fine. :)

We are now officially Team Lobo. :)

I'm there, but not my log link:
LINK

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 52 of 319
27 December 2013 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for getting us organized, Kerrie! Here's my log (linking to the page where I wrote out my goals for 2014):

my log

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5169 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 53 of 319
27 December 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for organizing this, Kerrie. Here is a link to my log. Link.

I am not going to create a new log for this. I will just use the same one I have been using to track my Spanish over the past couple years.

It is nice to see dbag participating in this. He has offered some very good advice and suggestions to me over the years.

When I read your post, Dale, I cannot help but get jealous. I don't know you in person or your situation, but I often regret not travelling more when I was younger. I have a house, a business and all sorts of other committments that make travelling more than two weeks impossible. Life is short... go for it if you want to... and enjoy it while you are young.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5189 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 54 of 319
27 December 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Everything should be updated to this point.

dbag wrote:
I would also like to spend up to a year living in a South American country, but as I turned 30 yesterday and really should think about buying a house etc. its 50-50 whether that will ever happen or not.

Go. Go, go, go, go, go. Buy a house later. :D

I am in my upper 30s, have children, and am looking forward to the day when they are old enough to be on their own so I can travel a little. (Although I am enjoying them while they are young, of course!) If you can go, then do it!

I am going to continue using my log from last year. I have renamed it and put a link at the front to find the beginning of TAC 2014.

Edited by Kerrie on 27 December 2013 at 8:49pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 55 of 319
28 December 2013 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
Buy a house now.
Live for a year in South America.

Amigo. If you can pull off a year abroad then do it!

Solfrid just announced that the next Super Challenge will also run 20 months, starting
in May. If it were a shorter challenge I might have tried to juggle languages, but
this makes my choice easier - it'll be Spanish for the gold! I'll be a part time
visitor until then, and then I'll be all in.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4416 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 56 of 319
28 December 2013 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
Please add me. My focus will be on reading and developing a more literate vocabulary.
Gracias. Mucha suerte.

Link to 2014 TAC Log

Edited by BAnna on 28 December 2013 at 6:48am

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version