Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4127 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 169 of 415
28 March 2014 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Good Lord, I wish I had your planning skills. I can't even juggle two languages, let
alone 6 or 7.

I'll be doing some Georgian this month and next, as I will be heading there for 3 weeks
in May. I have no grand goals, just to be able to read a few signs and get around, and
hopefully what I'm purchasing at the shop.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 170 of 415
28 March 2014 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
milesaway: good news! Hope you enjoy it! I'd like to hear about it in your log, I still haven't made my mind if I really
want to visit Georgia soon.

Get the alphabet done straight away, it won't take much time and will help you get down both the International and the
Russian cognates,

What I can recommend you is Assimil's 'Le Géorgien de Poche' (which is an adaption from Kauderwelsch's Georgisch Wort für
Wort, so, the audio from Kauderwelsch's probably works for Assimil) which is more than a simple phrasebook, plus Beginner's
Georgian (which doesn't teach you much unfortunately) and to search for more conversational material online. If you want
basic audio, there's the course from ice.ge but it's all in Georgian so you'd have to navigate through numbers and get the
mp3 files.

There's Armazi's grammar that gives you an accurate overview and doesn't overly complicates like most grammars out there.

Also at Parlons Géorgien you have a good overview, it's also a sort of an enhanced phrasebook, only that it lacks audio.

======================================
So, today we had a power shortage early in the morning, which allowed me for a cold shower after the gym and prevented me
from watching Tutu. I haven't given up, though. In case I don't manage to watch it after work, I've already watched
XiYangYang. I think it was a wise idea, because I realized I can understand more now than before. With the appropriate
context, I can understand more from XiYangYang than from Tutu, despite being amore loose context with sheep and wolves.

Memrise was also missing - it requires an internet connection - and I still hope I can finish it.

I started Méthode 90 Russe. Only two lessons - I forgot to bring the audio, and the lessons were too easy to bother with
writing down the exercises, but I've promised to myself that I'm going to do it, 'coz that's an ultimate opportunity for
activating my Russian. I'll keep working on two lessons till it becomes too hard again.

I had the second part of a lecture on copyrights, which was actually part of work but came in handy. I have several doubts
solved for whenever I decide to publish something and need to quote native material. Besides, I got a contact in case I need
consulting.

Now, I should thank Chung once again for presenting me to Culture Talk! I started it for Georgian, and it is going to work
wonderfully! The texts/videos are short but straight to the point. People speak very fast but decyphering the sound is
possible, and actual comprehension speed will come with time, I know. Also, the fact that the lessons are mostly short
allowed me to do two in a row, which I will try as much as possible to do. That means it will take me 'only' three months to
finish this resource.

Speaking of speed, I really improved reading in Norwegian and Georgian. I'm reading extensively in Norwegian quite fast, and
following the story properly. As for Georgian, I'm almost at a level at which I can follow the subtitles in Georgian and in
Portuguese without worrying about pausing for decyphering stuff.

Since I mentioned subtitles, I ran into this guide
on how to watch with 2 subtitles at a time (the point of my TediSubs app, but which i'd like to extend for movies in
general). Will give it a try at a calmer day. It's not necessary for languages like Norwegian but I could use both
approaches for Chinese and do need this one for Russian.

I'd like also to mention this Tilde Translator develop specially for the Baltic
languages (regardless the family) and which claims to do a much better job than GT. Good news for someone who wants to start
Estonian!

Today I might have had a better time at understand the French film Tais-toi without subtitles. I have to keep trying.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 171 of 415
31 March 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
The weekend

It was a productive weekend! One that didn't miss hanging out, chilling, meeting
friends, but also saw some language learning. Kept up with Anki and Memrise in both
days, as well as with Tuttle Flashcards. Finished one book which is not language-
related. Watched one episode of Tutu at the tablet! It works better and the ads run for
a short time, sometimes no ads even. Also, Hewitt's A Structural Grammar is now a thing
of the past. I regard this book as the best work from Hewitt so far. It is a reference
work, and does well its job. OTOH, even the final reading excerpts are better on it
than at the other works: better laid out, with literal translation and normal
translation. Funny how he managed to be more didactical in a work that was meant for
linguists, so he didn't need to be that ditactical. Still the sample sentences that
betray a disdain for Georgian, but I've learned to cope with that. It's a book to keep
closer to you because it is among the easiest ones where to find that specific verb
form you need to learn.

