Joined 5001 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 129 of 164
11 July 2014 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
agantik wrote:
@ Tutti
I need your advice. I ´m going to spend a few days in Rome in August and I'd like to bring back some books
for the Super Challenge. Does anyone know the address of a second hand bookshop where I can find cheap
novels to read?
Thanks in advance! (Any suggestion as far as visits, must-sees ...are concerned is welcome too!)

If you're going to be there on a Sunday, the Porta Portese market in Trastevere is definitely worth checking out. There were several stalls selling books for 5 euros or less, and DVDs (including ones of TV series) from 1 euro upwards. Sadly I couldn't buy very much as had limited time and luggage space, but I found a lot of interesting-looking stuff. I'm sure there are also second-hand bookshops with similar or better selections, but I don't know them. I did see quite a few around the University area but they seemed to mostly focus on textbooks.

While Rome wasn't my favourite Italian city, I liked the Trastevere area a lot in general, it has a nice atmosphere and there are a lot of reasonably-priced bars and restaurants so it's a good place to go in the evening for a meal or drink. San Lorenzo is similar too, and full of young people. As for sightseeing, there's obviously tons of things, I suppose it depends on what you're interested in!
2 persons have voted this message useful

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4429 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 130 of 164
11 July 2014 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both for your recommandations! Indeed I will be there on a Sunday and the Trastevere was on my
hit list anyway ;)

Edited by agantik on 11 July 2014 at 9:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 131 of 164
11 July 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
I'd love to do something like a Skype session but in my experience these things never work out: people talk about them enthusiastically but it tends to be all talk and no action. Same with most language exchanges. People are unreliable. Says me who hasn't signed into Skype for several weeks. Still, I proposed it at the start and I'll propose it again now: if people are seriously interested in organising a Skype session then say so and we'll see what we can do, although I'm also guilty of having quite an erratic schedule so I have a hard time organising anything.
If people are into this, i would love to join in. There are a group of people who get together for weekly Welsh hangouts on Google Hangouts, it's pretty informal and flows back and forth between Welsh and English, something similar with Italian would be nice. If you can make it, great! If not, don't sweat it, we'll just see you next week. What would you say to a weekly Skype session or Google Hangout? Find a day and time that most interested people can get online and avanti! Even if only two people can get online, it's better than no people getting online. But you can count me in for a weekly Skype meeting :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4396 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 132 of 164
13 July 2014 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
if people are seriously interested in organising a Skype session then say so and we'll see what we can do

My schedule is quite hectic, but I'd be happy to adjust it and take part to the meeting :)

agantik wrote:
Does anyone know the address of a second hand bookshop where I can find cheap novels to read?

I asked a friend of mine who comes from Rome and she told me this website has a good selection of bookshops, comic shops and stands that sell used books. Just scroll down the page you'll see that there is a large section dedicated to Rome.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ccaesar
Triglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 3589 days ago

84 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German
Studies: Italian

Message 133 of 164
13 July 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
suzukaze wrote:
garyb wrote:
if people are seriously interested in organising
a Skype session then say so and we'll see what we can do

My schedule is quite hectic, but I'd be happy to adjust it and take part to the meeting
:)

agantik wrote:
Does anyone know the address of a second hand bookshop where I can find
cheap novels to read?

I asked a friend of mine who comes from Rome and she told me
this website has a good selection
of bookshops, comic shops and stands that sell used books. Just scroll down the page
you'll see that there is a large section dedicated to Rome.

Sounds fantastic that everyone is interested in skyping!! We will need to add each
other then, and find a date and time :D

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4396 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 

Message 134 of 164
14 July 2014 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
Ccaesar wrote:
Sounds fantastic that everyone is interested in skyping!! We will need to add each other then, and find a date and time :D

I never public my Skype ID, but I'd be happy to share it via PM with whoever wants to join the meeting :)

Ccaesar
Triglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 3589 days ago

84 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German
Studies: Italian

Message 135 of 164
14 July 2014 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
I would like to be in if possible :)

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4396 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 

Message 136 of 164
14 July 2014 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Ccaesar wrote:
I would like to be in if possible :)

PM sent ;)

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version