Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 65 of 415
20 January 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
So, today everything took much longer than expected. I lost time with other activities,
but the worst of all were the videos at CCTV. I don't know why they freeze and buffer
for so long. My connection isn't that bad. I tried to find other sources for the series
'Travel in Chinese', but I couldn't. So, a video that would take 14 minutes took almost
an hour at stop & go.

I'm really glad I got the Basic Georgian. It's doing wonders, it's like I'm filling in
the blanks left by other books which were so outdated or too grammar-centered. I'
learning quite much from doing the exercises as well as from writing those dialogues on
my own. Doing the reading has also been a pleasure.

As for Russian, I really enjoyed lesson 3 at the old TY. That's the way to go. I'll
keep doing these translation exercises. Even though I may miss audio for a while, I'm
going to finally learn properly some important grammar and vocabulary.

Regarding German, I'm done with German Without Toil! Finally! It really has a steep
vocabulary curve and neverending notes, just like its Russian counterpart, but at least
I had the background from my previous attempts and from Norwegian. Now I'm supposed to
find O novo alemão sem esforço a walk in the park, but one never knows.

I'd like to share a nice Norwegian birthday song I heard at today's Himmelblå episode.
Don't know how widespread it is.

Hurra for deg som fyller ditt år.
Ja, deg vil vi gratulere.

Alle i ring omkring deg vi står.
Og se, nå vil vi marsjere.

Bukke, nikke, neie,
snu oss omkring...

Ønske deg av hjertet alle gode ting,
og si meg så, hva vil du mere.
Gratulere.

1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4435 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 66 of 415
21 January 2014 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Hi Expugnator, the birthday song is very widespread, indeed it is the most common birthday song in Norway. Here is a youtube clip of the song being performed at a concert in honour of the 75th anniversary of the Norwegian King and Queen. There are pleny of other verisons on youtube as well.

The lyrics are by Margrethe Munthe, a school teacher and prolific children's song writer from end of 19th/beginning of 20th century. She is most known for her "educational" song texts, telling children how to behave. You can find some examples of her songs here if you are interested.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 67 of 415
22 January 2014 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
So, it's time for a new update. Yesterday was mainly routine, I really don't like repeating myself. Today I'll try to note down some things I've
noticed.

I think I am ready to absorb more information at once in Chinese. I have little difficulty with Travel in Chinese's dialogues - and much trouble with
the streaming that freezes all the time. Ssme goes for the podcast lesson, it's still small chunks of Chinese which I can chew likewise. The good
thing to notice is that I'm able to focus on new words. The whole sentence doesn't seem a blur anymore, and I can spot what needs to be worked on
first. On the other hand, since my only actual reading resource are the fables, I'm having no training at formal contemporary texts such as news and
articles. Wish I could find a similar book with pinyin, translation and audio, but the ones I've checked so far don't have pinyin or translation, only
a glossary. And that puts me down to losing time with looking up words - even worse if it's characters I have no pinyin for and therefore need to draw
them. This is a luxury I can't allow myself, so, for the moment, I'm sticking to what I have. Once I'm done with Everyday Fables in about two months,
I'll have to find a resource that suits my current needs. Most foreign-published textbooks might have become easy by that time, which is a good thing
after all. Anyway, I need to learn how an average Chinese clause is structured in a news text, namely complex, subordinate clauses. All in all, I'm
happy with progress so far. Even though I feel illiterate , I can see myself talking in Chinese if I get the chance. I'm enjoying Memrise a lot, I'm
halfway through HSK 1 course and I benefited a lot from learning characters in depth. I want to finish up to the HSK3 course and maybe I can try the
exam, since I already learned a lot of characters from other sources. I have no idea how many I can recognize, though. Sinc yesterday I started doing
Memrise while listening to something else in the background. Not ideal, I know, but can save up time in busier days. Another less harmful tactic would
be to do the reps while checking the forum.

It's funny how with a distant language I usually get to active B1 before passive B1. I can make myself understood in a wide range of subjects in
Georgian and Chinese, but I msy not understand simpler texts due to lack of vocabulary, while within the Romance language family I'd probably benefit
from a lot of cognates. The only way to fight this feeling is more and more study. In the case of Georgian i'm successfully combining active and
passive, while in Chinese I'm still focusing on daily life conversation and thus get to repeat myself too often. Btw, I finished the film Svani. The
issue with the clans seem absurd. I'll probably stick to contemporary Tbilisi soap opera then :D

I don't know how is my situation with German. I've started Le nouvel allemand sans peine and it's easy. If it weren't for the endless, redundant
notes, I'd be able to move faster than 7 lessons a day. Since I'm getting a good aural training at Duolingo, I may consider using my deadest time to
just read through some lessons. I've done this for Russian with no bad feelings. I'm glad I could recognize the rule for adding an -e to the definite
adjective, that saves up time.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty much happy with TY lessons. It was a good idea to go through all those conversational textbooks and leaving a systematic
approach to grammar for this very moment, at which I have a good repertoire of conversational sentences and things start to look familiar, and I've
also read most about the grammar - I just didn't get down to learning endings, and that's what I can do now with the old TY with much less pressure.