On Sunday afternoon, I tried to join Sharedtalk or talk at Skype, but no luck. No
contacts online for my languages at Skype; at Sharedtalk's voicechat, everyone was
already engaged; at the text chat, same as Skype. I only managed to talk some Chinese
with a girl from Vietnam. she was kind and helpful but I was already running out of
time back then. All in all, I'm suffering from a lack of practice for my target
languages and this is part of today's rant (watch out, it's coming) after three months
in 2014.

My wife and I resumed English classes which were cut out from Monday evenings since I
started working full-time. We kept working on the textbook and after 1 hour we decided
to go for music. So I introduced her to Lyrics Training and she liked it a lot! I
decided to give it a try later (for French) and, while my listening skills aren't that
bad, I've come accross so many unknown words in the pop, mainstream songs I found that
I may suspect my French is far from fluency after all.

This morning

I couldn't sleep properly and didn't wake up really well. Fortunately, I just got a 10
minutes more rest and could stand up and do everything as planned: gym, groceries,
study. Most of the times a short rest consisting of just lying on my bed trying to
forget about time will be enough for me to recover and keep working. I don't use any
medidation techniques and never did, but I'm working on emptying my mind all by myself
sometimes. I like the results so far: I used to have a strident roar when I was younger
and now I manage to focus more often.

Memrise took a hell of a time again. I had 130 items to water - I should have done more
watering last evening. I decided to do the new chapter first, and yet I finished it all
at just about time to leave home. I even left Anki and Tuttle's flashcards to finish
later (which I already did).

Tutu is even easier to follow, technically speaking, now that I opened it at the
tablet. I leave the tab open with the links to the whole first season. Content-wise, I
am more and more attached to the story and understand a good deal to have some fun
with, in spite of the occasional blanks that make me thirsty for more cultural
references.

Daily routine and trimonthly evaluation

It is not something I've done before, but rant got to a point at which I need to let
some thoughts out a bit. I've realized how long I've been at the game and how little
I've achieved in terms of profficiency, which probably tells a lot about how little
efficiency my studies have represented so far.

My most urgent decision is to try to focus a bit more intensively at each activity, not
doing them just en passant. Even if I can grasp the meaning, it is important to
take a look at how the sentence is built, that is, doing the job of literal
translations Assimil does on its own (and which I would sometimes skip nonetheless).

I'm still not impressed with my lack of efficiency and I sense it has something to do
with not going to the essence of the things. I also have to work around my lack of
people to practice with for most languages, and my lack of motivation for practicing
for others. I realize that that "speak from day 1" euphoria only leads you so far as to
a tourist level conversation, and all in all, the only language at which I haven't
reached this level yet is Russian. Yet doing this repetitive talk is still the door for
more complex conversations, as the recent conversations with the Georgians I've become
acquainted with have shown.

All in all, I'm still focusing too much on input. I am gathering interesting
information from different places, not only from language-learning, but even those
thanks to language-learning to some extent, and I'm not being able to talk about it
with people. I'd like to have deeper conversations about interesting topics. You know,
"papo de boteco" (a bar's talk) as we would say in Brazil. As much as this momentum is
something hard to achieve - even more now that I do this less and less often - I still
feel egoistical for reading so much and not using that knowledge to interact with other
people and share experiences. I still have mostly superficial context while seemingly
buried in my own world. On the other hand, it is hard to write about one's experience
and not let it sound like bragging/conversion attempt/a polyglot's euphoria.

Well, all that I've been doing at this log does not seem meaningless. I just miss
writing and talking about the subjects I love instead of just cramming in books. I miss
carrying on a significant project like when I used to work on music from all over the
world. That is, giving back what the world is so gently offering me. I'm just
accumulating treasures on my own while giving back too little or nothing at all. Since
everything has multiple sides, I also don't want to start working on something just for
the sake of self-recognition and appraisal. There's also that perfectionism bug that
prevents me from doing a lot of things. It's also a matter of finding a balance between
input and output - right now, as I said earlier, output keeps the bad quality time, and
it's always easy to keep adding input activities that are also fun

Now it's time to stop wandering and use pratical examples to demonstrate to which
extent I am worried about my lack of efficiency at language learning.

