Diglot
Canada
Joined 4222 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 217 of 319
17 February 2014 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Ok since i endorsed this idea i guess i better get on it before the month ends! I'll definitely be checking out what
everyone has posted so far. I work similarly to Stelle. I find a song that i like on youtube, print out the lyrics, often
translate bits (or all, it depends) and read tons on the word reference forums to find out what exactly the artist
meant by a particular phrase. Then i get it on my ipod (ahem... no comment on the legality) and listen to it lots on
my way to and from school so that its really stuck in my head and all the grammar structures and new words get
ingrained. I consider a song "complete" when i can recognize every single word and sing along to at least 80% of it. I
do this in batches of a few songs at a time so that my collection is always growing, and i make sure to listen to the
older songs as well so i don't forget them.

Time for suggestions! If beginners (or anyone, really) are looking for simple, repetitive songs with catchy rhythms
then i suggest Alex Cuba, who has produced songs like 2ZYztI">Directo, Solo tu, and
Si pero no. And come on, who doesn't love afros
and side burns.

My favourite artist right now is David Bisbal from Spain. I found him on the
international itunes top 10 lists
(interestingly enough, the only Spanish song on the spain list. It's crazy to see how american music is so dominant
everywhere). The song i like best is the one on the list, Diez
mil maneras
, but honourable mention goes to Mi
princesa
and Para enamorarte de mi.

I have a few more i could mention but i don't have time now, so just let me know if you're interested. I also have a
big list of Spanish artists sorted by country that my teacher gave me, and i could post a picture if anyone wants me
to.

Enjoy!

edit: sorry about the weird formatting. I don't know how to fix that...

Edited by Emily96 on 17 February 2014 at 1:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4816 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 218 of 319
17 February 2014 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
I wont have much time for either the forum or much Spanish the next few days, but I have put a new log post up here.

Well done to pointsdotslines for making a video!

For what its worth, my favorite Spanish song is Por el suelo by Manu Chao. I really like the clandestino album, but not really much of his other stuff. Although I have listened to relatively little Spanish music.
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 219 of 319
18 February 2014 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Stelle, it sounds like you would really enjoy
lyricstraining.com. Have you played around with it any?

No, not yet! I've heard good things about it, though. The truth is that my plate is pretty full. Adding lyrics training
would mean taking something else away - and I'm not willing to give up what I'm doing in Spanish right now
(reading novels, watching TV series, talking to tutors). But I'm definitely filing it away for the future when I have
more time!

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4416 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 220 of 319
21 February 2014 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Thanks to all for the great music recommendations, everybody! It's really been fun checking out new music and revisiting some old favorites.

Edit: Oh, and yes, I would love more...

Edited by BAnna on 21 February 2014 at 5:29am

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5141 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 221 of 319
26 February 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
February challenge

As a Tarantino fan it seems fitting that I chose a song from the soundtrack of one of his movies:
Malagueña Salerosa

Que bonitos ojos tienes
Debajo de esas dos cejas
Debajo de esas dos cejas
Que bonitos ojos tienes

Ellos me quieren mirar
Pero si tu nos los dejas
Pero si tu nos los dejas
Ni siquiera parpadear

Chorus:

Malagueña salerosa
Besar tus labios quisiera
Besar tus labios quisiera
Malagueña salerosa
Y decirte niña hermosa

Que eres linda y hechicera
Que eres linda y hechicera
Como el candor de una rosa

Si por pobre me desprecias
Yo te concedo razón
Yo te concedo razón
Si por pobre me desprecias

Yo no te ofrezco riquezas
Te ofrezco mi corazón
Te ofrezco mi corazón
A cambio de mi pobreza

Chorus

With the help of various online resources, I’ve put together a translation, but I have no idea of how bad it is. In particular, I found the second section really difficult to translate: I’m not even sure I got the gist of those lines.

Graceful Malagueñan

What beautiful eyes you have,
beneath those two eyebrows
beneath those two eyebrows
what beautiful eyes you have!

They want to look at me
If you would but let them
If you would but let them
You do not even blink

I’d like to kiss your lips
I’d like to kiss your lips
Graceful Malagueñan
And tell you, beautiful girl,

That you're pretty and bewitching
That you're pretty and bewitching
Like the candor of a rose

If you scorn me for being poor
I concede that you are right
I concede that you are right
If you scorn me for being poor

I don't offer you riches
I offer you my heart
I offer you my heart
In exchange for my poverty

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 222 of 319
26 February 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
February challenge

As a Tarantino fan it seems fitting that I chose a song from the soundtrack of one of his movies:
Malagueña Salerosa

Wow. I have mixed feelings here (just like I have regarding Tarantino -- as much as I like his movies, it irritates me how sloppy he usually is when trying to "do" foreign countries and languages, Spanish in particular -- remember the cabbie "Esmarelda" from Pulp Fiction? That was only the beginning :) The song is one of my all-time favourites, and this I consider a very poor rendition. What's with classical songs, that they always think trying to make them sound 'modern' is a good idea? Argh.

Quote:
With the help of various online resources, I’ve put together a translation, but I have no idea of how bad it is. In particular, I found the second section really difficult to translate: I’m not even sure I got the gist of those lines.

I don't think it makes much sense to translate something you don't understand beforehand. Even if you do it's often a difficult task. I would translate that second verse like this (mind how keeping the lines makes it sound odd):

They want to look at me
But you don't let them
But you don't let them
Even blink.

("you don't even let them blink" in a more natural English -- so, not far off in the end :)

For those who like to have music recommended at them, I am an all-out fan of these great (and late) artists of Mexican music: Miguel Aceves Mejía (the best, who also lived to a ripe old age), Pedro Vargas, and Jorge Negrete, Pedro Infante, and Vicente Fernández, in that order. These guys are just like Dolly Parton -- you may not like them but they make even bad songs sound good ;)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5141 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 223 of 319
26 February 2014 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
[...]
I don't think it makes much sense to translate something you don't understand beforehand. Even if you do it's often a difficult task. [...]

You’re absolutely right, but with something like Spanish an Italian may try and see if you can get away with translating “by ear”. Plenty of times it works, but most often you run the risk of making serious blunders. This time I was pretty confident not of my translation, but of the fact that you’d come by and correct me ;-) and so no great damage could be done!

As for Tarantino, I’m not an unconditional fan either, but when he started back in the ’90s I found that he really brought a new style and a new level of energy to movies and that was refreshing. As with everything successful, there have been plenty of imitators (maybe himself included) and the genre got a bit tired. But you can’t discount the impact his movies have had on filmmakers worldwide.

Edited by Emme on 26 February 2014 at 9:55pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 224 of 319
26 February 2014 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
I stumbled оn ѕоme оnlinе rеѕоurсеs hоstеd by thе Univеrѕity оf Техаѕ in Аuѕtin inсluding Cultural Interviews with Latin American and Spanish Executives which you may find handy for sharpening your passive abilities in business Spanish.

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version