Groupie
China
Joined 5793 days ago

47 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 81 of 164
05 March 2014 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Sorry I've been quiet. Moved to China a few weeks ago and only just got online. I have to
admit that I did very little Italian study in February apart from one language exchange
and a film. Hope March will be better. Do we have any challenges for March yet? How is
everyone else's language study going?
1 person has voted this message useful

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4429 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 82 of 164
05 March 2014 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
Why not a grammar-oriented challenge for March? Choose a grammar point you want to study thoroughly, or
a tricky one you wish to master, and try to write 20 sentences ( is 20 too much or too little ?) containing that
specific grammar point.
2 persons have voted this message useful

StarcrazyAngel
Triglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5793 days ago

47 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 83 of 164
05 March 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like a good idea to me. With 20 sentences I'm sure that grammar point would stick
in your head.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5001 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 84 of 164
06 March 2014 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
That grammar challenge sounds perfect - I was just about to write in my own log that I've decided it's about time to learn to use the passato remoto. I already understand it well since I've read a few books, but I can't use it very well and I was thinking that writing would be the best way to practise it. I've managed to get by fine without it so far, but recently I seem to have suddenly been having a lot more conversations about things that happened when I was young or when I was at school or the history of my family or whatever and I've been struggling.

I still haven't done the February challenge, as it was an extremely busy month! I'll try to catch up and get that done in the next few days.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 85 of 164
07 March 2014 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to practise the particles. Just saving some links that I found useful, maybe someone else also will :)

ne
mica
verbs like andarsene, cavarsela - I think I'll just look for examples and add them to anki.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 86 of 164
08 March 2014 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Before I write come up with more sentences: is this correct? (although the particles are my focus in this challenge, it's important for me to get the rest of the grammar right as well)

1. Ne ho visto ballando quando pensava che era solo. (quando pensava di stare solo)

can it be said that ne is sometimes the accusative of lui? also, *pensava che stava solo somehow seems wrong to me. or is it better to use fosse/stesse?
And I hope the literal meaning of "stare" doesn't clash with the actual meaning of the sentence?

wow what a long post about just one sentence :P

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 87 of 164
08 March 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I think after "pensava che" you'd generally use the congiuntivo.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Verbi di pensiero ed opinione

A differenza di altre lingue romanze, in Italiano i verbi di opinione e pensiero quali credere, pensare, ritenere, sostenere, reputare, ecc. reggono il congiuntivo nella proposizione subordinata:
    Penso che tutti siano ancora là.
    Il portiere sostiene che Marco sia andato a casa prima dell'incidente.
    Credo che fosse molto contento di essere stato promosso.

In questi casi, l'uso del congiuntivo è obbligatorio nell'italiano standard, soprattutto nel registro formale. L'uso dell'indicativo
    penso che tutti sono là

denota una sintassi meno sorvegliata ed è quindi sconsigliabile in diversi contesti (ad esempio nella lingua scritta).

EDIT: Also, did you mean pensava or pensavo?

Edited by Crush on 08 March 2014 at 5:54pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 88 of 164
08 March 2014 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I meant pensava.
io pensavo, lui/lei pensava

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version