Chinese

I've started Chinese at June 2011. I've studied approximately 1 1/2 year (I consider
one year to consist of 200 workdays) for 15 minutes a day, then another six months for
half an hour and since then Ive been working on textbooks, podcasts and native
materials for about 1 hour a day. I can't evaluate my current level in Chinese, as I
can't for any other languages, but only now I've started to read a book in Chinese. I
should have started earlier at least with Chineese Breeze. Anyway, I did have a tough
time with textbooks, and yet my level is low. I can't keep a conversation (lack of
islands?), I can figure out sparse phrases from a video (a little more with subtitles)
and, as much as I feel all my work wasn't in vain, I always have the feeling I could be
employing my time better, and it's not merely a quality x quantity issue. I gave a hint
above that I need to try to understand the input in a more systemic way - actually I
should consistently keep on analyzing and summing up the input so that I understand it
in a more dynamic way which is how language actually takes place. Just like Assimil
again: you have analysis - word by word translation - and syntesis - idiomatic
translation and it's the combination of both that accounts for the understanding and
the preparation for the learner to be able to produce the sentence himself later. Well,
most of the times, I've work on at least one of those aspects very poorly. As much as
I've always assumed I was a visual learner, I also think I need the acoustic image of a
sentence to reverberate in my mind so that I can internalize it. It's hard to explain
that, but I need to approach each sentence in a way that I really want it to become a
part of my memory, of my repertoire; I need to tell myself I want this very sentence to
become one of the ways I can express myself and understand the world through. That
can't be done with a quick glance at original and translation, no matter how fast I can
"read" (that is, decypher sounds only).

Georgian

My frustration with Georgian is bigger than with Chinese. I know that the issue with
bad-quality materials plays a big roler, but even when I found a good source I'd still
work too fast on it. Even if I don't like to overlearn or to review stuff, at least
that first and unique approach should be slow enough for the information to sink in. It
doesn't suffice that I'd rationally understood a sentence; I need to be able to think
of how I would have said it myself in the language. That includes talking to oneself
when going through the sentences and imagining the context at which that very sentence
would actually be said by me or by another person. So, I started Georgian in January
2012, the first two years for 30 minutes a day and since then for approximately an
hour, too. Georgian, more than Chinese perhaps, makes it clear to me that I learn in an
onion or a spiral pattern. 1) I study phonology, basic vocabulary and simple sentencves
in the past tense 2) I proceed to more advanced tenses before I've mastered the basic
stuff 3) I start to deal with intermediate grammar while still lacking the intermediate
vocabulary 4) I'm more comfortable with grammar now; I start native materials and I see
there are so many words that I've seen before but I still don't know 5) Now it's
pointless to go through all the books again; I have to work on native materials and
expect the knowledge gaps to be filled little by little. I am at this stage now: my
active skills are almost at B1, but when I come to a real text there's no real "graded
reader" for selecting only the words a learner would typically have met. So, it turns
out that I can say more than I can understand, because when you know half the words you
can paraphrase a lot and get your point through, but you can't make the other half out
out of context.

Russian

I'm much less harsh on myself about Russian, because I've always treated it as of a
lower priority. I started it at November 2011 and I've been doing 15 minutes a day
until now, when I might have reached half an hour a day (well, there were some three or
four months when I was using Russianpod that also accounted for half an hour a day). If
I keep at this rythm I will soon be able to understand Russian better than Georgian; on
the other hand, my Georgian skills are existent and my Russian ones aren't, which is
self-assuring, considering how much more I've invested on Russian. Now that some
Russian aspects stopped being a nuisance, like phonology, and I start to be able to
tell some long words apart from one another, it's time I work again on setting the
foundations of declension and verbal aspect, so I can start making my own sentences in
the language. I really hope the onion-learning pattern applies to Russian, because it
means that with a few more layers of basic study I will manage to overcome a lot at
ocne: basic vocabulary, declension, word order and aspect. I've started Méthode 90 for
Russian, and I believe it will help activating my Russian. The exercises involve output
and are short enough to keep myself motivated. By the way, I saw the software
Russian for
all
and I think it is ok for doing those fill-in-the-blank exercises which are so
boring to do with pencil and paper. I managed to install it at both places and plan to
work on it as a post-schedule activity, after the Chinese reading and TV series I
seldom find time for.