Now much on Norwegisn. I go through some hard excerpts at the book Beatles, mainly description paragraphs, but overall it's getting easier, I
believe. It's no longer a time-consuming activity. I do need to get down and write more dialogues. I just don't know what to write about. Sometimes
dialogues pop up in my head but I'm not close to the computer or a piece of paper. I've started translating lyrics automatically in my head, from
Brazilian songs into Norwegian, which is funny but also a sign that I'm improving. I might give this a try at this forum one day.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 68 of 415
23 January 2014 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Today I was glad to notice I am much faster at translating from English to Georgian!
The exercises at Basic Georgian didn't take long. They were made of shorter phrases,
indeed, but I think I'm actually starting to think faster in Georgian. I'm doing
similar exercises in Russian but it's much slower obviously, one of the reasons being
the exaggerated number of words introduced at each lesson at TY. In Basic Georgian I
also get many words but I already know many of them. That shows me something else, that
my Russian still haven't catched up with my Georgian as I suposed it would happen. I
based this assumption on the fact that Russian is an IE language and that the quality
of the resources is better overall, but I've been through a critical point at Georgian
at which I know more familiar words at each text and I've been through most textbooks
and became aware with most of the grammar. Russian is still far behind, at a distant
stage.

Those version exercises are also important for my German, but I will start writing them
down only when I start the intermediate Assimils, which might happen in a month and a
half.

Back to Georgian, I was excited when I looked at the title of today's text at 'A
Gergian Reader': "Three ways of dating". I thought "I'm finally going to have a
lighter, more up-to-date, maybe even humorous text. I got disappointed the very first
line when I saw the word 'manuscript' :P

I lost my patience with Travel in Chinese and the bad quality of streaming at CNTV.
Today I struggled for long and ended up finding an Youtube video, almost two hours
later than my usual time. From tomorrow on, I decided to take just the text for the
dialogue/translation and the notes from CNTV site and then watch only the dialogue
which I can find at YT. I didn't manage to find the full lessons at YT starting from
the second tenth, and that's why I'm struggling at CNTV which I don't usually do, but
now that I noticed there's no way out and it only gets worse, I'll have to do without
DaShan's explanations. We'll see, maybe back at the computers I normally use the video
will load normally.

Papiamento is quite easy, both the novel - few new words - and the videos - comfortable
understanding. Reminds me that I really deserve to keep working on the book I'm
planning.

I watched the first episode of a series, dubbed in French, yday, and that was off -
schedule. It's really easy to follow dubbed French, and I got the subtitles just to
make sure I didn't miss important stuff, as it was the first episode. Next time I'm
going to either watch it dubbed in French w/o subtitles or get the original in English
anyway. But this is really for leisure time, it's an additional step to combine leisure
and language learning, it's not part of my routine. I'm going to start Le dîner des
cons as part of today's routine.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 69 of 415
24 January 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
It took me 16 hours by bus to get home from my parents'. I avoided the plane this time
too, after realizing the airline was tracking cookies to raise the fare every time I
made a research. Well, I'm quite used to such long trips and I'm still on holidays. I
slept over 10 hours out of these 16, so, it was ok.

While at the bus, I managed to do everything that could be done at the tablet without
using my files or the internet. I read the French novel, the Georgian reader and the
Georgian novel, read the whole lesson at Basic Georgian and left only the version
exercises to be done at home. I also read all the notes to the 7 lessons of Assimil Le
Nouvel Allemand Sans Peine I studied today, leaving the text & the exercises to read
and listen at home. And I read Tuttle's Flashcards and the explanations to Teach
Yourself Russian. I know I'm still too dependant on internet + desktop at my routine
and I have to work on optimizing that, but I'm relieved it worked out eventually. I got
home at 11h30, had lunch, started studying, went to the gym and the groceries' and
resume studying until now, half past eight pm.

