Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 89 of 415
31 January 2014 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:

Good thing it worked! If I may ask, what's the extension you're using with chrome? I
don't like having to go on firefox just to download the videos :p

It ws the first one I found, Video Downloader Professional. Just googled for Chrome
video downloader, it's the first result, at Chrome Webstore.

yuhakko wrote:

Hahaha, I wish it was! The thing is that my reading is "alright" thanks to my knowledge
of Japanese but grammar and vocabulary wise... that's a different story. I think you're
actually much more advanced than I am! Hopefully in 6 months that'll be the other way
around ;)

I hope so, too! Hope you'll take the best out of your internship, and will start giving
us great tips on the language and life in China.

Ogrim wrote:
It is "syvsovere".

[...]

A great thing about this forum, you learn a lot of new stuff by the comment and
questions of others. And by the way, you have a very interesting log, I really enjoy
reading it.

Thanks Ogrim! Re 'sysovere', I wrote it exactly the way I saw it at the book, Ogrim,
even though I know it's syv (I even looked it up as syvsovere). The book makes use of
some alternative spelling here and there, even though it's plain bokmål.

The story behind it is very interesting, thanks! We do learn a lot by commenting on
others' logs, you're absolutely right.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4435 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 90 of 415
31 January 2014 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Thanks Ogrim! Re 'sysovere', I wrote it exactly the way I saw it at the book, Ogrim, even though I know it's syv (I even looked it up as syvsovere). The book makes use of some alternative spelling here and there, even though it's plain bokmål.

The story behind it is very interesting, thanks! We do learn a lot by commenting on
others' logs, you're absolutely right.

It could be just a typo in the book, I've never seen the form "sysover" before. However, if it is in a dialogue or said by one of the characters, it might be intentional, and the author wants somehow to show that the character doesn't know the right form of the word. I don't have the book available, so I can't really check it. It's been ages since I read Beatles.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 91 of 415
31 January 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Now for an updated.

The issue with my job is settled. Staying late in the evening, getting ready for 8,
sometimes 9, occasionally 10 pm extra work. Language learning might not be affected,
though I need some adjustments due to the audio-video block. First issue is with
Memrise, I simply couldn't load my updated progress today at my old tablet at work:
<<We can't download your course progress right now>>. I'll have to invert it to the
morning right after Anki, I'll have a couple more hours left after the gym and before I
get to work. Duolingo works but it is troublesome to do it at work, especially the
exercises where we're supposed to read out loud. I'll see how it evolves, though,
people are already familiar with my Georgian and Chinese studies and won't be much
troubled with me saying something in German out loud.

Another productive study of Georgian. Sometimes I think it is my main language, though
I do invest more time on Chinese. I learned to have an opinion by using მე მიმაჩნია - I
consider (so far I only knew მე მგონია. I also learned the important expression რა
საწყენია - what a pity. I already knew სამწუხარად which is unfortunately, but it's rather
an adverb than a standalone sentence.

This Basic Georgian is indeed to be kept at any learner's shelves. The most important
info I read about rather scatteredly at Aronson's, Tschenkéli's, Hewitt's is clearly
systematized and hierarchized at Makharoblidze's. At today's lesson I got another
useful chart for the confusing verbs 'to sit', 'to stand', 'to lie' as well as for 'to
give'. They all change radicals throughout tenses and 'to sit' even changes radicals
from singular to plural. The verb 'to give' has an interesting feature. When I or you
give something to a 3rd person, the prefix მი is used, as it denotes moving away from
the speakers (cf. მივდივარ, I come). When it's the 3rd person who gives something to me
or to you, the prefix used is მო, which denotes moving towards the speakers (cf.
მოვდივარ - I come). So, it's not just an 'irregularity', it has a neat logic of its
own.

I believe I'll get used to browsing through Basic Georgian and will end up memorizing
where is each important stuff, given its importance and effectiveness. 9 more lessons
and I'll finish it as a textbook and keep using it as a reference work.

Today's TY Russian on adjectival declension was insane. The author apologized and
presented 90 sentences to translate from Russian and 90 into Russian. This is simply
insane! It's not just a matter of making me lose much time. It's simply not didactical
or pedagogical. Fortunately next lesson has only 25 sentences each way.

Well, schedule done, I'll go home. Still have to read the Papiamento book, but I'm
coping with that. Maybe next week I'll start bringing it to work as I'll stay longer
here.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 92 of 415
03 February 2014 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
First day of the new routine. Not bad. I have 1h30 more hours free in the morning, and
I have to organize myself to start textbook studying before coming down to work. Today
I only listened to the English episode and went through the Chinese podcast. I should
have worked with an activity that demands more focus, such as the Basic Georgian
lesson, and leave the listening-only activities for busier times at work. I'll learn to
manage these practical issues later. 9 hours is enough time even if I was rather slow
today. I think that's the point exactly, learning to slow down, stopping to do things
on a rush.

I finished the schedule and still have 2 hours to go which I should learn to use
wisely. I brought the Papiamento book because I won't have time when I arrive. There
are issues with audio/video, for example, with Memrise, which I'll have to incorporate
at the early morning routine. What I want to avoid is random browsing to kill the
remaining time, because it leaves me dizzy and much more tired than if I were
studying/reading.

Now for individual activities:

I finished HSK 1 at Memrise. I decided to simply delete the course after I completed
all levels. I started HSK2 and so far there are only repeated characters. I wonder how
it is like. HSK 1 had 400 characters and HSK 2 has 625. On the one hand, I hope there
are more new characters than only this 625 interval. On the other hand, I'm afraid of
missing the less used and obscure characters form HSK 1 if I ever get down to doing the
exam. I have no idea how it works, anyway.

The eternal issue with Travel in Chinese. I learned to download the videos from CNTV
site, but since yesterday they aren't loading at all. So, today I had to work with
barely the lesson at Youtube. But that's just part one, and today is a review lesson.
So I actually missed 2/3 of the lesson. I'll give it a try when I get home, but I won't
worry too much about that. It's meaningless to spend more time preparing material to
study and worrying about that than actually studying. The review lessons aren't that
great either. They present the videos again while commenting on the video's subjects
wtih foreign students which are always the same, alternating among 4 or 5.

I finished watching Le dîner de cons. That was yesterday. Today I finished watching
episode 2 for the series Mediums. I'm just finishing this post and will start the film
Mon meilleur ami.

Other than that, I think it was wise to work a little bit slowly, especially for German
and Russian, which are indeed the languages that put the most difficulty as I'm at
lower levels and am using only textbooks so far.

It's still early to decide if I can add up more resources now that I have 9 hours. or
if that will just contribute to burnout. I'll probably invest on watching films because
that's a pastime after all. Reading can be much more tiresome, as I already read a lot
from forums and groups.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 93 of 415
03 February 2014 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
I simply love the Georgian letters, and I am so envious of your study routine :-)

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5058 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 94 of 415
03 February 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator is hard core! If we all had that kind of discipline... !

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4655 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 95 of 415
04 February 2014 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
If we all had that kind of discipline... !

If i wouldn't have my mental crises... I'd already beat some polyglots. Well, at least Benny Lewis.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4154 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 96 of 415
04 February 2014 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Expugnator is hard core! If we all had that kind of discipline... !

In deed. A very clear mind too.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version