Norwegian

The one that puzzles me the most. I don't know if my Norwegian is already functional. I
can watch a TV series and laugh when reading the subtitles, yet I may read a
contemporary novel and miss the context thanks to so many unknown words. I have the
feeling my input wouldn't be that bad, and the interference with German has diminished
a bit. Yet I expected to be closer to basic fluency now. I keep forgetting some core
words which I look up rather often.

French

Considering reevaluating my French. I'm watching a film without subtitles after three
ones with subtitles and I'm not sure if I have basic fluency yet. I browsed through the
lyrics of pop music and saw lots of unknown words. I still have a hard time reading a
contemporary novel that is set in the Middle Age. Oddly enough, I feel my written
skills might have improved a bit as I've started to do less spell errors and to get a
ear for what sounds non-native. I'm not sure if I've reached a passive B2, though. The
medicine has already been prescribed long ago: writing more and more often. The
Rencontres Francophones haven't taken place in town lately, and I don't Skype either. I
wonder if I should so some intensive learning again.

The other languages are ok: with German, it's too soon for me to develop any
expectations after this year's fast restarting; yet I start to feel that the newer
words aren't sticking anymore. Papiamento is mostly a fun time.

So, enough rant. While I'm still worried that my learning has been quite ineffective, I
still believe things will stick all at once, in a way that I will sense some epiphany
for each sublevel within each language. The mere fact I work in a systematic way
doesn't help the fact that learning actually happens in a caothic way, and most of my
activities have been thought as a way to favor synergy among them. I urgently need to
start delving into materials with intuition and aural perception, instead of just
reading and mostly through skimming. I need to process what is being heard and read so
that I apprehend it as part of my repertoire, instead of barely moving on as long as
the main point has been made. After all, I need to internalize structures before being
able to spit them out. Some people are satisfied with being parrots during the first
months; not me. And not when I've actually worked on the active skills beyond the
parrot time and when what I actually need is to fill in the many knowledge/competence
gaps left behind.
3 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4154 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 172 of 415
31 March 2014 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Passive and active skills are the unequal balance of my language learning.

I have the same belief that things will stick all at once, because it has happened to me before and because I need it to continue through a confusing jungle of words and concepts in my head. Otherwise I would have stopped several months ago.

That wasn't really a rant. It was very focused. So you owe us a good, all over the place rant :)

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4428 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 173 of 415
01 April 2014 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm not so good at being focused as you are always but I'll try.

As Renaissancemedi said, Passive and active skills are always unequal. I think we have
probably all gone through that same feeling of frustration for not being able to
express what we know we can understand. I know I have at least.

For your Chinese, don't underestimate yourself. You definitely have a really good base
and even more than just a base. Regarding your troubles for speaking, I'd say just go
for it and try. I know I understand less than you (you said yourself that Travel in
Chinese and Tutu are getting easier to understand and me I need to concentrate on the
subs or I almost won't understand anything) and yet when I arrived here I had a 4-5h
talk in Chinese the very first day. When you don't have a choice, you'll find a way to
express yourself. Maybe go to some kind of polyglot meeting or couchsurfing meeting or
even find a chinese partner and decide to only speak chinese, no matter how hard it is.
You'll see great results.
As for reading, as you know, there's no miracle remedy. Just go on doing your thing.
Now that you've started reading, you'll get good really fast considering the amount of
vocabulary you already have. As you said, it'll click at one point.

I was kinda surprised you "ranted" about Norwegian. Your progress for this language was
one the impressed me the most. You've been learning it for about a year and a half
right? That's incredible progress!

Quant à ton Français, les rares fois où je t'ai vu écrire en français, j'ai été
impressionné. L'usage des mots, des expressions et conjugaisons sont quasi tous
parfaits. Ne t'inquiètes pas de ne pas être à l'aise avec des textes sur le Moyen-Âge,
même pour nous autres Français, bien qu'on puisse les lire, les tournures de phrases
nous parraissent étranges et il peut même arriver qu'on ne comprenne que le "sentiment"
d'une phrase et qu'on ne soit pas à même de "traduire" ça en Français moderne.