Listening to Beatles got much faster. I can look up words while the audio is
playing, then quickly read/skim and regain track of the text. Quite productive. I also
feel more attached to the story now. I realized the 60's is a period before the oil
made Norwegian the richest country, so it's a huge change in perspective! Learning a
lot from the book. It complements Himmelblå which deals with contemporary lives.

I gave up on Travel in Chinese when it freezed at about 6:50 minutes. Will stick to
plan mentioned yday: study the dialogue the way I'm studying now - which only gets
easier, as I recognize more and more words - then play the dialogue at YT and read the
remaining notes at CNTV's site. I have to paste some of these sentences at GT to get
full pronunciation, but sometimes I'm surprised by how I already know some of them
beforehand.

I'm happy with the synergy created by the whole set of Chinese resources I have.
Memrise is doing great, even though I reached a time with too much watering. I know
it's temporary, since the course only has 400 items. I believe I can do it, considering
it's something I can do in background to something else.

The French film 'Le dîner des cons' is simply terrific. A quite smart film, despite its
title. And I'm glad I'm not only having a good understanding of the spoken language
(well, it's easier than contemporary comedies as it tries to parodise this 'nobility'
atmosphere and therefore is a more 'soutenu' language, but still...), I'm also
following the jokes and laughing altogether!
3 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4154 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 70 of 415
25 January 2014 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
I also want to get away from my pc/internet when it comes to languages. It's useful but it's not good that sometimes we depend on it. I still use good old fashioned dictionaries rather than look up a word online, because I seem to learn the word better if I work for it.

Nice log Expugnator.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 71 of 415
27 January 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
So, another day is over and it took me longer than expected to finish off with the
whole schedule. I really need to watch it out and maybe find means of shortening it, as
tomorrow I resume working and it may be much less calmer.

I have two weeks to finish Basic Georgian, which is perhaps the most time-consuming
activity, as the lessons are rather long and involve translating into Georgian. I don't
regret it at all, and I would stick to it even if all the rest would perish. It's a
final investment I'm making into the language and it's been profitable after 15
installments out of 28.

I may now acknowledge that the A2 stage prior to native materials' introduction may be
the worst in language learning. I'm doing lesson 36 of Le nouvel allemand sans peine. I
simply can't stand the lenghty and redundancy of Assimil's notes. I won't just skip
them because I want to do this book only once and I shall not live with the feeling
that I left 'important' notes unread. Therefore, I've decided to systematically read
the notes and fill-in-the-blanks exercises before playing the recordings with the
lesson's text and exercises. I'll do this for this volume and for the 2k's L'Allemand.
Then I will start the intermediate courses and everything is gonna be different: I'll
have to slow down to 1 lesson a day and I believe the notes will be novelty and
interesting again by that time. I'll have to have found time for native resources,
though. I have the film 'Das Leben des Anders' but my first resources will probably
just be translated books.

Since I was late for most of the morning, I tried to catch up by watching XiYangYang
while having lunch. It wasn't the best experience, because I couldn't concentrate
enough to follow the subtitles. Maybe in a better stage. I also watched today's excerpt
for 'Le dîner de cons' and I stuck to subtitles given the circumstances.

I have realized that the old TY Russian does have a way too old-fashioned and useless
vocabulary, and this is preventing me from learning the grammar more accurately. My
brain simply can't focus that much when the sentence being translated is "The captain
is paying the soldiers". I believe I tend to pay more attention at the sentence as a
whole when it is more meaningful, and that includes the grammar involved, as much as
the declension patterns. Don't know if that is the case with anyone else. Anyway, will
stick to the plan for the time being. I don't know which resource could replace it now,
maybe Penguin's or some grammar from Routledge. 30 lessons more will mean 1 month and a
half, that's not much considering that I'm stuck at a low-middle A2 for Russian.

I've got the official list of languages available for iBooks, and that will restrict
the languages I can read more comfortably in epub format. Norwegian is out, but Chinese
and German are in.

Found today's Travel in Chinese lesson 24 split into 3 parts at Youtube. Won't have the
same luck tomorrow, though (already checked).

Now this dialogue, which happened in fact (online, though). Pay attention to the video
suggested =D :

- Jeg er så trøtt av å lære språk!
- Så må du høre musikk.
- Haha. Jeg må fremdeles se den filmen.
- Jeg har ennå ikke sett den.
- Det finnes ingen BDRip ennå.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 72 of 415
27 January 2014 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Looks like you are still making progress! I admire your
discipline! Any advice for Chinese?

Edited by tarvos on 28 January 2014 at 11:26am

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version