1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 33 of 164
20 December 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
StarcrazyAngel wrote:
Ciao a tutti,
Mi chiamo Abigail e sono inglese. Ho cominciato ad imparare l’italiano in 2002
all’università. Nel terzo anno della mia laurea ho vissuto a Bologna per 9 mesi ed in
questo periodo mi sono inamorata della cultura Italiana. Il mio lavoro attutale non mi
permette di utilizzare le mie lingue, quindi sono qui per mantenere il mio Italiano in
buona salute ed allo stesso tempo conoscere altre persone che amano questa bella lingua

Che bello - io sono stato due volte a Bologna e adoro la città! Ed è anche ben collegata: da Bologna si può andare facilmente a Firenze, Milano, Venezia... anche per raggiungere Roma ci si mette soltanto un paio d'ore. Spero di tornarci l'anno prossimo! Poi, rimpiango di non aver fatto un anno all'estero: se volevo potevo andare in Germania o in Italia ma all'epoca l'idea non mi interessava... è incredibile come le cose cambiano!

(it goes without saying that anything I write in Italian is up for correction!)
1 person has voted this message useful

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4396 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 34 of 164
20 December 2013 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
@garyb You didn't make a lot of mistakes. I'm only going to point out a couple of things :)

We don't really use hyphens, in this case you could either replace it with a comma or add an exclamation mark after "che bello" and then start a new sentence.

"stato due volte a Bologna e adoro la città": no grammar mistakes here, but it would sound more natural to say something like "…stato due volte a Bologna e la adoro" (that "la" refers to Bologna). Having both Bologna and città wouldn't sound redundant if you write a longer sentence, though. For example: "Sono stato due volte a Bologna e trovo che sia una città bellissima".

"Poi, rimpiango di": no comma here. And instead of "poi" I would start the sentence with "e" or say "Rimpiango anche…". That "anche" links what you said before (I hope to visit Italy again) to what you are saying now (I regret…). You could also merge the two sentences into one.

"se volevo potevo andare": here it would be better to use another tense, the condizionale passato because you are talking about an action that you could have done, but didn't do and, since it's past, cannot do any more. The sentence becomes: "Se avessi voluto sarei potuto andare" or, to make it shorter, "Sarei potuto andare".
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 35 of 164
24 December 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Ciao ragazzi!

And that's about all I know.

I'll be observing your team for the first part of the year, at least. Or, as Kerrie
put it, stalking (that should be a new category).

I studied some Italian a couple years ago for a trip to Rome, and loved the rhythms of
the language. I have another trip to Florence for a week this Spring, so I'll be trying
to refresh the language & hopefully progress a bit further in it.

My initial resources will be FSI FAST and Pimsleur. Sometime in January I'll have to
make the choice about how to proceed. Option 1, I'll go with a vocabulary-heavy course
like Living Language (I loved their new Japanese course), and just focus on being a
good tourist. Option 2, I'll go with Assimil and aim for a deeper understanding of the
language, with the intent of continuing on past my travels.

My log is here:
kanewai

agta
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 5318 days ago

43 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 36 of 164
24 December 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Ciao a tutti!

If you accept me as a team member, I'll be happy to join the team. This year I'm going to focus more on Italian. I'm currently at about A2 level and my goal is to reach B1+.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5001 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French

Message 37 of 164
27 December 2013 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
I've updated the members list now and added kanewai and agta. If any people or log links are missing then tell me; I'm a bit busy and disorganised at the moment!

Thanks a lot for the feedback suzukaze! Looks like my knowledge of these "informal" conditional forms isn't quite as good as I thought. I know the "by the book" ones well, and they work quite the same as in English and French, but I read and hear the "informal" ones using the imperfect indicative quite a lot. For example my friend in Bologna said that she would have joined me on my trip to Venice if she hadn't had an exam to study for, and I'm quite sure she said "se non avevo l'esame venivo con te". But this was the day before the Venice trip, so the "by the book" equivalent could have been "se non avessi l'esame verrei con te" as opposed to the "se non avessi avuto... sarei venuta..." that would have been appropriate after the fact. The book "Io non ho paura" also makes heavy use of these forms. My grammar book covers all this so I might need to revise it!

Edited by garyb on 27 December 2013 at 3:10pm

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5855 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 38 of 164
27 December 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Scusa, Gary, non ti ho dato l'indirizzo del mio log. Eccolo.

By the way, the Italian language is tricky, because it has to live with all the dialects it superceded some 150 years ago. Some of these dialects are so different that they gained recognition as languages (of course, part of it is politics, so no more here).

Anyway, we must be conscient that actual spoken Italian will differ from region to region, and some of it is not proper Italian at all.

Disclaimer: this comment is not connected with suzukaze's corrections in any way.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5189 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 39 of 164
27 December 2013 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I'll continue using my old log. There's a link on the first page to the start of TAC 2014. I probably won't be focusing on Italian until 2015, but I"ll be watching you guys anyways. :)

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5855 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 40 of 164
30 December 2013 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
It's hard to believe this team is falling behind when it comes to choosing a name.

Come on, people! This is the Italian team! We can choose a thousand names that will identify us beyond a shadow of a doubt!

Just to get the ball rolling, I propose team Dante.

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version