Go on, I'm sure you're the only one not satisfied with your levels ;) And if you want
to share, do it here, go or into the wild, you'll find people listening in both cases
:)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 174 of 415
01 April 2014 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Well, I really don't expect I'd feel like ranting all over the place ;)

I may leave the impression that I'm progressing more than I actually am. just
completing a book doesn't mean I've mastered it. I tend not to overlearn, on the
contrary; I may go through a book and retain almost nothing from it. I finished
monolingual textbooks for Norwegian that are meant for C1 level, but I might still be
at a B1 level.

I think you misunderstood me for Tutu and Travel in Chinese, yuhakko. I can understand
parts of it thanks to both the subtitles and the speech. I don't have an easy time at
all. I do believe there's some dormant vocabulary waiting to be reinforced and lately
consolidated. Let's see how the next months will come by.

Morning

Today was the day I got the most from Tutu. His parents were trying to teach him to
swim. I could follow most of the story as well as what he usually says at the end, an
advice to other kids. As for Memrise, HSK 2 is over. I only have some watering to do
later and tomorrow I start HSK 3. If it's too repetitive, I may not do watering, only
do planting faster.

Daily schedule

Following yesterday's notes, I tried to study in a more concentrated way, actually
paying attention to associate words and meanings.

I realized Chinese and Russian podcasts both take a lot of time. I'm spending my first
half hour on them, which includes reading (Chinese has average 6 and Russian has 8
pages).

The good news as of today is that the Georgian studies are taking shorter and
allowing myself to go through them with more attention, not getting bored with too long
excerpts. I studied two videos from Culture Talk. They were quite interesting and
useful, only that audio got lost when it wasn't the interviewer who was talking. The
conversation sounds quite natural and idiomatic, and I really expect to learn a lot
from it. And it's just a short video on a daily topic plus transcriptions in Georgian
and translation in English. You see it doesn't take much to make a good language
resource, yet people want to reinvent the wheel and sell off so many false, dumbed-down
methods.

I forgot to mention that I started reading Kurze Grammatik der Georgischen
Sprache
in German. The first page was a bit more tiresome but then it got into more
familiar stuff and today I found it quite useful. I could read on familiar topics while
learning some abstract German words in a more consistent way. I'm still on the
introduction and I hope I can get to actual Georgian grammar soon. I hope this book
will come up with some good sample sentences and will help me consolidate grammar so
that I don't have to worry about looking things up all the time and so that I can make
sense out of just a text and a translation in a more reliable way.

Stuyding from Perfectionnement Allemand, on the contrary, has been quit etime-
consuming. It seems both this one and Méthode 90 for Russian took over
the time I recovered from Georgian. At Perfectionnement I spend a really good deal
learning notes. I just skim through them, and yet it's quite many minutes. I find it
ganz useless to have notes that outnumber the actual content of a lesson (28 notes in a
lesson with 18 paragraphs, while the text of the notes is longer as well). I've just
posted a
topic
at which I ask how each person deals with the notes at an Assimil book.
Anyway, although the notes are a nuisance now, my German study is going well. I'm
currently at lesson 22 at Perfectionnement Allemand and I'm reading that Georgian
grammar I mentioned above. I think Pefectionnement Allemand's lessons are getting
easier with time and I'm able to follow them quite comfortably.

I'm orphan of a Norwegian series again. Nattskiftet har endet i dag
(d.v.s. jeg har nettopp sett episoden 12). Som det var morsomt! Hele serien handler om
gale fyrer som jobber på en bensinstasjon. Nå vet jeg ikke hva jeg skulle se. Det
finnes Hjem (men med svenske undertekst) og Helt Peffekt (uten undertekst). Jeg skulle
heller laste ned applikasjonen til NRK og se på dagens programmer, men det vil ikke
virke på min gamle tablet med iOs 5.1, bare på den nye som jeg forlater alltid hjemme.
Å, det er også 'I kveld med Ylvis'! Det er mange videoer med engelske undertekster, og
nå at norsken min blir bedre, kanskje skulle jeg forstå spøkene rask nok.

I'm trying my best with Russe 90. Going slower than usual, paying attention to the
sentences being repeated, writing down exercises that ask to translate into Russian and
doing mentally the fill-in-the-blank ones. I'm really more comfortable with Russian
phonetics aftert the previous book, and that leaves room to give morphology a better
look. That is, it was much harder to focus on the endings when they all seemed to blur
to my eyes. And even if that is actually the case quite often (with adjectives, for
instance), now I have a better idea of when this will happen, so I can understand when
the ending changes only in writing and when pronunciation should also do the
distinction. This was something that has put me off in Russian and I'm glad I've
overcome it.

Plans for the future: I'm slowly starting to write at my target languages. Still
haven't solved the issue with availability for voice chat sessions, but at least I see
some improvement in my Chinese listening and it's becoming real fun to watch Chinese
TV. I want to keep working on the supplementary resources whenever possible while
trying to find more opportunities for practice, even if that means only text chatting.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 175 of 415
02 April 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Not much happened today. Watched Tutu in the morning, started a new Memrise - HSK 3 -
which still consists mostly of reviewing. I decided I'll try not to water the chapters
that consist only of reviewing. Instead, I will try to do two chapters a day when
possible.

I should say first that yesterday, after posting here, I managed to do a lot of
activities. I chatted at Sharedtalk with a Norwegian who works at a travel agency and
is learning Spanish and Portuguese. We text-chatted for almost an hour in Norwegian and
I didn't need to switch to English in order to explain anything. He would correct
occasional tips, but also complimented me for my Norwegian. And I seldom would have to
translate my thoughts.

Later that day I also finished one story from Chinese Reading Practice and
watched a bit more from the Chinese series from 后厨. I had also chatted in Norwegian
and Italian in another chat. I believe I'm getting a bit more of practice at that.

I had an idea last afternoon that I should have had earlier in order to overcome the
lack of 'Papiamento' as a language choice at communities such as italki and Lang-8: I
searched for people from Aruba and The Netherlands Antilles! I had several results at
italki, but unfortunately it's all people who haven't been active lately and so I
didn't get any replies so far. As a revanche, I joined most groups labelled under
Papiamento at FB.The one which is active is in Dutch, but I'll keep an eye on it
nonetheless.

This morning I tried voicechatting but I'm having this issue that all 'positions' are
taken at SharedTalk, and usually one person shows up as available at the menu only
because the number turns even. A Russian contacted but we couldn't hear each other
well.

Perfectionnement Allemand's notes were boring as usual. Russe 90 was quite nice, I'm
really filling in the gaps in my knowledge of Russian. The Fench saga that takes place
in the Middle Ages is the least expected moment of the day, while I'm about to finish
the Norwegian book 'Beatles', although I'm not getting much from extensive reading. I'm
really curious how my understanding will be for the next Norwegian book.

Speaking of Norwegian, I started the series 'Hjem'. Unfortunately the subtitles are in
Swedish, and I realized it's not a good enough crutch. I do get to understand something
from the Norwegian sound, but I've been watching the series extensively and as a result
I'm not following as much from the plot as I've been used to. There are also some gaps
in my collection - episodes 4, 6 and 7. If all goes wrong, I go for Ylvis then films. I
believe I don't need series that much now anymore. I can 'downgrade' Norwegian to 10
minutes a day from a film, as I do with French. I'm glad my active skills aren't that
weak.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 176 of 415
03 April 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Over 14 years ago, when I started learning languages, I expected that when I turned 30
I'd have become a polyglot. I thought I'd be working on close languages such as the big
5 (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian) all that time and then I'd be able to
consider myself a polyglot, even if I'd still be eager for more. I also expected I'd
have a comfortable life, a place to live etc.

The day has come, and, as much as I know that I don't exactly have a career and ended
up doing nothing like what I went to uni for, I have a feeling of self-accomplishment.
I learned to know myself and to understand others. And I do have a solid job now, and
not only that, it allows me to work on my favorite job that is languages. I learned to
dance, to have a healthy lifestyle, to be more tolerant. And I resumed my language
learning in the most intense, rewarding and self-motivating way I could ever imagine.

The most important feeling to get rid of now is to think about 'lost time'. Yes, there
are people who started at 16, too, and have a better time, with better resources, a
more connected world and a lot of advice on the pitfalls of wanderlusting, posing and
such. Yet I think these years weren't a waste at all. I did miss a lot due to not being
aware of the importance of regularity, but when I stopped, I did stop, so, every clock
apart from the biological one stopped running. I may think I 'wasted' the best years of
my memory's capacity because I didn't manage to learn 3, 4 languages to fluency when I
was a highschool student, but the best part of my life is yet to come. The more I
learn, the more I become interested and sometimes knowledge seems to grow exponentially
as we start to make connections.

The learning process itself, on the other hand, happens in a spiral, not linearly. And
that is when 14 years of reflections teach us that time is not wasted and our brain
isn't a think tank that just has to be filled with wordlists. The way I studied German
and Russian prove that. At one given point, I just didn't seem to be ready for the
extra knowledge I was supposed to achieve. I had to live other aspects of life to allow
me that broader view that would work as the background for more acquisition. At one
point, languages ceased to make sense for themselves, and I ceased to work on them.
Only later I could go back to them, when I realized the appropriate role it had to have
in my life. For a few years, they had been a way to escape, an excuse for
procrastinating on the most essential things. Now they are a prize for a balanced life.
If I can work on my languages now, it's because I learned to work on what is essential
in my life, and to be patient and indulgent with the many paths life takes. If I wake
up tomorrow and realize I won't have time to work on languages as intensively as I am
now, I'll feel fine, because I'll know the various techniques to make a better use of
my time. Most important, I'll have already harvested the fruits that language learning
brought me: I can already read and watch a range of works in a few languages: so,
nothing would have been in vain anymore, not the way it was when I just dabbled and
didn't make much progress.

I really need to let go of the past. I write in a spiral, too, going back and forth,
while what I am really trying to do is forgive myself for the 'wasted time' and
convince myself that 30 is still early and that I can work on my major languages
comfortably as well as dabble in a few others. It's not that I'd have progressed
linearly if I had kept working since 2000. I needed a lot of things to happen, both
internally and externally, a number of paradigm shifts: a life, a job, a better
attitude, a multitude of resources/apps that didn't exist back in 2000 and, most of
all, a supporting, friendly, hardworking community like HTLAL. I have been on other
communities for a long time, but people didn't take themselves or the others serious
enough. Again, maturity also played a role on this.

So, now that I know I've learned more in the past three years than in 5 years during my
first attempt, I should also admit that what I learned at the first 'season' did set
the background, especially linguistically, for what would come later - back in 2012,
when I started Georgian, I had already satiated my linguistic curiosity, so it was not
like 'Oh I'm going to start Warlpiri tomorrow because I find it trendy' anymore.
Dabbling was buried, commitment could grow fully and take the place it should always
have had in my life, which I'd often neglect thanks to a wrong mindset.

I did lose something important in the past two years: the fear of success, at least in
the language learning field. It was quite embarassing to have people say "look, this
guy is a polyglot" only to deny and say "no, my English is not fluent, my Spanish is
just average portuñol and I can read French and Italian". Laypeople always mistake
being studying a language for speaking a language. Now when people say I'm a polyglot
and ask me which languages I speak I don't have to feel outraged for carrying on a
reputation I don't deserve. Now after only two years I can say "I speak English,
French, and Papiamento fluently and I can get by in Norwegian, German, Georgian and
Chinese". No more identity crisis. I don't have to feel bad about myself for having a
hobby that doesn't actually represent usable knowledge.

Now, the future. I do like to make plans for the future. I allow myself not to let them
turn into an obsession. We should have something to offer to life, as much as it may
give something else back. What we plan are trends, and we should be able to adapt
according to those trends. Fortunately I've dabbled enough: Spanish, French, Italian,
German, Norwegian, Serbian, Georgian, Mandarin, Papiamento, Syriac, Turkish, Polish,
Russian, Esperanto, Estonian, Indonesian, Inuktitut, Sami, Czech, Catalan, Arabic,
Hebrew, Hindi, Persian, Tetun, Dutch...I know what's priority and what's not, and what
is ruled out.

One more thought, resuming what I wrote two days ago: I need to give back all that life
is giving me. To stop being selfish and to do more for the others, or at least write my
two grains of advice.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version